Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yes, I want an EDC bag/backpack. Suggestions?

These were great, thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    This is the small pouch on the top, which I have filled with a basic survival kit:

In the larger pouch just below that, I have a GSW kit:

In the main pouch I happen to have some rifle magazines from my outing earlier, and I placed my 13" MacBookPro in there for size reference:

In the hydration pouch I have the Maxpedition universal CCW holster that holds a rifle magazine in perfect position for a reload:

Or a pistol:

Closed:

Let me know if you want to see any other angles, or if you want me to place other items in the pouches so you can get a good idea of the size.

The thin strap that mirrors the large strap fastens under the opposite arm that you have the pack slung on to stabilize the bag when you are moving around a lot, or riding a bike (only time I use it) etc..

So, after careful consideration, I've elected to go with something completely different:

I decided to see if I could go with less "tactical and extreme adventure" and with more mundane without sacrificing any of the functionality I was looking for. TNF is pretty popular in the STL, especially in my areas of the county where the wilderness chic fad hit pretty hard. I stopped in at my local REI this AM to see what they could do for me, and picked up that and some Keen Gypsum mid hikers. Both the boots and the pack got their first trial run today, after criss-crossing the city over a 7 hour period with both kids. Worked great!

The Pack is currently loaded with

* 25 ft Paracord
    *Duct Tape
    * Compact but comprehensive medical kit, which includes everything in an IFAK
    *Various medical supplies (ibuprofen, allergy meds, etc)
    *Spare food (energy bars, snaks for the kids)
    *extra water (2 nalgene bottles)
    *multitool
    *spare knife
    *spare ammo (2 mags and a speed loader)
    *Ipod
    *Kindle
    *assorted cords for both of the above
    *Pens, pad, and Chalk
    *spare flashlight and spare batteries
    *spare rain ponchos for me and the kids
    *Compass
    *spare fire starting equipment (lighters, matches, etc)
    *Pepper spray
    * a packable collapsing waterproof nylon bucket (I figured, I'm on a roll, so what the hell?)
    *Bandana

On this day, it also had a 70 oz Platypus bladder and a small supply of diapers and wipes. And a teddy bear. That stuff can be ditched in favor of the laptop and accessories during the work week. Very comfortable all day, loving it so far.
    " One of the tribesmen in Thrace now delights in the shield I discarded /Unwillingly near a bush, for it was perfectly good /But at least I got myself safely out. Why should I care for that shield? / Let it go. Some other time I'll find another no worse. - Archilochus
    "To take the uninstructed to war is to throw them away" - Confucious

Quote Originally Posted by mariodsantana View Post
    I carry the Sitka these days. [...] ETA: now that I've gone to check out the GoRuck bags, the GR2 actually reminds me quite a bit of my Big Brain Bag. I may have to get an Echo - I love my Sitka but the whole sling-pack thing is getting a little old...
    Just a quick update.

Not too long after posting this, I noticed that my back would hurt after long sessions with the Sitka loaded up for travel. Realized that the single shoulder sling just plain isn't very comfortable for extended sessions with anything heavier than a MBAir + accessories. So I bought a GR1 from GoRuck. Holy cow, I love that bag. Definitely reminds me of my Tom Binh bags, just in terms of attention to detail, quality cloth, pockets and features designed for real-world use rather than theoreticals, and ultimately a surprising level of comfort when carrying a full load. Unlike the Tom Binh bags, the GR1 (and, near as I can tell, the other GoRuck bags as well) have a certain sleek elegance that I appreciate.

I've switched to the GR1 for full-time use - even when it's half-empty on simple commuter days, it's at least as comfortable as the Sitka. Even though it's larger than the Sitka, it's much more slick and has less crap hanging off it, catching at door jambs and etc. I'm still in the process of optimizing for my various use cases, switching where I put things now and then, but even so I'm a happy rucker.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

After reading some of the comments here and elsewhere on the web I decided to buy a GR1 for myself. Good news is they gave me a 25% discount for being a veteran. Bad news is poor quality control and using foreign materials when they specifically highlight the fact that they use all 100% American materials. I'd read on the EDC forums that other people were experiencing the same issues so I decided to return mine. One thing to note is that Goruck didn't offer to send me a new bag and simply offered to repair a brand new shoddy bag that they sent out. Completely unacceptable and especially for the price. Email exchange below as a reference.

Hi Julie,

I would like to return my Java GR1 (Order 798XX) for a refund. The bag has not been used and is in new condition. My reasons for wanting a refund are the inattention to detail in the sewing process and using foreign made materials in the construction.

The MOLLE webbing on the sides is not stitched properly and has resulted in uneven loops with ends sticking out. On the body side of the shoulder straps the stitching has exposed thread loops, for lack of a better term, and is not pulled tight like it should be. It's only a matter of time before they snag on something and become unraveled or torn out.

My understanding, as per your website, was that Goruck's bags were made in the USA using all American made materials and this was one of the primary reasons I could use to justify the high price. The YKK zippers used to construct my bag are of foreign origin, Taiwan, and that contradicts your company's claims which is disappointing.

"YKK zippers are the only zippers I trust because I’ve subjected them to everything, and seen them perform during Middle Eastern sandstorms and after being dragged through the mud. GORUCK uses YKK zippers, the made in the USA versions of course, and we will not be developing any of our own, ever."

Please let me know how you'd like for me to proceed. Thank you for your time and consideration.
    Their response.

Thank you so much for reaching out - I am more than happy to grant
    your request for a refund and address your concerns. First of all, I'd
    like to apologize on behalf of all of us at GORUCK for your
    disappointment with our gear. We completely understand and hope you'll
    take the time to read some explanation.

Your ruck was clearly not properly inspected during our Quality
    Control process, and we apologize. While we can absolutely process and
    refund and return immediately, we'd love the opportunity to bring your
    ruck up to standard and return it back to you in the proper condition.

All you'll need to do is let me know if you'd like to request a
    shipping label for a return and full refund, or if you'd like to have
    our SCARS team repair your ruck.

I'd further like to apologize for any miscommunication regarding the
    construction of our gear. GORUCK gear is 100% built in the USA, and we
    source components that are also manufactured in the USA as much as
    possible
    . At the time the GR1 Explained post was written, we did use
    YKK zippers available that were made in the USA. However, we found YKK
    made better zippers abroad and weren't able to source the USA-made
    zippers due to volume issues. We went with the higher quality zippers
    and will continue to make decisions based on quality and source
    everything that we possibly can here in the States. That commitment
    and balance is something we share with other companies that
    manufacture in the USA.

I will be awaiting your instructions.

-Julie at GRHQ
    I ordered an Arc'teryx Blade 24 as a replacement. Update to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    One thing to note is that Goruck didn't offer to send me a new bag and simply offered to repair a brand new shoddy bag that they sent out.
    -- Irish, I think you're way off base. I think that their reply was complete, cogent, and reasonable, and pretty well phrased. I think that by offering to refund or repair they were going as far as they needed to go. I think worrying about where your zippers come from is preoccupation with incidental increments. You're well within your rights -- I just think your standards don't match mine.

I did buy a GR1 after reading this forum, about 6 months ago, and have been very happy with it.

I normally haven't been one to carry a bag of any kind, unless it's a backpack on a trip/when necessary. I have a briefcase for work, and can't carry a gun when at work. This said, the recent addition of our son got me looking for a daddy diaper bag. I wanted something with a good size to it, but not too big. I also wanted an over the shoulder carry vs. backpack style due to being hot in the Summer (I'm hot-natured).

I opted for the Maxpedition Mongo, and it has been a great choice so far. Plenty of pockets/space for baby stuff, an EDC compartment, hook/loop inside pockets for mounting of modular accessories, internal and external PALS, strong, 32oz water bottle pocket, and water proof.

I'm not a fan of off body carry, so I won't be using it to carry my weapon, but it is nice having the option. Overall, I'm very happy with the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    -- Irish, I think you're way off base. I think that their reply was complete, cogent, and reasonable, and pretty well phrased. I think that by offering to refund or repair they were going as far as they needed to go. I think worrying about where your zippers come from is preoccupation with incidental increments. You're well within your rights -- I just think your standards don't match mine.

I did buy a GR1 after reading this forum, about 6 months ago, and have been very happy with it.
    Repair a brand new bag, with poor construction? They want to "fix it" rather than replace it and you think that's acceptable? It's not for me and not for the premium price they charge.

Secondly, the zipper issue isn't something I'm preoccupied with and has everything to do with what is commonly called "bait and switch". When the owner of the company is so adamant about where his supplies are sourced from that he states on his company's website: "YKK zippers are the only zippers I trust because I’ve subjected them to everything, and seen them perform during Middle Eastern sandstorms and after being dragged through the mud. GORUCK uses YKK zippers, the made in the USA versions of course, and we will not be developing any of our own, ever." Then I expect him to deliver on that and not supply Taiwan zippers. His words, not mine.

People are paying for a premium product in hopes that they're supporting American workers in American factories, manufacturing and assembling those products in America. If you're not going to do that than don't emphatically state that on your company website. If he wouldn't have posted it then I would've simply returned the bag for it's poor construction and left it at that. And my bag was not some sort of anomaly either after further reading on other sites.

Site Supporter
    Irish,

Return the GR1 and buy a Redoxx C-ruck for half the price. And it comes in about 20 colors. I've had the mini for 3 years now, dragged it all over the world and it's still in great shape. They use YKK zippers and it USA made. I think you will be pleased with it.

I've been rocking a TAD litespeed for almost a year now. I've used it on range days, traveling and even business trips. It does have quite a bit of molle but it works well.
    Chemist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackdog View Post
    Irish,

Return the GR1 and buy a Redoxx C-ruck for half the price. And it comes in about 20 colors. I've had the mini for 3 years now, dragged it all over the world and it's still in great shape. They use YKK zippers and it USA made. I think you will be pleased with it.
    ...the C-Ruck is $235. GR1 is $295.
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I'm comfortable sitting on the couch in my boxers fiddling with my balls, but I don't fight like that.

User Tag List