Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W 640 Pro Series

Site Supporter
    My next planned purchase is a S&W m&p 340 to replace the 642 I have been pocket carrying for the last 15 years. I just picked up a used P2000sk Lem that was traded in for a new p30sk. What holster do you recommend DB? Anyone know if a safariland model 27 for a P30 will work for the P2000sk?

Can I play, too:

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

[QUOTE Anyone know if a safariland model 27 for a P30 will work for the P2000sk?[/QUOTE]

P30 holsters will work for a P2000 or 2000SK. You'll have empty space in the bottom of the holster but it will fit the slide and trigger guard.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    M&P 340 customized by JOJO's and fitted with a Ti cylinder....sickly light.

Then I spied a P30SK V1 LEM. Have never seen a LEM one in the wild, got a good deal on an LE gun, and so far should make a neat back up to one of my P30L's. My primary P2000Sk will stay as a dedicated deep concealment pistol, but the SK does make a nice back up for the P30L where they feel the same and share some parts plus I will set them up with identical sights, trigger, etc.
    So I have to ask, do you have a VIP parking spot in front of these gun stores? There are times when the main reason I log onto this forum is to see what Nyeti bought this week....

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    So I have to ask, do you have a VIP parking spot in front of these gun stores? There are times when the main reason I log onto this forum is to see what Nyeti bought this week....
    As Wayne says to me: "you're like a dog killin chickens". The simple fact is I found a way to enjoy guns again...which is the collectable revolvers. This reinvigoration has led to taking a hard look at the snubs and their role in a solid self-defense program. The P30SK and Ti cylinder M&P340 were actually a bit out of line with what I have been turning dollars into. In truth, I traded into both which is simply a change in priorities on working guns. Now, the things like in the box unfired Colt's, and very rare prewar Smith's.....401K that I like.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Trust me, I am only jealous...

A The simple fact is I found a way to enjoy guns again...which is the collectable revolvers. This reinvigoration has led to taking a hard look at the snubs and their role in a solid self-defense program.

I had a really good conversation with Chuck Haggard last week and we were discussing snubs and their role. He had some good thoughts on the differences between a 642 (that I already have) and a 640pro.

Darryl, with your recent focus on the snubs, what do you think about doing the work training wise with a 640pro, but carrying a 642? Do you think it makes enough of a difference in practical use? Will I get too locked into the easier shooting of the heavier gun vs the 642? Or am I overthinking this?
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Any chance I could talk you (or Chuck) into sharing those thoughts?
    A lot of it was my whining about maybe selling my 642 to fund my purchase of a pro as a replacement. Chuck's point was that the 642 was not fun to shoot for extended periods. Which I totally concurred with, as after running one through an entire ECQC course, my hands were not in good shape. Chuck said the pro was perfect to shoot, but being heavier was less useful as a pocket carry, and better suited to something like Dark Star Gear's clip on AIWB. The 642 was a bitch to shoot much with, but was so easy to pocket carry, even in my weekday attire of dress slacks. We both agreed that the snub was awfully nice in the entangled fight role, so there is good place for them, but not all of them are exactly interchangeable. Which I had not put as much thought in as guys like Chuck has.

And hence my question to nyeti about shooting one a lot, but relying on the carry of the other.
    Last edited by Cecil Burch; 03-03-2016 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    I had a really good conversation with Chuck Haggard last week and we were discussing snubs and their role. He had some good thoughts on the differences between a 642 (that I already have) and a 640pro.

Darryl, with your recent focus on the snubs, what do you think about doing the work training wise with a 640pro, but carrying a 642? Do you think it makes enough of a difference in practical use? Will I get too locked into the easier shooting of the heavier gun vs the 642? Or am I overthinking this?
    Truthfully, I think the biggest benefit of the 640 PRO is to have an airweight trainer. A gun you can shoot, and shoot a lot. A gun you can run drills with that allow for good performance, and to be able to work at greater distance. Airweights are carry a lot , shoot a little guns.....no matter what anyone else says. It also keeps them far more reliable to not shoot them much. Unfortunately, this has translated to "just not shoot much". The steel frame snubs let you train and get good shooting snubs, which is a HUGE dividend payer with your actual carry guns and BUGS. Honestly, with my arthritis, I am not going to go shoot my daily carried 340's much. I actually enjoy running the 640's (training with a standard 640 and it's more normal sights is not that much of an issue) and shooting them.....which translates to live trigger presses.
    In my experience...in an actual shooting, recoil, muzzle blast, and trigger pull itself will all be audible and tactile muted. What I remember is trigger movement and not weight, and hugely increased visual acuity....all of which are compatible with training with a steel snub and carrying an airweight.
    Hope this helps.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Truthfully, I think the biggest benefit of the 640 PRO is to have an airweight trainer. A gun you can shoot, and shoot a lot. A gun you can run drills with that allow for good performance, and to be able to work at greater distance. Airweights are carry a lot , shoot a little guns.....no matter what anyone else says. It also keeps them far more reliable to not shoot them much. Unfortunately, this has translated to "just not shoot much". The steel frame snubs let you train and get good shooting snubs, which is a HUGE dividend payer with your actual carry guns and BUGS. Honestly, with my arthritis, I am not going to go shoot my daily carried 340's much. I actually enjoy running the 640's (training with a standard 640 and it's more normal sights is not that much of an issue) and shooting them.....which translates to live trigger presses.
    In my experience...in an actual shooting, recoil, muzzle blast, and trigger pull itself will all be audible and tactile muted. What I remember is trigger movement and not weight, and hugely increased visual acuity....all of which are compatible with training with a steel snub and carrying an airweight.
    Hope this helps.
    Perfect! Exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks much. Chuck was on the same page as well.

The only problem is that it was going to be a bit easier getting it past the wife if I could tell her I am selling one gun to buy another. Now, I will have to figure a way to sell "No, honey, this gun will be in addition to everything else, and I really, really need this one".................

User Tag List