Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Handgun Accuracy Fundamentals: Trigger Control

i've been working on my trigger control now want to work on my press outs. im young and still like high contrast targets at least that way i can pretend i see what im shooting at. im left handed right eye dominant so i've got that going for me..

Quote Originally Posted by derekb View Post
    I can exhibit perfect trigger control when dry firing, but I notice when I'm at the range, I tend to 'forget' about it until I start missing. Then I have to mentally slow myself down and think about the trigger.
    I think maybe everyone has this problem, to some degree. My only formal training is 8 hours 1-on-1 with Frank Garcia, and his advice on this is that you should work all the shooting mechanics into subconscious muscle memory, except for the actual trigger pull. Basically, have your visual focus on the front sight, and your tactile focus on feeling the trigger with your finger. Don't know if this will ever go away, but I certainly shoot better when I split my attention that way - otherwise I "forget" about the perfect trigger pull...

Also, I'll add that doing D&B drills with an uncomfortable gun has helped me a lot with anticipation. I do them with a J frame in 38spl - talk about a tough trigger and felt recoil! I load 4 live rounds and 1 spent case, then I load 1 live round and 4 spent cases. This alternates between many bangs and one click, vs many clicks and one bang (ball-and-dummy vs dummy-and-ball.) It's also convenient, because I go through 10 cycles of this with one box of ammo. Ouch, though - that's usually as much as I'll shoot the J frame in one trip! I also do the magazine shuffle with whichever semi-auto I have along - I'll load one mag with 10% dummies, another with 50%, and another with 90%, to get the same B&D vs D&B dynamic. But I definitely feel like I get more anti-anticipation benefit from the J frame B&D drills.
    Last edited by MDS; 03-05-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: clarify...

This is a great thread. Any chance of making it a sticky?
    --
    Formerly hombre gris
    I am no longer LEO, never .MIL. I am .DAD and my attitude will reflect that.
    Cogito ergo armatus sum -- I think, therefore I am armed

Banned
    Point of order: With a Glock there is no "trigger return spring." The trigger spring actually aids in the trigger pull, and a heavier trigger spring makes for a lighter trigger (obviously the NY springs work quite a bit differently).

The initial take up resisted by the striker spring and the firing pin safety spring.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by beltjones View Post
    Point of order: With a Glock there is no "trigger return spring." The trigger spring actually aids in the trigger pull, and a heavier trigger spring makes for a lighter trigger (obviously the NY springs work quite a bit differently).
    Actually, only the standard spring aids in pulling the trigger. The NY1 and NY2 springs do serve much like a traditional trigger return spring.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Actually, only the standard spring aids in pulling the trigger. The NY1 and NY2 springs do serve much like a traditional trigger return spring.
    That's why I said the NY trigger springs are different.

User Tag List