Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 pistol-training.com Endurance Test Gun ANNOUNCED!

[QUOTE=ToddG;72149]
    Quote Originally Posted by blr View Post
    While the SA (Metalform) mags have fixed floorplates, they are the benchmark in 9mm mags.[/quoted]

You're the first person that's said so to me. They're 9rd, yes? Yes. IIRC.

The Wilson ETM mag has been universally recommended to me by the people I trust with the most experience running/building 9mm 1911s. The only complaint I've heard is that they will not always drop free when there are rounds still in the mag, and that the Tripp mags solve that problem.

The gun is coming with a pair of SA mags, and I've got a dozen Wilson ETM and half a dozen Tripp mags on the way.

I answered the caliber question above. I don't understand the other questions.
    Yeah, sorry for the repeat on caliber - I read the thread too fast first time trough.

Here's the reason I prefer Tripps: Wilson mags were first 45 mags, then modified to sub-caliber. Keep that in mind. Second, SA fits slide stops very tightly. Without good strong springs, you may get failure to lock on empty. Though, I do not have the 9mm experience some do. My 1911s all "shoot major."

Tripp's 9mm were 9mms from the start. Metal followers that engage the slide stop more aggressively and better no-tip followers in my limited experience. That's why I use them exclusively for my 10mms and 38Supers.

But again, I'm far, far from a 9mm 1911 expert.

Cheers,

Bill

ETA: You might not notice a failure to lock back problem from the start by racking the slide back by hand. Again, this is 38S experience being translated to 9mm experience. YMMV.
    Last edited by BLR; 05-19-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    So powerful the FAST will be altered to 3 shots to the 8" circle when using 5.7x28.
    And no head shots. Because it would violate the Geneva Convention.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    And no head shots. Because it would violate the Geneva Convention.
    Might see a sub 2 second FAST real soon then.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Todd - are you going to track magazines? In other words, at least I would be interested to follow problems as they relate to magazines. With ETMs it's easy, they have dots on the bottom you can put a dab of white out on.

Also, will you be doing a comparison of the ETM and Tripps?

FWIW - my 10mm "Pro Rail" gun feeds and ejects empties all day long. Now if I could only teach it to feed empties and eject live ammo I'd be set....

When you were familiarizing with the 45 Pro, did you find the grip safety disengaged properly for your grip? I usually tell the builder to go with a disengagement at 25% travel. Again, YMMV, but it truly sucks to not hit the palm swell right then wonder why your gun didn't go bang.

Anyway, I'll be following enthusiastically.

Since you've got a pair of them coming, the answer to your to your 12+1 minimum problem is fairly straightforward, albeit heavy.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Congrats on your pick Todd. I think you must be given some credit for going with a gun/design that you are not that fond of for a second year in a row. Best of luck to you.

Two weapons handling/shooting related questions:

1- Do you think you will be able to do your typical reload method of pre-loading the slide release with the 1911? Seems like a pretty far reach and extended slide release levers are out of the question.

2- Do you think that shooting a 1911 for 50,000 rounds will affect your trigger manipulation skills/ability? As in do you think it's possible to develop bad habits shooting the 1911 trigger for so long? Kinda like when you had to "re-learn" recoil control with the HK45 coming from shooting so much 9mm.

Site Supporter
    I am highly interested in this, as I have a 9mm SA Loaded Target model (currently undergoing the 2K round challenge).

For what it's worth, Metalform also makes 10-round magazines, which are the best I've tried -in my gun- so far. The 9-round Metalforms supplied with the gun worked fine too. My 10-round Wilson Combat mags do not always feed the first round from the magazine successfully. I think Metalform got the design right.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    1) Thanks, you saved me another hour or two of fiddling.

2) Will be interesting to see how that feels appendix.

Actually, one of the SME's here at P-F.com carries one just like that appendix all the time...and he is like 5'-6".

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

I'll definitely be staying with appendix carry. I'm hoping to get one of John Ralston's new aiwb rigs for it (which have been tested extensively in conjunction with a Springfield Professional Operator)

Consider it done...should be on the way next week.

I am very interested to see how the 1911 trigger effects your press out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

User Tag List