Page 83 of 206 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk PDW's

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    What make/model is that 6 in .300 ?

thanks
    It's a KAC SR-16 selector fire lower - with a personally built upper.
    I used a KAC URX4 for the hand guard - as for a gun like this, I am fine with burying the can under the handguard. I had the barrel done to my spec's by Sterling Arsenal, here in VA.

I built it simply as a proof of concept for an entity - and I ended up loving it.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    For sure.

I've asked about this up thread but haven't seen a lot of answers.

There are people in this thread I understand are carrying PDWs or similar as part of their profession, where the facility to carry and deploy from within a vehicle or bag is planned and practiced. I'd like to learn how civilians are doing this either as the sole occupant of a car or with passengers.
    Bagged guns -- take with you, or if not possible - a secure storage in a trunk, or lock box in a SUV.
    I don't leave it in the vehicle unless its locked up in a box - or I am in a secure entry/exit controlled parking area, and it may cause a bigger issue to lock it up...
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    That’s a great looking set up! How are you liking the 9K? I have one for my APC9 but am eager to try it on my 300BLK. With all the social distancing I haven’t been able to get to a range.
    I love it - I mentioned above I was looking at this originally as a proof of concept -- I had a size constraint to make that made it so I needed to be under 10.25" for the barrel/can length - I made it by .01

For super sonic - its enough it can be shot from a vehicle with out ears, if you don't make a habit of it, subs can do that all day.
    The goal was simply a small terminally effective system that could fit in a box and be fired immediately if needed.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    I love it - I mentioned above I was looking at this originally as a proof of concept -- I had a size constraint to make that made it so I needed to be under 10.25" for the barrel/can length - I made it by .01

For super sonic - its enough it can be shot from a vehicle with out ears, if you don't make a habit of it, subs can do that all day.
    The goal was simply a small terminally effective system that could fit in a box and be fired immediately if needed.
    Excellent. Thanks! I’m dying to try mine and see how it compares to the Hybrid.

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    As a civvie, if my head is screwed on and I'm seeing these indicators, it's time for escape and avoidance. Especially if I am with my family and have no dog in the fight.

I see no issue with owning or carrying a PDW, however you want to define it. I certainly want to own a 300BLK SBR with a LAW folder, because its CAF. There are circumstances where I can see myself carrying it in a bag but actually employing it? Really hard to see because if I have time to deploy, I have time to turn the fuck around and leave.
    I think you have the right idea.

I think the PDW idea as we're talking about in this thread is a "fun gun" for most applications, though some people in the thread have clearly articulated uses. I'd be inclined to use a bag gun if civil unrest were to occur, but otherwise my personal LAW folder Mk18 is really just for convenience, so I can carry it in my range bag instead of a range bag + a rifle case.

As someone who does it for work, carrying a "substantial" gun in a bag for more than the walk from the car to the shooting lane is also kind of a PITA. Taking a walk with the wife and then hitting the grocery store before stopping off at Starbucks for a foo-foo latte isn't how I imagine myself carrying a bagged gun unless it's an off-body Glock 19 because I'm wearing gym shorts. I'm not sure what would encourage a person to routinely carry a "PDW" in that everyday context if it's not for professional reasons.

Like you wrote, it's hard to deny that a svelte little blaster like KevinBs or a tiny PCC is cool as fuck, and hey, the bonus is that you've got a bag gun if the use arises.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    it's hard to deny that a svelte little blaster like KevinBs
    Get's my vote for best gun of the thread by a long way.

The need for a long gun is going to vary by person and geography. In Alaska, I don’t go anywhere in the bush without a shotgun. Nobody will give you a second look for carrying a long gun. Probably look at you funny if you don’t have a visible gun. In much of the lower 48, a visible long gun is going to get you looks or worse. However, when we fly out in the remote desert, and go for a hike, one of us will likely have a long gun. The odds of someone else being there are very low, but if someone is there, the odds are they aren’t there to hike. Driving into Phoenix for a match and overnight, my wife and I go into the hotel with two bags each. If one of them has a PDW, it adds a few pounds to one bag, and not much other hassle. If it requires a third bag, or some big bag, it isn’t going to work out. Camped in the Sprinter in the desert, not far from the border, the PDW definitely makes me sleep better.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    What about adding a Cominolli Safety to the equation?
    They are mushy and very meh as manual safeties go,

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    They are mushy and very meh as manual safeties go,
    Not surprising I guess... The plastic frame would make for a terrible detent.

Like others have said, I don’t see this as something I’m likely to deploy.

My potential use case primarily is for traveling with the family and having something more than a pistol available. Among other things, we usually leave town for hurricanes and that case in particular having something small but punchy would make life easier. I don’t anticipate needing to make 100 yard head shots at the Ramada in waycross.

User Tag List