I hate you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    7.5" 300BLK barrel ordered.

I hate you all.
    I blame GJM.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Which shotgun goes with goat boots?
    I think this must REALLY depend on your Google search history.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Which shotgun goes with goat boots?
    That probably depends on whether you mean the shaggy hairy boots or the demon hoof boots that were shown earlier.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I think this must REALLY depend on your Google search history.
    Just curious which is your goat to shotgun
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I'm honestly befuddled by the Mini shotguns - maybe because I always look at those as a field expedient breacher and that's about it.

Biggest issue I have with ANY shotgun is the liability aspect if not using slug. Perhaps it comes back to years ago seeing what an errant pellet can do to a third party.
    Then if you are using slugs - why not go for easier reload with less recoil and more accuracy?

I guess if my plan was to do smash and grabs and shoot someone in the face via a messenger bag, that would work --but I don't understand for any legitimate purpose why one would chose it given the downsides to them.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I have honestly felt similarly until fairly recently; guys like @TCinVA have convinced me of the utility of the shotgun. I've done a couple of shotgun classes but nothing with anyone well-known so I don't defer to that, particularly.

The only real appeal to me is that you get really extremely proven lethality in a compact package and I think the downsides are manageable only because my personal risk profile is so low, I think the only realistic threats are going to be up close, strongarm robbery kinds of events. Or motel door-kick invasions to get whatever I brought in from the car, and I just want that pile 'em in the doorway gun, and the only advantage of the shorty would just be that I could have that close quarters fight stopper at hand without ever carrying baggage that gives away the presence of a long gun.

In general I much prefer rifles.

If I wanted to fire one round, and make it decisive, it would be 12 gauge buck or a slug.

If I wanted to fire a handful of rounds, it may or may not be with a shotgun.

If I wanted to fire an unknown number of rounds at an unknown distance, it would not be with a shotgun.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    They’d be awesome, except...

Anything under 26” in length would be covered under the NFA here as an AOW (any other weapon). The 14” “not a shotgun” shotguns aren’t NFA because they are longer than 26”, but if one carries them “concealed” then they become AOWs by magic or osmosis or something.

Also, quite a few states, including the one I’m in right now, have laws against carrying loaded shotguns or rifles on your person or in a vehicle (mostly anti-poaching derived). So, the gun would have to start a fight (from a vehicle at least) unloaded. The advantage of a PDW “pistol” is that it is covered by the typical concealed carry permit, thus allowed to be carried concealed and loaded.

If I could freely travel around with a loaded Tac-13 w/folding brace attached without running afoul of NFA or local regs, there would be no question what I would have on my person. A shotgun is so vastly superior for short distance anti-personnel things I would always opt shotgun.

As it is my current “travel long gun” is a 12-gauge break action single shot, shortened to 19” and measures just over 30” assembled. With Flite Control buck it keeps all 8-pellets in a B8 out to 20y making it minute of hotel room accurate no problem. But, alas, I carry it broken down and stashed in a duffel. I doubt I’ll have time in my life to assemble it if a fight starts in/around the vehicle.
    The TAC-14s etc don’t become AOWs if you conceal them. Legally they are “other firearms” under U.S. federal law by virtue of 1) not having a stock, meaning they aren’t “shotguns” SBS or otherwise, and 2) not “concealable” by ATF definition since they are over 26” which, as you said in your other post is “the magic number” at which ATF delineates “concealable.” AOWs by definition are “concealable” but in legal speak that means 26” or less OAL not the normal definition.

State and local definitions may vary...

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The TAC-14s etc don’t become AOWs if you conceal them. Legally they are “other firearms” under U.S. federal law by virtue of 1) not having a stock, meaning they aren’t “shotguns” SBS or otherwise, and 2) not “concealable” by ATF definition since they are over 26” which, as you said in your other post is “the magic number” at which ATF delineates “concealable.” AOWs by definition are “concealable” but in legal speak that means 26” or less OAL not the normal definition.

State and local definitions may vary...
    This is IL. When you assume the worst, you will rarely be far off.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List