Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting people to help at matches.

Getting people to help at matches.

I'd like to hear suggestions from folks about increasing the number of people who tape, brass and set steel at matches. Both IDPA and USPSA clubs I frequent have a huge problem with this to the point that it's significantly slowing matches

Why not this? If you didn't just shoot, or are the next shooter then you tape and reset or you don't shoot. Frequent reminders help.
    "Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

That's the SO/RO's fault. I always make it known that everybody helps tape, period. If the peanut gallery starts talking instead of taping, I stop everything, and ask for their assistance. Peer pressure does wonders. Yes, it is a problem but it can be managed.

Don't be afraid to call people out during the day. Usually at the start of the match everyone's really good about taping and resetting targets, but as the day drags on, people start talking or doing other things.

Two weekends back we had our second largest match of the year. It was decided that if 2 SO's complained about a shooter not assisting they would receive an FTDR? Solves the problem.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

People who don't help out get pistolwhipped.

That should motivate people!

Never had an issue with this at the clubs I shoot at.

A suggestion I've read several times is to call out the jobs
    shooter, on deck, in the hole, paster 1, paster 2, paster 3, steel reset 1,2, etc

Gives people enough time to finalize their plan. Gives the most recent shooter time to reset. Keeps everyone involved and accountable. Ensures 2 people aren't doing all the work.

I have no issue with saying "Hey man you gonna grab some pasters or is this an ice cream social?"
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

"The faster we clear a stage the faster you get to shoot and the faster you get to shoot the faster you get to eat."

Usually works.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Two weekends back we had our second largest match of the year. It was decided that if 2 SO's complained about a shooter not assisting they would receive an FTDR? Solves the problem.
    That's pretty rough. Usually the mockery of your peers is enough motivation.

Asking usually works. Sometimes at the match briefing, I mention to the new shooters that they are welcome to partake of the "privilege" of helping to reset but not to tape targets before they are scored. About the only time this did not work was with the 3-gun matches we had so I stopped holding them.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List