Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fairfax to DC on the Metrorail then take a walkabout, dumb idea?

I figured that area was pretty secure.
    More worried about the metro than I am the walk.
    Public transportation after dark tends to fill with roaches.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Oh, I don't blame you for seeing DC; I just hate people.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I figured that area was pretty secure.
    More worried about the metro than I am the walk.
    Public transportation after dark tends to fill with roaches.
    The DC metro's not too bad in terms of the roaches aspect, particularly on the portion of it you will be traveling on - I ride from VA into DC everyday to commute to work. The orange line seems to have more of a problem with broken down trains and people attempting (often successfully) to use public transportation to commit suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Ill be in Fairfax/Fair Oaks all next week for work.
    Ill be free everyday after 4pm or so and thought the National Memorials would be a must see.
    Probably hit the NRA range one evening as well.
    They are must-sees. (Not sure if the anti-DC vibe you get here is from the gun politics, anti-Obama feelings, or just paranoia about crime. Either way, it would be silly to miss the National Mall due to any of the three.)

That area is very safe.

I plan on going... I just want to see how heavy I can roll without catching grief.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Quote Originally Posted by Leozinho View Post
    They are must-sees. (Not sure if the anti-DC vibe you get here is from the gun politics, anti-Obama feelings, or just paranoia about crime. Either way, it would be silly to miss the National Mall due to any of the three.)

That area is very safe.
    I hate people and large cities. That's it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    If you've never been, "a few hours" is not nearly enough time to spend on the Mall. You'll need to choose.
    Lincoln Memorial is cool, Vietnam Memorial is better than the best you've read about it, Korean Memorial was quite a surprise (very, very well done, IMO).
    Not sure if the Washington Monument is open yet following the quake damage last year.
    WWII Memorial was a WOW. If anyone is wading in the WWII fountains, please kick them in the nuts and tell them it was from me.

The better Air and Space Museum is the one near Dulles, the Udvar-Hazy. Awesome, if you're into stuff that flies. The one on the Mall is just ok.

Off the Mall... Holocaust Museum... Don't go without a box of Kleenex. Spy museum was also very interesting.

Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    If you've never been, "a few hours" is not nearly enough time to spend on the Mall. You'll need to choose.
    Lincoln Memorial is cool, Vietnam Memorial is better than the best you've read about it, Korean Memorial was quite a surprise (very, very well done, IMO).
    Not sure if the Washington Monument is open yet following the quake damage last year.
    WWII Memorial was a WOW. If anyone is wading in the WWII fountains, please kick them in the nuts and tell them it was from me.

The better Air and Space Museum is the one near Dulles, the Udvar-Hazy. Awesome, if you're into stuff that flies. The one on the Mall is just ok.

Off the Mall... Holocaust Museum... Don't go without a box of Kleenex. Spy museum was also very interesting.

Have fun.
    I just about saw the face of my grandfather in the Korean War memorial. The facial expressions and body language say a lot and were striking...at least for me. My grandpa was a BAR gunner with 2nd ID in 1951, and had some extremely harrowing times as well as amazing stories of leadership, dark humor and general lessons on life. The VFW even interviewed him and did a story on a particular battle he was in, where some 80 troops were left out of his entire battalion after one night.

I really need to learn the art of story telling in order to keep his legacy alive, and in order for the Korean War memorial to be as striking as it should be to everyone.

Given that I'm doing a degree in intelligence, I feel like a traitor for having not visited the spy museum.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I'll have 2 or 3 evenings from around 7pm until as late as the trains run.
    Unfortunately this is a business trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Next week is Police Week so expect to be literally surrounded by cops on the Metro (assuming it's anything like it was when I've been out for Police Week).
    So 5.11's, a dark blue Polo and a fresh haircut will let me blend in perfectly.

Too bad I'll be wearing jeans, T-shirt, Doc Martens and looking shaggy.
    Although I may have to look into getting me one of those Colombian hookers, I hear they've seen a drop off in business over the last week or two and could use the money.

User Tag List