Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Business Casual Carrying - My Experience and Help Requested!

Business Casual Carrying - My Experience and Help Requested!

Hello all,

I’m sure this has been discussed before, but I thought I might ask now with all the new products (both holsters and single stack 9mms) that have come out over the last few years.

I work in a business casual environment (mainly button down shirts (possibly a polo) & no sport jacket) and want to carry without any sign of being someone that carries. I wanted to hear your thoughts on what has worked for you.

For reference I’m 5’11, 175 pounds, 32 – 33 waist (depending on the day!)

My experience so far has been the following (all with a G26):
    Galco ankle lite – this thing is heavy down there and very bulky. My dress pants have a noticeable bulge. No one ever noticed but I can definitely tell. Also, in meeting rooms (rooms set up with tables in a horse shoe shape – so you are seated across the room from people and see their ankles), when seated, your pants come up a bit and it was a very big concern. Also, it worked much better with black pants/socks than with brown pants/khaki because if it did drop low it blended in. That being said, I did use the calf strap to try to keep the damn thing from dropping too low on the ankle (which is uncomfortable.) This slightly worked but not really and didn’t solve the bulk problem.

Active Pro Gear Deep Concealment Holster – this is essentially a belly band but with “bra” like straps to keep it up under the arm pit instead of on the belly. This option worked ok. I always wear a white undershirt underneath button downs so it wasn’t up against skin. This is by no means a fast presentation. You can notice a little bulk of the G26 but if you didn’t know, it was probably fine…no one ever made me. This is a really hot (temperature) option in the summer time. It can be really hot and restricting and I really didn’t enjoy it at all in anything over 75 degree temperature. Also, you can’t wear white shirts because you can totally see through white shirts and see the “bra” straps.

Dale Fricke Zach holster (same concept as Raven Concealment Vanguard 1) – kydex trigger guard holster with string. I wore it AIWB. Benefits – I was able to wear a G26 AIWB to work. I had two and I matched the string to my belt and had the string right next to the belt loop and it was almost unidentifiable. The bad – a G26 is bulky AIWB (despite minimalist holster) in business attire. I had no problem with the grip above the waist band but it was noticeably bulky below. It was extremely uncomfortable as the thing would move around all the time and dig into my leg/groin. Going to the bathroom is a b*tch.

My conclusions so far – I love the idea of carrying a G26 business casual (as any other day I never have to tuck a shirt in and carry G19/G17 AIWB) but I’m beginning to think it is not going to work with my body type/comfort needs. I’m sorry, I am not one of those people that subscribe to dressing around the gun all the time. Not at work fine I can wear bigger clothes, but at work, no. If a tuckable holster has worked for you, I would love to hear about it but I’m still concerned with bulk and showing the loops (even a J hook). Educate me!

Other things I’ve considered: Smart Carry (concerned with bulk with business pants in that region) but I have no experience. Purchasing a single stack 9mm. I used to have a kel-tec pf-9 (really slim) but it would not work reliably and I sold it. I’m considering a Kahr CM9, Beretta Nano, S&W Shield, Walther PPS, (any others? I would prefer to stay with 9mm if possible - crap maybe i should just get an LCP and be done with it?).

Do any of you use one of those (or similar) in business casual? How is pocket carry in dress pants? What is your threshold? Is it doable? I’m thinking the Kahr or Nano would be the best choice for pocket carry as the shield is a little bigger.

Any experiences would be great (especially if you are of similar body type or share the same concerns I do).

Thanks!
    Last edited by dickmadison; 05-03-2012 at 09:52 AM.

I am sruggling with this topic as well so the only input I have is for your statement below. Hope better advice comes your way.

Quote Originally Posted by dickmadison View Post
    Other things I’ve considered: Smart Carry (concerned with bulk with business pants in that region)
    Just say "Why.....Thank You very much"

Site Supporter
    Business casual for me tends to be an untucked shirt. Sometimes a 2-button pull over, sometimes a button down casual that's cut straight across the bottom, designed to be worn untucked. The untucked pullover is more casual, I have several button downs that go just fine with dress pants for a more "business" look while still being untucked. I've dressed like this.... forever... so when people see me dressed like this it's "just me", nothing unusual. I carry AIWB all day and nobody's the wiser. Texas is hot enough for this type of dress 9+ months a year. Nobody gives you the stink eye for going untucked here. If you are inclined to go untucked, concealed carry should be just as easy for you. Woolrich and 5.11 both have some nice button down shirts that don't look "tacticool".

As for tuckable holsters and tucked shirts, I'll defer to others...

In my limited experience, there are a few good options to consider..
    1. Use a gun belt and a tuckable holster made from the same color material
    2. Velcro.... Gun belts and holsters can be mated with velcro ... See this page. The photos are near the bottom of the page.
    --- I would never use a J-hook unless it was supplemented with velcro
    --- I don't like J-hooks anyway, because the weight of the rig falls on the unsupported fabric of your pants... and ...
    --- They come all the way off at the worst times... Just plain bad, IMO.
    3. I use a smartcarry occasionally... typically with shorts, but sometimes with pants. I like it, it works for me. It's cheap. Give it a try.
    4. Get creative with how you wear your belt.... Example... I have a clip-on holster I wear occasionally that has a very strong, thin, black steel clip. It's tuckable. LINK to Mr. Softy. Occasionally, when I need to tuck, I'll wear this holster AIWB and I'll turn my belt around to the other side. When I lash the belt this way the tail extends to my right side (normally I wear it to the left). I can put on the holster, then cover the clip with the tail of my belt...
    5. Buy shirts that are long enough to "blouse". Pull the tail of the shirt out just enough so that the shirt is still tucked, but the material is hanging out enough to cover your belt (and thus your holster loops) without being messy-looking. You'll need to practice reaching for things if you use this method. Reach too high and the bloused part tightens..

Hope some of that is helpful.... The real answer is.. Trial and error. What works for me won't necessarily work for you. What I think sucks for me might be the perfect answer for your needs.

One bit of advice for the working professional regarding carry. If you're starting a new job and wish to carry discretely, don't discuss your firearm related activities or interests with your co-workers unless it's a politically friendly environment to do so. I will never be able to carry at work because certain individuals know I'm one of those guys. Expectations are half the battle if you wish to be discrete. Some of my co-workers I shoot with, but others are on the other side. Next job I won't discuss this with anyone unless I know they are all part of the fold.

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    One bit of advice for the working professional regarding carry. If you're starting a new job and wish to carry discretely, don't discuss your firearm related activities or interests with your co-workers unless it's a politically friendly environment to do so. I will never be able to carry at work because certain individuals know I'm one of those guys. Expectations are half the battle if you wish to be discrete. Some of my co-workers I shoot with, but others are on the other side. Next job I won't discuss this with anyone unless I know they are all part of the fold.
    Great advice right there.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

That's an excellent point. Thanks.

For the OP:

Consider a full tuckable holster instead of the Zach. If it has a proper amount of wedging to tuck the butt/grip in, you might be able to confidently conceal with a tucked in shirt. My ideas on this are to use a leather belt loop the same color as your belt as it's less conspicuous/bulky than a kydex belt loop. Then, if you wear a cell phone holster, place that over top or near (preferably covering) the belt loop of your holster. These are my thoughts on the subject, but I haven't been able to put it into practice yet. For this task, I've chosen JRC's AIWB which I haven't taken possession of yet.

JR also makes a half-loop for his holster with velcro mounted on it, and he can supply a dress belt with velcro on the back. This way, there's just about zero loop showing.

ETA: Click here for pictures of JRC's AIWB with a tuckable loop installed. He's wearing an M&Pc underneath what appears to be a linen shirt.
    Last edited by TGS; 05-03-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    As for tuckable holsters and tucked shirts, I'll defer to others...

In my limited experience, there are a few good options to consider..
    2. Velcro.... Gun belts and holsters can be mated with velcro ... See this page. The photos are near the bottom of the page.
    --- I would never use a J-hook unless it was supplemented with velcro
    --- I don't like J-hooks anyway, because the weight of the rig falls on the unsupported fabric of your pants... and ...
    --- They come all the way off at the worst times... Just plain bad, IMO.
    3. I use a smartcarry occasionally... typically with shorts, but sometimes with pants. I like it, it works for me. It's cheap. Give it a try.
    4. Get creative with how you wear your belt.... Example... I have a clip-on holster I wear occasionally that has a very strong, thin, black steel clip. It's tuckable. LINK to Mr. Softy. Occasionally, when I need to tuck, I'll wear this holster AIWB and I'll turn my belt around to the other side. When I lash the belt this way the tail extends to my right side (normally I wear it to the left). I can put on the holster, then cover the clip with the tail of my belt...
    Thank you for the thorough response.

I wish I could go untucked, as it would make things so much easier! If I move to a place where I can do that, it seems like you hit the nail on the head.

The above suggestions are really interesting and I will most certainly look into it. How never thought about option 4 that you provided is beyond me. Absolutely genius! Not sure how it will work yet, but I like the idea a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Try the Smart Carry. It is less noticeable than you would expect, in my experience, and comfortable. You'd be surprised how many people aren't looking at your crotch. Disappointed, even.
    I think I might have to try it. Hilarious post BTW!!!

This really is great advice. Thank you. I had a interesting experience after I told a coworker of my hobby who then started ribbing me with crap about, how many guns do you have, do you have one on you now, etc. I didn't realize the can of worms I opened. I played it off saying, I just have a shotgun under the bed and use by buddy's stuff, and my favorite, "yeah, I got a machine gun in my pocket, watch out!". But, it was a pain in the butt for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dickmadison View Post
    This really is great advice. Thank you. I had a interesting experience after I told a coworker of my hobby who then started ribbing me with crap about, how many guns do you have, do you have one on you now, etc. I didn't realize the can of worms I opened. I played it off saying, I just have a shotgun under the bed and use by buddy's stuff, and my favorite, "yeah, I got a machine gun in my pocket, watch out!". But, it was a pain in the butt for sure.
    Yep, it's tempting to get into the discussions, but not worth it. Bad consequences if relationships turn sour.

User Tag List