Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprinter/Camper-Van/Class-B RV Owners?

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    You guys that have Sprinters/RVs, what are thoughts about kids and adults riding unsecured in the back

I was thinking about renting a camper van to make road tripping in some western National Parks more tenable with kids.

I reckon most kiddos aren't being strapped down in the car seat in these things, but it doesn't make sense to me to let them run around in a RV on a road trip when I wouldn't take them to the corner store without their seatbelts at home.
    We rented a class A a few years ago. My rule was strictly to remain seated and belted at all times. Even to the point that I pulled a full-on 80s-dad move and literally pulled the RV over to physically enforce the seated/buckled. After two of those, the children decided that no amount of seatbelt discomfort was worth the headache, and the wife had had enough of the lost time, so everyone stayed buckled after that.

It seems that most of the listings indicate the number of seats/seatbelts so make sure to match that to your number of occupants and you should be good.

FWIW, some have indicated to me that transit/sprinter style are safer in an impact than class c. Not sure re: class A. And obviously nobody should be riding in a 5th wheel or other trailer typle while moving.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    My experience is limited but we bought the 146" for the ability to place a 60x120 sheet of substrate flat (once a platform was installed at wheel well height) and it is not too difficult to manage. I think this also gets you the rear doors that flip around to the sides. If your wife is comfortable with a Pilot, that is not exactly small.
    The pilot is ~197" OAL, with a 111" wheelbase. The Transits are:
    Short: 220 oal, 119 WB
    Long: 238 OAL, 148 WB

My RAM crew cab is 229 OAL with a 141 WB, so right in-between the short and long transit.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Any chance you can elaborate now how things are going with the Transit vans in your fleet?
    The driver love them. But as far as long term durability and maintenance it's way to early to tell.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

Are you aware of any other factory Class B options with a sub-20ft OAL on the Transit?

No, not as far as I know.

Airstream has their "Nineteen" on a Sprinter 144, but it is an eye-watering $160K list.

The Ontour 2.0 pics are on The Boss's phone; I will grab them tonight and post a sample.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The pilot is ~197" OAL, with a 111" wheelbase. The Transits are:
    Short: 220 oal, 119 WB
    Long: 238 OAL, 148 WB

My RAM crew cab is 229 OAL with a 141 WB, so right in-between the short and long transit.
    I maybe should mention that I think the 148" is very manageable but my F-150 is fucking 163". It is awesome when it is awesome and a PITA when it is not.

Also, as much as I love my turbochargers the 3.7 in our Transit is just fine. I know you want to tow a golf cart, but you also live where it is pretty flat.

My truck not only makes 420fp, it does it at like 2200rpm. But it is only a six speed, and the new Transit has the ten speed, so having the low end torque might not be as big a deal. I recently drove a Ranger with the 2.3EB and ten speed, and it sorta reminded me a of a two stroke motocross bike, it just stays at optimal RPM and runs up through the close ratio gears.

Around here U-Haul rents those short wheelbase vans with the base V6 for $19.95 plus mileage, go haul some shit home from Lowes

@rob_s I thought I took better pictures, but here are a few of the 2020 (2019 Chassis) Pleasureway Ontour 2.0 we saw last weekend.

Name:  05669F4F-AEBE-4BCE-BB2C-984DFCFEB521.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  63.7 KB

Name:  E8EF057D-C624-481D-998F-09837ACE9BDB.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  34.2 KB

Name:  A78C4988-09D0-42C8-9444-59FD2C6150EE.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  32.5 KB

That’s something I hadn’t thought of but makes sense, that a 2020 camper would be built on a 2019 chassis. I really like some of the improvements Ford has made in the 2020 Transit.

I was reading on one of my transit pages about insurance. Besides not wanting a project, nor wanting to buy someone else’s project, is getting insurance in home built project vans. Evidently there’s passenger car i surname, work truck insurance, and RV insurance, and what some folks are doing is starting out with “work truck” and never telling the insurance company about your mods. If you do tell them they may decline to up your coverage. If you don’t, and the van goes missing or gets totaled, all that fancy shit you installed isn’t covered, and the entire claim may be denied for having the wrong coverage.

Spent some more time poking around the Pleasure-Way and Roadtrek websites. Lots of things to consider. Wife is also way more on-board with the idea now as well.

We are going to try to rent one from... well not really sure yet, and plan a trip maybe down to the Keys.

Unsurprisingly, after some consideration, Florida doesn’t seem to be a Mecca for RVin, or at least not Class Bs and and least not this far south. I assume lots of folks arrived at the same issue I’m seeing which is that with school-aged kids and a class b, I can only really travel in the summer and I’d need the kids to sleep outside in a tent, which is probably asking for a bit much given our heat/rain/humidity.

But I’m still digging into it, and still hope to get a chance to rent something to try it out

With regard to Roadtrek, one thing to be aware of if you are new to the Class B industry, is their recent shenanigans.

https://rvlifestyle.com/roadtrek-hymer-scandal/
    https://www.thestar.com/business/201...ses-doors.html

Cliffs: European RV Group Hymer acquired Roadtrek and was in the process of selling it to major RV Brand owner Thor Industries. "Financial irregularities" were discovered to the tune of $100M. Company filed for bankrupty and shut down the plant last Feb. I am not sure their current status.

While I would buy a used Roadtrek (having owned one, and visited the factory several times near Toronto) availability of spares and repairs may be a factor that would disincline me, price depending of course. Used ones can be good value, but it's worth a thought in case you need service for one down the road.
    Last edited by RJ; 05-25-2020 at 08:30 AM.

Good info there, thanks!

User Tag List