Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have experience with Titegroup or Ramshot Competition of lead slugs.

Does anyone have experience with Titegroup or Ramshot Competition of lead slugs.

I'm coming down to the last of my stock of Bullseye powder which has been my mainstay pistol power for 25 plus years.

I'm thinking of trying Titegroup since the charts show that you can get more velocity with less chamber pressure.

Recently I was advised that Titegroup doesn't do well with lead bullets. I shoot Bayou Bullets exclusively.

It was suggested that I try Ramshot Competition.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Site Supporter
    Titegroup can be smokey with bare lead bullets.

I've been dabbling with it over the past few weeks, but I only shoot plated or jacketed bullets. While I like TG's availability and price, I'm sticking with N320.

Titegroup is definitely smokey with lead loads. I've had much better luck with Winchester WSF.

BTW, my frame of reference is with 9mm.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

First pistol powder I ever tried. It has worked fine for me (9mm) so I never changed.

Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    First pistol powder I ever tried. It has worked fine for me (9mm) so I never changed.
    That would be Titegroup?
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

My fast powder, used for example with H&G68s, is WST. It's the cleanest and most consistent of that group that I've tried.

I drive 9 a little harder and prefer HS6.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Titegroup is too smokey IMO for lead.

WSF, Solo 1000, and N320 are all great powders for lead and 9mm.

Titegroup is a double base powder (contains nitroglycerin) and it burns really hot. In fact, I know a competition shooter who damaged the throat of his barrel shooting less than 15k due to the excessive heat. I also think the recoil is snappier for the same PF compared to other powders.

I really like Solo 1000 but the lot to lot inconsistency made me switch recently to N320.

Titegroup + Bayou...

Recently I was advised that Titegroup doesn't do well with lead bullets. I shoot Bayou Bullets exclusively.
    With lead, it sucks. With Bayou's, you're fine... My teammate used to use it a lot, indoors, over the winter (Chicago-land).

He went to solo1000 because the temperature variation causes velocity shifts...

Until now I've only reloading .45 and I started with/and remain with Clays. But for 9mm I settled on WSF. Haven't shot any yet - when I was trying to decide myself; it seemed VV320/330 followed by WSF was the consensus....

I was able to try out some 9mm 125gr cast loads from SNS casting with Titegroup yesterday.

Temperature was about 72f at 210f elevation.

I used 3.8gr of titegroup loaded to 1.145coal.
    average velocity was 1038fps with an SD of 7.

I also chronoed some loads set up identically with the exception of using 4.1gr of W231
    average velocity was 1036fps with an SD of 7.

Unfortunately as I only had access to a 100 yard range I was not able to test for accuracy, only velocity. (I have tested the W231 loads before and braced against a barricade I was getting 3" groups from my M&P9 fullsize.)

The felt recoil was noticeably stronger with the TG load, even though velocity was nearly identical compared to the W231. The TG load was much, much less smoky, not a concern to me, but definitely to those who shoot indoors.

I'll have to do some accuracy testing the next time I go out, but I like the TG load, as its' increased recoil more closely mimicks my preferred defense load (147gr Ranger-T)

I did not notice very much increased leading, contrary to internet rumor that TG and Cast boolits create a glob of molten lead flying out of your barrel.
    twitter.com/ddbaxte

User Tag List