Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bersa Thunder 380

Bersa Thunder 380

Anyone own or have known someone who owns a bersa thunder 380? Im reading mostly good reviews on this pistol. Thinking about buying one this weekend.

Try and be objective on buying pistols.

My thought: Why buy a Bersa 380 when you can have a 9mm with 10-13 rounds in the same size? What does the Bersa do that a double stack subcompact 9 such as the Glock 26, HK P2000sk, M&Pc or P99c don't?

If you're after slim, is that slim actually necessary? If so, then what does a Bersa 380 do that a Walther PPS, M&P Shield, Ruger LC9, SIG P239, S&W 3913 or Kahr P9/K9 don't?

I just want comfort while wearing concealed. And the big difference would be a bit of money. I dont have alot of gun shops around so its hard to find used guns. There also isnt alot of gun shows around so that option is out too. If you know a website where i can find these options cheaper then please show me the way!

Also keep in mind the cost and availability of .380. It is much, much more expensive than 9mm, and there are many fewer options. As someone who mentioned that they are looking for their first concealed carry gun in another thread, that's the gun of thing that matters.

I've learned that if you spend enough time at the range to learnt to shoot well and handle a gun properly, the up-front cost of the firearm is a relatively small part of the equation compared to ammo. You'd rather be shooting, so you are better off spending more on the gun and less on ammo than less on a gun and more on ammo.

Finally, since you are looking to carry, you should be aware that .380 is not a good round for self defense compared to 9mm, .40, etc.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by warnerj2118 View Post
    I just want comfort while wearing concealed. And the big difference would be a bit of money. I dont have alot of gun shops around so its hard to find used guns. There also isnt alot of gun shows around so that option is out too. If you know a website where i can find these options cheaper then please show me the way!
    Some suggestions:

www.gunbroker.com
    www.budsgunshop.com
    www.cheaperthandirt.com
    www.cdnninvestments.com

People carry full sized and compact guns all the time quite comfortably. You'd be surprised how comfortable it can be with the right holster in the right position. I carry a P30 which is much bigger than what you are looking at, and it is no more bothersome than carrying a wallet in the back pocket to me.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Okay so my next question would be is there anything worth buying under $300? I feel like anytime I ask about something cheap people talk it down and tell me to go buy something that it $300 more than what I want to spend. I understand that the money shouldnt matter if im using it as self defense, but the price actually does matter. I currently have a hi point 9mm which has terrible reviews but i havent had a problem at all with it. The problem is that its quite heavy to use as a ccw.

Quote Originally Posted by warnerj2118 View Post
    Okay so my next question would be is there anything worth buying under $300? I feel like anytime I ask about something cheap people talk it down and tell me to go buy something that it $300 more than what I want to spend. I understand that the money shouldnt matter if im using it as self defense, but the price actually does matter. I currently have a hi point 9mm which has terrible reviews but i havent had a problem at all with it. The problem is that its quite heavy to use as a ccw.
    Sell the HiPoint and save up for a used Glock.

Or, start doing the Drills of the Week here with the HiPoint and publish your results. Take a training class with it.

I'll tell you something; being proficient with a pistol is not a cheap undertaking. If you're happy with how your HiPoint treats you now and are seriously too broke to spend over $300 for a decent pistol; you clearly cannot afford to shoot the thing more than a few boxes of ammo a few times a year. So, walk away from this forum unless you either enjoy being abused or are ready to to expend the time and money needed to become a proficient pistol shooter.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Or, start doing the Drills of the Week here with the HiPoint and publish your results. Take a training class with it.
    You could be a rare, rare thing if you started publishing real data about moderate-heavy use of a hipoint.
    I don't understand what's happening, but I have a soldering iron.

Wow and youre staff? Im a new member to this site and im new to buying pistols and shooting them. And atm i am focusing more on finishing the semester at school so im not working atm. I figured joining a forum would help me out figuring out what to buy and what not to buy, but it your previous statement has proven me completely wrong. You honestly are telling me to leave the website if I cannot afford something more expensive? Thats awesome help. Thank you so much for a wonderful forum experience. Ill be sure to let customer service know

Below $300? Sure.

You can get a used Beretta 92D from CDNN for $289. Go into the mid $300's and you can get a S&W 6906 or SigPro from CDNN, all 3 of which are very capable pistols that will serve you well.

The real cost will be buying ammo and spending money on quality training. Don't lose hope, because you can still pull this off! If you really don't have the money, then a dedication to bettering yourself with dry-fire drills and quality training regimen (not plinking!) with live ammo will do.

You can get a used Makarov or CZ82 for around $200. They're not top of the line pistols, and your ammo selection is abysmal, but they are viable tools. If you put forth the effort to better yourself by spending $200 for a CZ82 and using what leftover you have for a course, then IMHO you'd be better off than someone with a Glock who doesn't have the money for a course. You'd still be able to confidently defend yourself. Proper training and mindset is more important than anything.

The real question is whether you're after a talisman to stick in your pocket on the cheap, or whether you're dedicated to defending yourself.

ETA: Link to surplus CZ's http://www.jgsales.com/handguns-c-16_155.html
    Last edited by TGS; 04-19-2012 at 09:42 PM.

User Tag List