Thread: Motorcycles and CCWing...

Motorcycles and CCWing...

So...riding a motorcycle while carrying is interesting.

I've had two recent experiences that are each to its advantage and detriment.

#1- I am getting off the highway and hanging a right on the off-ramp. There is a light for the right-turners and 3 lanes to choose from. I usually choose the one farthest to the left as it keeps me from having to shift around lanes once I turn. However, about 50% of the time there is a panhandler in the flat section next to it. Never really gave it any thought. Until a few days back the guy there noticed my bike and walked straight up into my business. Can't blame him I guess, the bike is sweet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_W650) but in this case it drew attention and he came up to talk about motorcycles and how he saw a guy do a wheely on one and it was "F**king cool" and though I should do the same and proceeded to give me a high five and when I didn't reciprocate, kinda pushed my shoulder and grabbed my face shield before walking off. Definitely within my 'zone'. Yes he had been drinking. As soon as he first walked up to me I thought about pushing him away, but I didn't want to piss him off and give him a reason to escalate things (even if I were justified). Instead, I decided it was best to just kinda humor him for a sec and see how it played out. It worked out in my favor (lucky). After he walked off I gave him no attention but watched him out of the corner of my eye. Was weird. I actually was 1st in line so if things got hairy I could have gotten out of there in a quick sec but still got me thinking. Motorcycle riders are damn exposed to anything or anybody. I was also thinking about how if I had a tank holster (I don't) and he had decided to push me off the bike it might have made things pretty hard in getting back to it if he were to continue any type of instant, quick assault.

So #2 - I was at the gun shop a couple days ago (trying out the HK P2000 no less!!!!!!!!) and when I went back out to the parking lot right outside the shop (think single line, 10 spaces), there were two guys that were right near the front of the entrance to the shop, and they had a handgun out in the open, looking like there were pointing it down the street, so I saw them from a profile/side point of view. About 50 ft away, with about 4-6 cars separating us. They were at the back of a pickup truck with the tailgate down. As soon as I saw it, it struck me as really, really odd and I made sure I was out of sight behind the cars as best I could. What the hell were they doing? I heard a 'click' which sounded like a dry fire and heard them continue to talk. Again, just didn't seem appropriate. I watched them for about a 30 sec to see if I could make a determination from their actions but decided I just wanted to get out of there. If I was to go back out the same way I had come (the only 'official' entrance), I would have ridden about 3-4 ft away from them and had to pause right next to them before just jumping right into traffic. However, there was about a 3-4ft opening at the other end of the parking lot that led to a dirt alley. I took it, fast. There would have been NO way I would have been able to get a car out of there, so I was really thankful I was on the bike and was able to bypass that whole situation. Once I was far enough away and at a place where I could stop, I pulled off on a side road and called the shop to inform them of what I saw.

Okay, one more: On the way home one evening, I took notice of a car behind me and the individuals in the car. For some reason, they just gave me a weird feeling, seeing their faces. I cannot explain it. They were behind me for quite a while, through a turn and all. If I was to assume the worst and figure it could be someone that tails a driver until they get home then rob them or worse, I'd rather make it harder for them to choose me as a target, so I was able to zip out from in front of them and put some real distance between me and them using other cars and lane positions - which would have been much harder in a car. Its a little risky if you have to move fast as it gives you less reaction time around traffic, but the option is there if you need to take it.

So does anyone else carry while riding? Most threads about MCs and CCWs have to do with either holsters or laws but I'm talking about awareness/experience while on a bike. Any one else have any thoughts on this, any tips, what they look for or look out for when riding and carrying? I'm interested in hearing from some other folks about this interesting topic. What have been your experiences, or what to you think about how a permit carrier needs to adjust given the nature of being on a bike instead of a car?

I've traveled tens of thousands of miles over the years on a MC. No doubt you're more vulnerable on one. I've had a handful of incidents that reinforced this. It used to be that you were more of a target for law enforcement and object of civilian suspicion as well, but the "biker" fad of the last decade has thankfully changed that.

I always carry IWB on my bike, same as everywhere else I am. IWB on a bike, particularly under riding gear, is less than ideal. This summer I've got a couple of thousand mile trip planned, and I'll be trying out my concealed carry chest rig for that trip. Not only will it give me much faster access to my pistol than IWB, it will be a great place to keep maps, sunscreen, and a couple of other necessities handy that are a PITA to carry in pockets.

I've also got an ammo can mounted on my bike with provisions to padlock it shut. In those situations where I cannot legally carry but have my pistol with me nonetheless, I use the ammo can lock box.

Maybe a J-frame in left pocket of riding gear in addition to your normal CCW would make you feel better. I don't wear much riding gear ever due to heat but if I do I put 642 with crimson trace grips with pocket holster in my left coat pocket in addition to normal CCW.

I've been carrying on my bike since I was legal age to carry and my biggest problem is rusting out kydex holster fittings from sweat. I've never had any people incidents while riding my bike over the years with my bike is my main transportation and for about 6 years it was my only transportation. I think we have the best way to deescalate the issue with agility and speed.

My only worry CCW on motorcycle is dumping the bike / getting hit and the injury from the pistol pushing against my body once I hit the ground. I always leave an escape path when stopped at a light as we have had bikers get run over from behind while stopped at lights, back into parking spots for quick egress, etc.

The tank bag would be out for me unless it's secured like Evan's ammo can due to having to do something with the gun or the bag all the time when leaving the bike. Also if someone gets pissed and runs you off the road to where you are separated from the bike you it will take awhile to get to the gun (sounds weird but something like this recently happened to a distant acquaintance I know).

The chest rig sounds pretty good be interested to hear how that works out.

i used to carry my g26 in a pocket holster in the right front pocket of my riding jacket. it was pretty easy to get to even with gloves. unzip pocket, grab gun.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    So does anyone else carry while riding? Most threads about MCs and CCWs have to do with either holsters or laws but I'm talking about awareness/experience while on a bike. Any one else have any thoughts on this, any tips, what they look for or look out for when riding and carrying? I'm interested in hearing from some other folks about this interesting topic. What have been your experiences, or what to you think about how a permit carrier needs to adjust given the nature of being on a bike instead of a car?
    Back when I used to commute daily on my RF600 in ATL, I kept my G29 in a fanny pack (I liked the fact that the Galco pack had foam backing between me and the gat) and a Beretta Tomcat in my jacket pocket.

Your hobo story does remind me of the time I was in a Wally World parking lot much later, when I had a TL1000 and better riding gear. Apparently some dude wanted the parking space I was in and got extremely agitated, getting all up in my my face, red-faced and yelling.

He actually kinda drew back his hand like he was thinking about throwing a punch, and the absurdity of the situation (I'm wearing a full-face helmet and armored jacket and gloves) made me involuntarily burst out laughing. I mean, I'm armored up for a fall at 60mph and this guy's gonna punch me? Where? I guess my reaction broke his train of thought because he just walked back to his car, yelling and waving his arms. He'd drawn a crowd by that time and just drove off...

If I'm completely decked out in my long distance riding gear (Rev'it stuff), there's really no practical way for me to CC at that point. Plus, statistically speaking, I'm more likely to be in a crash the firearm just compound the injuries from the impact than I am to need to firearm.

For local riding, I generally put my gun in my tank bag, and then put it back on when I get where I was going (more of the "I'm more likely to be in a crash than a shoot-out" mentality).

User Tag List