Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a New 9x19

Buying a New 9x19

Hi all new member! With all of the accuracy issues with the M&P 9's lately would anyone still take the risk (albeit small) and buy a new one? I realize that with most weapons you have to spend some money on getting them to run the way you would like it too.

But I do not want to have to pay to buy a barrel and maybe even to have to have it fitted to have my gun be made accurate at 15 yards+. Are the new production M&P 9's worth taking a chance on?

Quote Originally Posted by JRAM View Post
    Hi all new member! With all of the accuracy issues with the M&P 9's lately would anyone still take the risk (albeit small) and buy a new one? I realize that with most weapons you have to spend some money on getting them to run the way you would like it too.

But I do not want to have to pay to buy a barrel and maybe even to have to have it fitted to have my gun be made accurate at 15 yards+. Are the new production M&P 9's worth taking a chance on?
    I personally would say no. I don't see what the M&P does that others don't. Others do what the M&P does, but in addition you also don't have to worry about poor accuracy.

If I wanted a SFA 9mm, I'd buy a Walther PPQ or P99. Other good choices being the Gen 2 or Gen 3 Glocks.
    Last edited by TGS; 04-18-2012 at 04:27 PM.

We are diminished
    The ergonomics of the M&P are great, in my opinion. I think it's an incredibly well designed gun for the most part. But speaking only for myself, until Smith acknowledges and fixes the accuracy issue, I wouldn't buy another.

edited to add: I wouldn't buy another 9mm. The .45, .40, and 357 do not seem to share the same accuracy issues. In fact, if I were to buy a 357 SIG pistol today, the M&P357 would be at or near the top of my list.

Thanks guys, I really want another 9mm. I had a newer 3rd gen Glock 19 that had multiple problems that were not remedied by Glock so I sold it. It was between the M&P9 and P30 as I have been debating for a couple of weeks between the two. I am going to go with the HK. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    In fact, if I were to buy a 357 SIG pistol today, the M&P357 would be at or near the top of my list.
    Would you say the same for the M&P.40?

My personal experience with the M&P40 Pro Series was extremely positive; I had several thousand rounds on one that I used for USPSA for a while.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Would you say the same for the M&P.40?
    Possibly but not necessarily. The gen4 forties have impressed me.

Recent M&P that an LE friend got turned out to be decently accurate, not sure I would not suggest them.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by JRAM View Post
    Thanks guys, I really want another 9mm. I had a newer 3rd gen Glock 19 that had multiple problems that were not remedied by Glock so I sold it.
    So by that logic M&P9 and GLOCK should be out of the running for any new 9mm, right?

I don't mean that to be a smartass. I am just saying some folks have had issues with each manufacturer. I guess I've been lucky with both. The only "bad" GLOCKs I've owned was an early Gen4 G19 and a shot out Gen2 G19. I still trust a G19 daily in spite of those two. I am not a good enough shooter know if my M&P9s are bad or not.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    So by that logic M&P9 and GLOCK should be out of the running for any new 9mm, right?

I don't mean that to be a smartass. I am just saying some folks have had issues with each manufacturer. I guess I've been lucky with both. The only "bad" GLOCKs I've owned was an early Gen4 G19 and a shot out Gen2 G19. I still trust a G19 daily in spite of those two. I am not a good enough shooter know if my M&P9s are bad or not.
    Yes, for me. But that is my opinion. I want full confidence in my carry weapon as I am sure everyone here does, when I have a gun that malfunctions like my Glock did, I loose faith. Yes I got a lemon but I will not gamble on getting a good one. Maybe the HK I get will have problems. There is a higher chance IMO that getting another Glock or M&P will have problems.

User Tag List