Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aging Eyes, Sight Types and Getting Back on the Gun: My Recent Observations

Aging Eyes, Sight Types and Getting Back on the Gun: My Recent Observations

Yep.... I'm getting older and my eyes are letting me know it. Bummer.

I am not ready, mostly from just being stubborn, to go the way of the red dot for anything but rifles. Once I hit 40 my vision at distance started to go. At first it only bothered me driving at night in Vegas with all the neon haze. Now I am starting to notice it in broad daylight as without scripts I find myself needing to be much closer to the street signs before being able to clearly read them (thank you Garmin!). I have a slight astigmatism is my dominant eye (I'm right eye dominant, left handed but shoot right handed). Another thing I am starting to notice is a change in eye speed and the ability to focus from near to far a quickly as I could 4-5 years ago. Maybe this is just a head game but I don't seem to be getting the quality of visual input from the sights as quickly as I used to. I can still see my sights relatively clearly but I am noticing that certain types of sights don't work as well for me as they used to. At the same time I am starting to shoot my handguns quite a bit more after a few year hiatus due to work commitments. I didn't totally abandon my pistol shooting but it didn't get the time and attention it got in 2004-5. Hence, the old adage of my brain wants to run like a 20 year old but my body is letting me know that I'm no longer 20. Here are some observations I have made while practicing various drills/standards and trying to get back in the groove:

- I am going to ditch my all black and black rear/FO front sights on my comp gun. There is not enough contrast between the front and rear sights for me to pick them as quickly as I would like. Variable lighting conditions make these even more of a challenge to use. Heck, I shot better with the stock plastic Glock sights the other day doing plate rack drills from 10 to 25 yards. Lighting variances wreak havoc on old guy eyes. I shot at both indoor and outdoor ranges just to get tuned up on how variable lighting conditions would effect the clarity of my sight picture and overall visual acuity. Indoor range lighting conditions can do funky things and play mind games with you if you are not careful. I shot targets indoors at various distances and played with the lighting in the bay to get the best sight picture possible but in the end it was a lesson in how lighting effects sight picture and ultimately POI. Obviously, I won't be given this luxury in a home defense or CCW environment. I shot some scenarios in an indoor PRISim simulator and in this environment night sights ruled. I NEVER zero any of my handguns at an indoor range. If I have to I will verify the zero outdoors.

- I shoot 3 dots sights better than any other combination. What have I tried? I have a literal box of sights that I have accumulated over the years. All are for Glock 17/34 models. These consist of old school Trijicon standard 3 dots, Meprolight 3 dots (I thinned the front down to .125), Warren Tactical 2 and 3 dots, Heinie Straight 8's, XS big dots, Ameriglo Defoor's, Sevigny competition (all black and black rear with FO front), and stock Glock sights. Each has there positive and negatives but I shot the most consistently with 3 dot set ups. A thinner front sight is nice when doing a walk back drill out to 100 yards but I think a .125 (relative to rear sight notch) will do me just fine and be sufficient for just about everything. I did not notice a difference in my group size with a thinner (.115 Sevigny) at 25 yards. I shot groups as tight or tighter with the stock Glock .165 using the same gun and ammo combo.

- I shoot my G17 better than my G34. That can't be... right?! I ran the same drills with both guns with the same sight set up and ammo combo. I have a lot miles on the G17 but I have been shooting the G34 almost exclusively for the past two years. However, I picked up the G17 and it was like getting reacquainted with an old friend. I like the balance better and it seems to be a bit quicker out of the holster and on target. The G17 is slightly snappier in recoil but I only noticed it shooting slow fire groups. Both guns are set up with the old 3.5lb (or whatever they call it now) factory connector and a polish job, factory extended mag release with a slight file job to smooth out the edges and help reload with my short ass thumbs. Other than that and the sights the guns are stock. I didn't really see a big difference in accuracy when shooting both 1" dots at 5 yards or 5 round groups at 25 yards. I managed to consistently ring a 12" plate at 100 yards with both and did not see any measurable difference between the two at this distance. Both guns were set up with Sevigny Comps with a FO front and then changed to Trijicon 3 dots.

- While I have a bunch of sights, I'm not really super jazzed by any of them. Each had their pro's and cons and I am looking forward to trying some new stuff. On the the horizon will be Trijicon HD's (not sure which color I want to try yet although I know the orange is popular I might try the yellow unless someone can tell me why one is better than the other), Ameriglos with a Hack front and a standard with rear notch and subdued 2 dot rear. I'm not sure I'm a big fan of wide rear notches.

Thanks for reading my vomit and any input, personal experience, observation, or test that you have conducted that you think might offer some insight as I get back into the swing is always welcome.

-EB
    Last edited by ErnieB; 04-11-2012 at 05:27 PM. Reason: brain gets ahead of my fingers when typing

Looking forward to this thread, as I'm on the sight hunt myself.

Ernie, my vision has degraded in a remarkably similar fashion to yours. I too find the three dot "system" about the only thing that allows me to get a decent flash sight picture these days. Specifically, the huge dots on the stock HK45C sights are still "working" for me. While I haven't tried everything out there, I have tried most of it. A fiber optic front sight is wonderful- when there is lots of bright ambient light, especially in bright sunlight. Given that I don't compete, and personal defense is my main thrust, and 70%+ of those encounters occur in dim light... so much for fiber optics.

I explored the red dot sight thing pretty thoroughly. It works, but takes a LOT of time and ammunition to acclimate oneself to these on a carry pistol. Still, it IS the answer to "old man eyes". I had to abandon the idea because HKs simply do not lend themselves well to a proper job of inletting the sight down into the slide. It can be done, but the sight still sits up too high for my IWB holster (the extreme forward cant of the holster). I have a couple of Bowie Glock 19s which have superb installations that carry beautifully... but I don't want to go back to carrying the VolksPistole. And I am quite satisfied with my holster choice (RM Holsters Low Rider) and have no intention of changing.

A pity, really, because the RDS-equipped carry piece changes the dynamics of sighted fire drastically for the better. Its a bit slower up close, true enough. Moot point for me though.

It sounds to me like you have a firm grip on your problem and how to go about finding what will work best for you. Good luck. Getting old truly sucketh large...

F2S had a post recently on another website that was quite good. It did not specifically call on the issues of aging eyes (like yours and mine). My eyeballs are well past the half-century mark. But his post would be relevant to your question.

He was using some Ameriglo 3-dot sights. I'm not going to be so rash as to speak for him. But his exposition made a great deal of sense. Personally, I'm working with Warren Tactical 2-dot's and Ameriglo Hackathorns. I have the Defoor's on a teaching gun, and like them for that.

If he does not magically appear to offer his knowledge, shoot me a PM and I'll send you a link. I did not post the link directly, as I am unsure if that is acceptable behavior here. If someone who is a mod/staff/authority figure says it's okay, I will do so.

And I agree with LSP972. Getting old sucks, but it is dramatically better than the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    F2S had a post recently on another website that was quite good. It did not specifically call on the issues of aging eyes (like yours and mine). My eyeballs are well past the half-century mark. But his post would be relevant to your question.

He was using some Ameriglo 3-dot sights. I'm not going to be so rash as to speak for him. But his exposition made a great deal of sense. Personally, I'm working with Warren Tactical 2-dot's and Ameriglo Hackathorns. I have the Defoor's on a teaching gun, and like them for that.

If he does not magically appear to offer his knowledge, shoot me a PM and I'll send you a link. I did not post the link directly, as I am unsure if that is acceptable behavior here. If someone who is a mod/staff/authority figure says it's okay, I will do so.

And I agree with LSP972. Getting old sucks, but it is dramatically better than the alternative.
    Here's a link to his post if you want to read it. http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=...5&postcount=31 I don't know why it would be a problem to post it. He uses an Ameriglo CAP orange front with a Pro operator trit rear. His explanation of why makes me want to try them as well.

We are diminished
    You're more than welcome to post relevant links to other sites, forums, etc.

After checking out the link, that's the same sight setup I use, as well, fwiw.

Todd - what are you finding to be the main difference between the CAP front and the Hack?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Todd - what are you finding to be the main difference between the CAP front and the Hack?
    Other than height, very little. I do like the low profile of the CAP and the version of the Pro Ops that I'm running.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Other than height, very little. I do like the low profile of the CAP and the version of the Pro Ops that I'm running.
    Thanks, was just curious if there was any big advantage.
    On a semi-related note I'm switching my plain black Hack rear to the ProOp to get tritium, and because the undercut rear of the Hack creates an edge that sometimes digs into me in AIWB; can't wait to try them out.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Todd what are your thoughts regarding the wider rear notch of the pro ops. How does it affect precision work and how would it behave on shorter slides (IE a G19 vs G17)?

User Tag List