Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt M4 Accessories Question....

Colt M4 Accessories Question....

First off, here's the new addition to the family.

Colt M4 MT6400R

I have since switched the Eotechs out and they are for sale in the classifieds and replaced it with a Sig Sauer CP1 Prismatic, b/c it takes up less real estate: http://sigsauer.com/SigStore/cp1-pri...scope-395.aspx

In addition, the light isn't going to be there, I was just throwing everything I had on there for sh*%s and giggles.

On to my questions:

Any recommendations on pistol grips? I don't like the 'notched' grip it comes with and I have small hands. Size Small in Mechanix.

Any recommendations on butt stocks? I don't have a problem with this current butt stock other than the cheek weld. I'm just at the edge of the butt stock with my cheek weld, so it's just laying on the tube. I'm in NJ, so I can't go 'adjustable' without having someone pin it at a shop, so I don't even know what that means as far as ordering online and then bringing it to the shop.

I have a MagPul MS3 Sling that I like that will be modded to a new sling plate adapter as soon as I get it back to the gunsmith.

I have a Magpul RVG vertical fore grip.

I have C-Products http://lcjwholesalestore.com/AR_Magazines.html that are NJ legal with a magazine that's lanced to 15 rounds, but they don't seem to be dropping freely. Should I get some Magpul adapters in order to pull them free or invest in different mags?

Any advice or critique of my current set up is welcome and no, I'm not married to any particular product, this is what worked for me so far on other carbines I had previously.

Thanks!
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

In terms of pistol grips for smaller hands...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-G...od-0-black.htm

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Any recommendations on butt stocks? I don't have a problem with this current butt stock other than the cheek weld. I'm just at the edge of the butt stock with my cheek weld, so it's just laying on the tube. I'm in NJ, so I can't go 'adjustable' without having someone pin it at a shop, so I don't even know what that means as far as ordering online and then bringing it to the shop.

Thanks!
    Regarding cheek weld, how far forward do you put your face on the rifle when you shoot? I and most people trained on the M16 family by the military place the tip of our nose next to the charging handle for a consistent cheek weld and to speed up sight alignment. I have noticed most shooters from a civilian background new to the AR platform tend to hold their cheek back on the stock as they would a hunting rifle. On an rifle with the A1 or A2 buttstock, this isn't much of an issue, but as you mentioned with collapsible stock, it can cause real issues with cheek weld. If you are not already using a nose-to charging handle cheek weld, give it a try. I find that by using such a technique, I perceive little difference in cheek weld consistency between the collapsible stock and the fixed stock and thus no need for a stock with an enhanced cheek piece.

Last edited by Suvorov; 05-01-2012 at 10:56 AM.

As far as stocks go, it depends on what length you want to run. The Sully Stock from Defensive Edge is the same length as a collapsible stock pulled to the first notch, IIRC. I had one and liked it but wanted something adjustable. If you want a rifle length stock but don't want the standard A1 Or A2 stock I'd go with the new Magpul fixed MOE stock. Hard to beat for the money. Looking at your pic it looks like you are running that stock near full extension.

I have also gone to a somewhat minimalist approach in that I stopped adding a quad rail system to my rifles if it's not needed. For a light and FG I'd go with an MOE setup. Lighter and cheaper.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Tango Down makes a very nice smaller grip. I have a couple of them and a couple of Magpuls, both are much, much better than A2 grips.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Regarding cheek weld, how far forward do you put your face on the rifle when you shoot? I and most people trained on the M16 family by the military place the tip of our nose next to the charging handle for a consistent cheek weld and to speed up sight alignment. I have noticed most shooters from a civilian background new to the AR platform tend to hold their cheek back on the stock as they would a hunting rifle. On an rifle with the A1 or A2 buttstock, this isn't much of an issue, but as you mentioned with collapsible stock, it can cause real issues with cheek weld. If you are not already using a nose-to charging handle cheek weld, give it a try. I find that by using such a technique, I perceive little difference in cheek weld consistency between the collapsible stock and the fixed stock and thus no need for a stock with an enhanced cheek piece.

TGS ran me through the nose to charging handle, and I like it, but it puts my cheek off the stock and on the tube. Not sure if I want to change the position on the stock, b/c it fits my shoulder well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    TGS ran me through the nose to charging handle, and I like it, but it puts my cheek off the stock and on the tube. Not sure if I want to change the position on the stock, b/c it fits my shoulder well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    It also puts my cheek on the tube which is something I have gotten used to and really doesn't bother me for the kind of shooting I do with a carbine (except when I let my facial hair get a little long and it gets pinched in the sliding stock ). Does it look like you can remove the pin on your stock and change the position of the stock to make it more comfortable with a nose to charging handle cheek weld? Another thing you might be able to do is to place foam padding around the tube between the castle nut at the back of the receiver and the stock which would beef up the area around your cheek and give you a better cheek weld. Just trying to help you avoid the need to spend additional $$$ on a stock that you might not need.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    It also puts my cheek on the tube which is something I have gotten used to and really doesn't bother me for the kind of shooting I do with a carbine (except when I let my facial hair get a little long and it gets pinched in the sliding stock ). Does it look like you can remove the pin on your stock and change the position of the stock to make it more comfortable with a nose to charging handle cheek weld? Another thing you might be able to do is to place foam padding around the tube between the castle nut at the back of the receiver and the stock which would beef up the area around your cheek and give you a better cheek weld. Just trying to help you avoid the need to spend additional $$$ on a stock that you might not need.
    You make a great point-I really don't care to spend any money on the butt, b/c it is adequate. The only thing I really want to change is the pistol grip.

Any thoughts on magazines??

Any comments on my optic choice? I won't be shooting much further than 100 yds-it's really a plinker for my range or a Zombie killer if need be

I've been giving a good hard look at the Aimpoint PRO.

User Tag List