Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: New S&W Shield?

i just looked at one in a store today...it looked very simliar to a Walther PPS (compared them side by side)...so much so that I specced them out and they are almost identical in specs (if you can find a flush mag base plate for the pps, which I am told are available). I think I liked the PPS trigger better as there was no distinguishable reset in the shield's whatsoever! NOTHING. That being said, both felt good. I would be interested in hearing others' opinion on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S. View Post
    I don't see what the complaints are about in regards to the safety. If you've ever carried or shot 1911s, M&Ps, or HKs with safeties, just use the same strong hand thumb placement and you will easily disengage the Shield's safety. Now re engaging the safety is a whole 'nother story. It's a huge PITA without breaking grip.
    I found it difficult to get a solid enough purchase on the safety to disengage it from a firing grip on the example I handled. My long thumbs also made contorting to reach it an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by dickmadison View Post
    there was no distinguishable reset in the shield's whatsoever! NOTHING.
    That would be exactly the opposite of every single Shield I've handled, from my personal gun to samples at NRA Annual Meetings, in gun shops, and several models at S&W HQ.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    That would be exactly the opposite of every single Shield I've handled, from my personal gun to samples at NRA Annual Meetings, in gun shops, and several models at S&W HQ.
    Interesting...the one I handled was the gun shop's rental model (maybe that was the case?). They did not have any available to sell. Not sure.

The Shield has a safety though. This lets it have a very shootable trigger, unlike the Kahrs.
    I'll be honest....you're the first person I've ever seen who has dissed the Kahr trigger.

I don't see what the complaints are about in regards to the safety. If you've ever carried or shot 1911s, M&Ps, or HKs with safeties, just use the same strong hand thumb placement and you will easily disengage the Shield's safety.
    Now I can't speak for the Shield because I haven't had hands on with it specifically. However, in general reference to small safeties such as the LC9 the complaints are because the safety is not as easy to use as a larger one. Just because it's in the same spot and works the same way doesn't mean that it's going to be just as easy to use under stress.

Sure, it's easy to use. You just click it on and off, right? What about when you're under stress? Bloodied or sweating? Damage to your firing hand? There's a huge difference in these contexts between a little nub that goes up and down, and a big lever that your thumb actually rests on.

I personally have experienced stress induced butter-fingers while working with tools that require dexterity and coordination, and will pass if there's a different way to achieving a desirable end-state. I've also had to use weapons after being exposed to 4* temperatures for extended periods, and will pass. Same with my experience using weapons or tools when I'm exhausted, sweaty and dehydrated to the point that my senses and awareness can be summed up as severely impaired; or if my muscles and senses are hyper-active (twitching) from the adrenaline. If you like little nubs, go for it; I personally think there's better options.

Again, I haven't handled the Shield so I can't say I'd pass on the Shield specifically, but in general little safety levers are an immediate turn-off. I'll also advise friends to consider it, and help them make an informed purchasing decision. I hope that helps explain why people might have complaints about little nubs serving as safety levers.

I just came across this last night.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....bsfMDTSvdaWwkS

Although the stock trigger is quite decent I plan to order a hard sear and USB.

Although the stock sights are also quite decent (just not self illuminated), I am currently waiting for Ameriglo to offer NS for this gun. I sent Rick an e-mail last week and he suggested he was trying to get hold of a gun to measure, etc. and it would take approx a month to get them ready.

Out of curiousity (and boredom) I was trying to find a current list of folks already making Night Sights for this gun. I didn't have much luck. Just as well I guess as Ameriglo is my go-to anyway. I sure as heck don't want XS Big Dots.

It also seems nearly everyone and their brother is making holsters for the Shield now.

What kind of holsters are you all looking at for your shield? I'm contemplating getting a shield with either a tuckable and/or pocket holster and wanted to see what kind of success you all have had in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by dickmadison View Post
    What kind of holsters are you all looking at for your shield? I'm contemplating getting a shield with either a tuckable and/or pocket holster and wanted to see what kind of success you all have had in that area.
    Still working that out. My go-to holster folks are all making holsters for the Shield. Listed alphabetically so as to avoid "choosing" one over another.

Comp-Tac
    Dark Star Gear
    Personal Security Systems

Blade-Tech's holsters are forthcoming; I've got one of the Nano models that I've re-jiggered for appendix and it's pretty awesome.

Is it shameless to say my own?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List