Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: New S&W Shield?

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    It's too big for a pocket, and if I'm carrying on the belt I might as well carry a G19 or an M&Pc. So while I think this is the best single stack 9mm on the market, I still don't get the idea.
    I agree 100%. Though in fairness, you should be aware that men's trousers have bigger pockets than the stuff they sell in the kid's department.

Here's my problem with the gun though.

It's too big for a pocket, and if I'm carrying on the belt I might as well carry a G19 or an M&Pc. So while I think this is the best single stack 9mm on the market, I still don't get the idea.
    For my own carry use, I just don't see a need for such a pistol; however, I could see it being a handy trainer for older children, teens, and ladies as well as a fine carry piece for ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I agree 100%. Though in fairness, you should be aware that men's trousers have bigger pockets than the stuff they sell in the kid's department.
    zing.

Is this new M&P more or less pocketable than a glock 26? I don't know that I've seen any direct size comparisons, and I don't know that the specs will immediately make it obvious, as I've never owned a pocketable pistol, but perhaps might have call for one in the future. I typically wear pants with fairly sizable pockets (no jeans, for sure).
    I don't understand what's happening, but I have a soldering iron.

It's quite a bit more pocketable than a G26, that's for damn sure. I could carry it fine in cargo pants pockets, but in pants that normal people (or adults) wear it'd be tough.

I know a few people who can't, for various reasons, comfortably carry AIWB. Would a re-loadable semi-auto offer more of an advantage on paper to those shooters over a j-frame? Absolutely.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

but in pants that normal people (or adults) wear it'd be tough.
    I'd be offended but I don't think I count as a 'normal person.' I generally wear some incarnation of Duluth's work pants. The pants are definitely more sizable than any jeans.

That said, based on what I've read so far, it ends up on the shortlist for me if I have call for a pocketable pistol, I think.

We are diminished
    Unlike caleb I've not handled one in person. But this class of handgun, to me, it's intended primarily to appeal to folks who don't put the time, energy, and money into handgun shooting that the average PF member does. It's for the person who thinks smaller is better and never gets beyond that point.

And candidly, an eight or nine shot 9mm pistol is far better than what many people choose as their "small" gun.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Unlike caleb I've not handled one in person. But this class of handgun, to me, it's intended primarily to appeal to folks who don't put the time, energy, and money into handgun shooting that the average PF member does. It's for the person who thinks smaller is better and never gets beyond that point.
    My current field of employ is touring with theatrical shows. Given the nature of my work, I could not reliably conceal a pistol that wasn't in my pocket. (I spend a -lot- of time in odd positions, climbing, crawling and shimmying) If, and that's a definite if, the national reciprocity bill passes, I'll be taking a hard look at the logistics of carrying while on tour, and in that consideration I would be much more comfortable with an auto than with a revolver, considering probably 99% of my shooting life has been with autos.

I'm not able to train or practice with the kind of frequency that would even come close to matching most of the folks on this forum, but the prospect of possibly having the ability to carry a pistol is a very exciting one.

And candidly, an eight or nine shot 9mm pistol is far better than what many people choose as their "small" gun.
    Since my thoughts haven't proceeded much past the thought stage, I haven't spent much time with a 26 to see how well it would actually manage in a pocket-carry situation, I can't say that I'd even -need- a slimmer gun, but if a good-quality option in that category exists, it's encouraging.

I've seen a gigantic friend of mine disappear a Glock 29 into a pants pocket. But for most, a G26 is very hard to manage daily in pants pockets.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

So while I think this is the best single stack 9mm on the market
    Why is it better than a Walther PPS?

I sold my PPS, but not because of any negatives about the gun itself....more for reasons already stated that if I was carrying the PPS, I could carry my P2000 anyways. Still, besting the PPS as a single-stack, sub-compact 9 is a tall order.

User Tag List