Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 mags in a 19

Glock 17 mags in a 19

I'm pondering carrying my Glock 19 for everything in the next year (uniform and CCW). In uniform, I plan to carry it with a Surefire X300 attached. I started playing with different combos and I have to say I really like the feel of the gun with G17 mags when the light is attached. It seems to balance things out well (obviously the feel changes as the magazine gets near empty).

Has anyone else found this?
    Anyone see anything wrong with carrying G17 mags in a G19?

I'll use G19 mags without the light attached when not in uniform.

A 17 magazine is my standard reload, to avoid pinching my hand, and I typically only use 17 mags as my spares to avoid ending up with a 19 mag when I have a Glock 17. Not infrequently, I use 17 mags as primary on the range in a Glock 19. Another option is a 19 magazine with a +2 Glock extension.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A 17 magazine is my standard reload, to avoid pinching my hand, and I typically only use 17 mags as my spares to avoid ending up with a 19 mag when I have a Glock 17. Not infrequently, I use 17 mags as primary on the range in a Glock 19. Another option is a 19 magazine with a +2 Glock extension.
    All of the above.

I only use G17 mags for reloads.

People have literally been doing this since the 80's. Relevant: http://bit.ly/Q34jJe

Site Supporter
    Same. Never an issue.

Cookie Monster

Other than looking a little odd I don't see why it would be a functional problem. I've run a Glock 19 both on and off duty for over a year now without issue. I use G17 mags for reloads and carry a G19 mag with Glock +2 in the pistol. If you're comfortable with it and it works well for you then that's all that matters.

I carried a 2ND Gen Glock 19 on and off duty for close to two years using the G-19 mag as primary win G17 mags for reloads. It was a great set up that would only be better with a weapons light. If your intent on staying with G17 mags you might consider a slide on spacer that fills the empty space at the bottom of the G17 mags used in a G-19.

Just note that if you reload with a 17 mag in a 19 (without a spacer), there is always a chance for over insertion.

While not a Glock, another student in a class I took this summer over inserted a full size mag into a compact HK. This locked the gun up and he bent the ejector.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by quack View Post
    Just note that if you reload with a 17 mag in a 19 (without a spacer), there is always a chance for over insertion.

While not a Glock, another student in a class I took this summer over inserted a full size mag into a compact HK. This locked the gun up and he bent the ejector.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I have never seen that occur with a Glock. Has anyone?

User Tag List