Thread: New to me G17...

New to me G17...

I found and purchased an older Gen3 G17. I checked the serial number and I believe it was manufactured around April 2005. I field stripped and dry fired it a few times with snap caps and took it to the range. Everything went well. Didn't have any issues. It performed like everyone says it should. This is my 2nd pistol purchase and my first Glock. As far as I can tell, this gun is completely stock all the way up to and including the sights. I only put 100 rounds through it today, but I have no complaints.

I've read about people buying used Glocks and tacking/sending them to the plant in Georgia, if I take this action what are they likely to do, what is the benefit? I'm looking for advice, as a first time Glock owner, on how to move forward. Just because there are a bazillion aftermarket parts for these things I see know reason to randomly spend money just for fun. This gun will be used for concealed carry and home defense and that is how I want it set up. I want to place a premium on reliability and durability and stick with OE parts whenever possible.

So, for all you Glockperts, what works with these guns and what doesn't?

Thanks in advance.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by poptopjr View Post
    I found and purchased an older Gen3 G17. I checked the serial number and I believe it was manufactured around April 2005. I field stripped and dry fired it a few times with snap caps and took it to the range. Everything went well. Didn't have any issues. It performed like everyone says it should. This is my 2nd pistol purchase and my first Glock. As far as I can tell, this gun is completely stock all the way up to and including the sights. I only put 100 rounds through it today, but I have no complaints.

I've read about people buying used Glocks and tacking/sending them to the plant in Georgia, if I take this action what are they likely to do, what is the benefit? I'm looking for advice, as a first time Glock owner, on how to move forward. Just because there are a bazillion aftermarket parts for these things I see know reason to randomly spend money just for fun. This gun will be used for concealed carry and home defense and that is how I want it set up. I want to place a premium on reliability and durability and stick with OE parts whenever possible.

So, for all you Glockperts, what works with these guns and what doesn't?

Thanks in advance.
    Keith
    Ammo!!!!!!!! But seriously, a Gen 3 that new doesn't need anything. Leave it stock except for the sights and shoot it.

I definitely plan on shooting it. I shoot once a week, sometimes twice. I also have an M&P9 that I bought new in January. I just finished up the 2,000 round challenge a couple of weeks ago.

I guess my question is about replacement parts. I've never purchased a used gun before. Is there anything I can/should look at before I consider carrying with the Glock or just a round count? Also, parts like springs, is it best to stay with OE or do others make better springs?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by poptopjr View Post
    I definitely plan on shooting it. I shoot once a week, sometimes twice. I also have an M&P9 that I bought new in January. I just finished up the 2,000 round challenge a couple of weeks ago.

I guess my question is about replacement parts. I've never purchased a used gun before. Is there anything I can/should look at before I consider carrying with the Glock or just a round count? Also, parts like springs, is it best to stay with OE or do others make better springs?

Thanks.
    If it functions well keep enjoying it. But nothing wrong and something good with keeping some replacement springs on hand. Recoil springs first because they are a wear item like tires. IIRC the factory recommended interval for those was . . . . was . . . 3K rounds or was it 5K? I have it in my head the Gen 4 is 7500 rounds, quite a bit over the Gen 3. But I digress.

It was long recommended to have a spare trigger spring as they were one of the few parts known to break (albeit I've never had one break). But they upgraded the spring itself some years back and I am to understand these springs are more robust now.

The free Inspect and Upgrade is a neat service from the factory and I've used it on two Gen 2's I bought used back in the '90's. While I have had only good luck with new Glocks and I've been known to partake of the koolaid now and then, I'd be nervous if they wanted to upgrade your extractor. I am confident that you could make it clear that you want back any part they replace and you'd get it. Easier to control if you just drove over to the plant which is what I could do living here near ATL.

Join the GSSF and you can schedule and take an armorer's class now if you really driven to learn the insides of it. I never have, just had an armorer friend spend about 30 mins showing me the ins and outs of the basics I wanted which was really mostly getting at the connectors.
    Last edited by JHC; 04-07-2012 at 11:52 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

JHC has some good advice here. Take it out, shoot it and see if it performs. I might consider swapping out the recoil spring assembly for peace of mind, especially since it is easily done while field stripping the pistol. You can buy a replacement OEM recoil spring assembly for less than $10. I recommend sticking with OEM parts.

Though I can order replacement parts directly from Glock as a certified armorer, Glockparts.com is a great place to get small parts quickly.

I've had to swap out broken trigger springs for friends, but never had one break myself (and curiously, my Glocks are all higher round count guns than those of my buddies). For $3, having a spare trigger spring on hand is never a bad idea. Glock springs are cheap - you can respring the entire gun for $20. That said, that'll require a detail strip and is probably best done by an Armorer or someone who has done it before.

If there is a GSSF event in your area, you can have a Glock Armorer inspect your pistol for free.

ETA: If the pistol still has the stock plastic sights, I'd recommend swapping those out for a set of tritium sights, particularly if you plan to use this pistol for carry or home defense. The plastic sights are fragile, imprecise and offer no assistance in low light conditions. Just about every sight manufacturer makes sights for the Glock, and there are multiple threads on this site that detail their various merits. I prefer Warren carry sights, but Trijicon HDs, Ameriglo Hackathorns, Heines and others have followings here. Even the Glock OEM night sights are a comparatively heap and preferable upgrade over the plastic parts. Though I recommend sticking with Glock OEM parts for just about everything, sights are one category where the aftermarket offerings bear serious consideration.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 04-07-2012 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks for the advice...

I am going to pick up a spring kit and replace those. I feel like that is good insurance considering I have no idea how many rounds have been shot with the gun, or if all the springs are stock/aftermarket. I plan on contacting the plant in GA to ask some questions. I know it's only 110 rounds so far, but the gun runs great. I really don't want them replacing parts just because, but I would like to know if they were having an issue that has since been resolved.

Sights will be the first upgrade the gun gets. Haven't decided yet on the brand. I think I want tritium up front, panted post, and a black rear. I have stock three dots on the M&P. I blacked out the two dots in the back and I think it is much better. What ever I get I want availability for both guns, I can deal with a slightly different feel, but I want it to look the same when I'm looking down the slide.

I must admit it is very difficult to not buy every little gadget available for these guns. I really like the sound of the Ghost Patrol connector, but Todd's recent experience with the Lonewolf connector has me not moving on anything aftermarket right now. Shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. That is the current plan.

Keith

Check out the Hackathorn sights from Ameriglo, sounds about what you are looking for.

User Tag List