Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 450 million rounds...

Site Supporter

450 million rounds...

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-im...of-ammo-2012-3

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and its Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) office is getting an "indefinite delivery" of an "indefinite quantity" of .40 caliber bullets from defense contractor ATK.

U.S. agents will receive a maximum of 450 million rounds over five years, according to a press release on the deal.

And here i am feeling guilty about spending money on a case a month...

Anybody happen to know how many rounds per agent that divides out to? I wonder what the training consists of..
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    They're probably secretly spinning up the Civilian National Security Force...

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Anybody happen to know how many rounds per agent that divides out to? I wonder what the training consists of..
    It's less awe-inspiring when one stops to think about how many agencies are under the DHS umbrella these days: USSS, FAM, BP, ICE, USCG...

If I were more cynical, I might think that there was some log-rolling going on here due to the draw-down of overseas forces in the GWOT and its potential adverse affect on a company that had spun up production massively in the mid-Aughties to keep up with demand. I mean, it wouldn't be the first bailout the feds have done in the last six years...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

That... might be enough.

This was posted on another forum. I have no familiarity with the subject matter.

Originally posted by caneau on sigforum.com:
    Our educational system has failed us...this person can't do math, or read for that matter.

First, this is a multi-year contract, so it's not 450 million rounds at once.

Second, as mentioned, FLETC runs a whole bunch of courses for thousands of law enforcement personnel year-round.

This is just a guesstimate, but I'd say there are probably around 50,000 law enforcement personnel in DHS. Between all of the police officers, FPS, USBP, USCG, Secret Service, ICE, etc., my guess is that about 1 in 4 DHS employees are sworn law enforcement.

So let's take 450,000,000 and divide that by 50,000. This equals 9,000 rounds. Let's say this is a 5 year contract (which is pretty typical, often a 2 year contract for a base, with 3 option years), so that works out to 1,800 rounds per officer, per year. If you factor out FLETC, you're probably looking at somewhere in the vicinity of 1,000 rounds per officer, per year. So someone's getting upset about DHS purchasing for their officers per year about as many rounds as you go through in a decent 4 day shooting class? I order 1,800 rounds of ammo for my AR or pistols online without really batting an eye. Hell, I'd be happy that they're taking training that seriously and giving officers the opportunity to practice.

Finally, just because ICE purchased it doesn't mean it isn't a bulk order for multiple agencies. ICE tends to be a focal point for a lot of procurement or shared resources, for one reason or another. It's typically much easier to coordinate procurement for large orders on the back-end than have multiple solicitations our for the same product from different agencies and vendors. Rolling up a multi-agency order into one big one is actually a pretty smart government business practice.

@donovanm ... so what you are saying is that many of us here have already shot our allowance for the year........ within this month
    Taking a break from social media.

Maybe that order or word of it had something to do with my local 9mm case price jumping from $179 to $249 in about a week.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

@donovanm ... so what you are saying is that many of us here have already shot our allowance for the year........ within this month
    I certainly hope so!

User Tag List