Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Thread: "Florida Man" Back in the News

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    They are also legal vermin and may be shot without limit.
    The stalking doesn't look too difficult...

Site Supporter
    Eel is one of my favorites in Japanese restaurants. We buy canned roasted eel from China to put over rice or noodles. We made friends with the owner/Chef of a great Japanese restaurant in Portland. My daughter loved to order unaju there. In third grade, the kids had to make a poster of their favorite food - she put down eel. Surprised a few.

Wegmans has eel rolls now. The Asian market here sell live eel. When I was a kid in Brooklyn, the fish market has a barrel of live eels as people of Italian descent would buy them and cook them in tomato sauce.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Aren't tarpon just a giant goldfish (carp)?
    Nope. They're their own unique thing, and famously bony & bad tasting. The whole point of catching them lies entirely in catching them.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Yeah so maybe y’all have jets, and maybe y’all have cars but y’all don’t have any JET FREAKING CARS.

My daughter in law sent me this picture today, They were getting on the turnpike near Ocala when they saw this rig on the way. I mean, seriously lol.

Name:  IMG_7229.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  73.3 KB

Site Supporter
    ^^^^In front of a "Pilot" gas station, no less.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Had alligator spare ribs in New Orleans - not bad. Don't know if they were fed on old people from Florida retirement homes who fell into canals.
    Did Amos Moses catch it for you?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Yeah so maybe y’all have jets, and maybe y’all have cars but y’all don’t have any JET FREAKING CARS.

My daughter in law sent me this picture today, They were getting on the turnpike near Ocala when they saw this rig on the way. I mean, seriously lol.

https://jetsetterus.com/gallery
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Would use it on tailgaters, seriously.

Would also add a movable plywood rudder synced to the front wheels.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Meanwhile in California.... https://www.motortrend.com/news/jet-...-price-photos/

(I wasn't aware that thing was for sale. I wanted to find the original website describing the vehicle build, but alas, I can't find it right now. Not while using a phone, at least.)

They came for Florida’s sun and sand. They got soaring costs and a culture war.

Are things this bad in Florida? I'm aware that many people make moves without enough due diligence and thought, but are these folks the norm and is what they say true? I mean after reading some of you guys on here, I though Florida was a paradise.

Some examples: And the link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/came-flor...130000443.html

Contributing to their move was a perfect storm of soaring insurance costs, a hostile political environment, worsening traffic and extreme weather, according to interviews with more than a dozen recent transplants and longtime residents who left the state in the past two years.

While costs have been rising across the country, some areas of Florida have been hit particularly hard. In the South Florida region, which includes Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach, consumer prices in February were up nearly 5% over the prior year, compared to 3.2% nationally, according to the most recent data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Homeowners insurance rates in Florida rose 42% last year to an average of $6,000 annually, driven by hurricanes and climate change, and car insurance in Florida is more than 50% higher than the national average, according to the Insurance Information Institute. While once seen as an affordable housing market, Florida is now among the more expensive states to buy a home in, with prices up 60% since 2020 to an average of $388,500, according to Zillow.

Her homeowners insurance company threatened to drop her coverage if she didn’t replace her home’s 9-year-old roof, a $16,000 to $30,000 project, and even with a new roof, she was expecting her home insurance rates to double — one neighbor saw their insurance go from $600 a month to $1,200 a month.

She was also facing rising property taxes as the value of her home increased, her homeowners association fees went from $326 a month to $480, and her insurance agent warned that her car insurance would likely double when it was time to renew her policy. Her husband had to get a second job on weekends to cover the higher costs.

While Florida has an unemployment rate below the national average, Blaski and others said wages weren’t enough to keep up with their expenses. The median salary in Florida is among the lowest in the country, according to payroll processor ADP. To afford a home in one of Florida’s more affordable metro areas, like Jacksonville, a homebuyer would need to earn $109,000 a year, around twice as much income as a buyer would have needed just four years ago, according to an analysis by Zillow.

“I saw my neighbors and co-workers become more radicalized, more aggressive and more angry about politics. I’m thinking, where is this coming from? These are not the people I remember,” Schmitz said. “I was finally like, we need to get the hell out of here, things are not going well.”

For some Florida newcomers though, politics is the main draw to the state, said John Desautels, who has sold real estate in Florida for decades. While politics never used to be a topic for homebuyers, Desautels said it is now a regular subject his clients bring up. Rather than asking about schools or amenities in a community, prospective buyers are asking him about the political affiliations of a certain neighborhood.

“One of the first things they say is, ‘I don’t want to be in one of them X or Y political party neighborhoods,’” Desautels said. “I spend hours listening to people vent to me about fleeing the communist government of XYZ and they want to come to freedom or whatever. So the politics have been the biggest issue when we get the call.”

Despite our reputation as a Bible Belt Backwater, maybe Kansas isn't so bad.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List