View Poll Results: 22LR out to 200yds for fun, bolt or semi?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Build a T1X to match the 700

14 66.67%
  • Build a 10/22 that sort of matches the 700

2 9.52%
  • Who cares if it's only 200yds, buy a 6 Creed RPR and quit overthinking

1 4.76%
  • Posters here are shit

3 14.29%
  • Mods here are shit

1 4.76%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .22LR out to 200yds for fun, bolt or semi?

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    I was thinking about the CZ457 Varmint Precision.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-457-va...-trainer-camo/

I think it depends on your budget. The options you have are all fine. I agree a .22 trainer would help improve your shooting.
    I have a suppressed CZ 455 Tacticool that is oodles of fun. I am not sure they are still made, however.

I don't know how good they are, but I have the wantsies for one of these straight pull bold action Steyrs which have been on sale recently:
    Scout RFR .22 LR
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 05-04-2019 at 08:21 PM.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Either build a 10/22 or get a CZ Tacticool.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Thanks for the thoughts so far. Plan A made the most sense to me but it never hurts to get a reality check. CZs aren't a bad choice at all, rimfire or centerfire. I've still got my 452 Trainer and if the T1X wasn't around another CZ would be on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Vudoo.
    Yeah, about that...if one of those was in the cards this thread wouldn't be here....

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I bought a used Ruger 22 RPR clone precision rifle.
    The RPRR was on my radar until I handled a couple last year. Brand new out of the box the bolts had bad hang ups. Bad enough that the shop owner and I weren't sure we were going to be able to run the second one forward to close it. I don't think I've seen one in any of my usual 3 haunts for several months now.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Most guys don't realize what people are doing with airguns now.
    True. The past 2-3 years our club has had an airgun show and demo day. Tom Gaylord is usually there and last year the host and crew from American Airgunner was there as well. It's amazing what's being done with, and the money being spent on, airguns today!

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I don't know how good they are, but I have the wantsies for one of these straight pull bold action Steyrs which have been on sale recently
    I really wish I'd gotten in on the Russian Biathalon rifles about 15 years ago when they were coming in for cheap.
    Last edited by awp_101; 05-05-2019 at 09:17 AM.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Another vote for CZ

I have a CZ 455 LR that I shoot at 220 yd plates. I understand that the 455 is discontinued however and replaced with the 457.

These are exceptionally accurate rifles and most people at my range are shocked that I can hit a 16 plate at 220. To be honest I was shocked myself as I was used to the 22's that I shot as a kid. Of course it isn't a CF rifle at 220 yds but that just adds to the challenge. Wind is a huge factor because slow 40 grain bullets get whipped around pretty good even with 10 mph breeze. I don't shoot past 220 even with my .223 but it probably duplicates the challenge of LRP with something like a 6 or 6.5 mm cartridge at 500 yds.

My friend shoots a 10/22 and his won't work at 220. Of course it's an older rifle and I'm sure the new Ruger will hugely out perform it. I've never had much luck with Rugers when it comes to super accurate barrels so I would lean toward a Tikka or CZ.

The nice thing about the CZ is you can convert it to 17 HMR if so desired.

Make sure you get a mil dot scope if you want to shoot at 200 yds because the hold over is extreme. I don't have one and it makes it difficult.

This new game of 22 LR long range is a hoot.
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-05-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Lots of good choices. Buddy of mine has an Anschutz. Very accurate. I have a stock Savage 92R17 that I’ve added a Boyd’s stock and 10x glass. We routinely do 200yds plus with both of them. 8” plates or smaller. Wind is NOT your friend!

Attachment 37831

Savage MKII FVSR
    Dead Air Mask HD
    Vortex 4x12x44 Copper Head
    CCI SV
    prone position
    250 yards 7" AR500 plate
    Hold point was bottom sub tension on 4.5x

Lots of fun
    Taking a break from social media.

I run a PWS (Volquartsen bought the rights to their toggle action and makes em now) T3 out to 150 with a Leupold VX-R 2-7 & a SWR Warlock2. Rimfire at distance is a serious training tool! I have guns I regret buying... spending this much on a rimfire rig, is NOT a regret at all.

My previous bolt gun 22 host was a Savage FVSR and it was no slouch either.
    Last edited by jandbj; 05-05-2019 at 08:08 PM.

Made it to the range today and I'm not sure if it helped or just muddied the waters.

Going through the safe loading up what I'd planned on taking, my 452 jumped up and down begging for attention so I obliged. It's been so long since I've paid it any attention, I'd forgotten it's a Lux (24" barrel) not the shorter Trainer. I've had it about 10 years, it's bone stock and I can guarantee there's been less than 500 rounds through it. Heck, barely 300 would probably be a safe bet. It wears a basic Bushnell 3x9 in Weaver style rings on top of an 11mm-to-3/8" adapter. (At the time that was cheaper than buying new rings so...)

This was the result at 25 yds (Technically 72' according to the distance marked over the target backers but what's 3' among random strangers, right?) :

10 rounds of CCI SV. I didn't re-zero from whatever crap bulk pack I was using last time it was out (5 years ago maybe?) and the flyers were all me. I fired the first 5 which gave the main group and the flyer at 9 o'clock. Cranked up the scope from 3x to 9x for a looksee and had an "Oh crap" moment to myself. Then against my better judgement I decided to reload and try 5 more using the same hold.

Now I'm stumped. The rifle is a shooter and should be a great match to the 700 except KRG doesn't do the Bravo for the 452 so that's a problem for the same stock part of Plan A. MDT has a 452 inlet IIRC but Brownells doesn't carry it so I'd be paying full retail plus shipping (I wait for the Brownells X% off and free shipping deals because I'm a cheap ass frugal) and then adding the AR butt stock components. And it's still not the same as the Bravo.

I need to decide if stock commonality is important enough to go ahead and get a 455 or 457 for the same or less than the Tikka so I can use the same style stock or drive on with what I have, do a trigger tweak and put the difference in cost into more ammo.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Does your 452 have the set trigger? If so, I’d just run what you brung and consider a better optic at some point.

User Tag List