Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quality, basic AR?

Quality, basic AR?

I am purchasing an AR. This will be my first one, likely my only one. I'd like to approach this the same way many on this board recommend approaching pistol shooting; Get a quality gun (like a Glock, P30, M&P), get mucho ammo/magazines, and get some training.
    I will use it to take carbine courses, 3-gun, and defense.

I don't need a free-float tube, quad rails, or other tactical stuff as yet; I will add them as I need them. What I want is a basic AR with quality components, durability for high round counts, and acceptable accuracy. (If it has all the tactical stuff, that's fine too)
    I do not mind spending more for quality, so for that reason I will not set a budget.

I suppose what I am asking is: Who makes the AR equivalent of an out-of-the-box HK P30/Gen 3 Glock?
    All the world's a lathe.

Colt 6920. Without question.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Colt 6920 or 6720. LE6933 if you are willing (and legally able) to deal with a $200 tax stamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Colt 6920 or 6720. LE6933 if you are willing (and legally able) to deal with a $200 tax stamp.
    Exactly. I would put the 6720 above the 6920, simply due to reduced weight with no real downsides relative to the 6920.

How do you compare the Colt models to a BCM?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think BCM is nearly on par with Colt. Colt has been doing this for a *really* long time, however.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Dig around a little and you can generally find Colt's for less than BCM.
    I do my best proofreading after I hit "Send"

How about Daniel Defense, LaRue, and Knight's Armament? Those are the other ones I've been hearing about along with Colt and Bravo Company.

But, it sounds like Colt is the way to go.
    All the world's a lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by TCz View Post
    How about Daniel Defense, LaRue, and Knight's Armament? Those are the other ones I've been hearing about along with Colt and Bravo Company.

But, it sounds like Colt is the way to go.
    I know DD and LaRue are G2G. I have no experience with Knights so I cannot comment on it. Those might be a little bit past the price range you were suggesting, however, especially the LaRues. They can be quite pricey in comparison to some other quality "starter" models.

As for what you should get, my vote would definitely get cast with the Colt 6920. I picked up my first rifle quite awhile back, and my decision was weighed between the Colt 6920 and the BCM MOD II. I wanted something with a reasonable price point as close to the TDP as possible. In the end, I got the 6920, and it is one of those rare few decisions that I do not regret at all.
    " One of the tribesmen in Thrace now delights in the shield I discarded /Unwillingly near a bush, for it was perfectly good /But at least I got myself safely out. Why should I care for that shield? / Let it go. Some other time I'll find another no worse. - Archilochus
    "To take the uninstructed to war is to throw them away" - Confucious

I think it's important to separate one class of guns from another.

Guns like the Larue line, the KAC SR15, Daniel Defense, most Noveskes, etc. come already "tricked out". This is good for those that know what they want, based on prior experience, and for who "what they want" is exactly what these makers offer. I consider all of these "boutique" guns.

Guns like the Colts suggested and certain BCM "builds" offer a great entry-level option for those that lack the experience to know what they NEED, but posses the intelligence to know the difference. They get you a high-quality gun, with a higher likelihood of running and running for the long-haul, as you learn about the platform system. When starting out there is often a temptation to buy a less-expensive, and lesser-quality, sample but that is asking for trouble IMO and is sure to turn eople off. I know a whole slew of guys that hate the 1911 simply because their only experience is with a $400 RIA.

For someone getting started with the AR FOW I will always suggest what the OP appears to be doing, which is to buy the basic gun and apply basic accessories (such as a good two-point quick adjust sling like the VTAC, VCAS, or SOB, possibly an Aimpoint or Eotech, etc.) so that they can get out and shoot the gun and learn what works for them in the way that they intend to use the gun, or that they discover they enjoy using the gun. I do not suggest a light right out of the gate because I do not suggest using a gun you are unfamiliar with, and untrained on, for defensive purposes, and defensive purposes are the only reason for the light.

By all means, if you're a guy that learns from failure and are flush with cash, buy the Larue or KAC, trick it all out with optics, lasers, and lights (get yourself a plate carrier while you're at it, you gotta trick yourself out as well as the gun), provided you have the money to also buy the ammo and get the training.

For the rest of us, I promise, it will always be less expensive in the long run to buy the basic gun, learn how to use it, and intelligently adjust/modify as necessary. I am telling you this based on the experience of having done it WRONG myself and subsequently advising dozens of others not to do it the way I did and observing their success as well as receiving their thanks for saving them from over-spending.

User Tag List