Page 103 of 122 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1219

Thread: JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster review

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Thought I would post up in case any one else is considering AIWB with my body shape; tl;dr: Not sure I am made for AIWB:

I've been experimenting with literally just the unloaded P30SK inside my cargo shorts front this weekend. Long story short, I don't think I am the right body type (too big in the middle, too short waisted, chest too large) for it to be comfortable for me at this time.

So, I tried the P30SK in the VP9 IWB 1 today at 8 o'clock with my more flexible Uncle Mike's rigger belt. Even though the P30SK is not a great fit, and the VP9 holster is larger, I find that the back of the hip carry is good sitting, it is off my hip bone, I can manage a draw, and there is not the weight pull that I was seeing with the Walther with the IWB 3 single clip.

I will continue to try this combo this week but honestly I think "for now" to get me a baseline of carrying every day (first rule: carry a gun) then I am leaning to a IWB version 1 for the P30SK (I am finding I like the soft loops more, now that I figured out how they open only one way.)

If rule one is "carry your gun" I think 'for me' back of hip carry will allow me to do that, with more comfort doing the things I do, than AIWB at this time. Thanks everyone for the excellent advice in this thread.
    I am left Handed as well.. I am not sure if you tried it yet, but I find the best concealed/most comfortable option to be a JM IWB3 with snap loops straddling my 8:30-9 o' clock belt loop. I've tried various cants, and more cant = more comfort for me because it takes the holster off of my hip bone. I settled on 15 degrees because it provides comfort and isn't too canted to where I can't establish a good initial firing grip.

To add to the AIWB part of the thread.. I may be weird, but I find appendix much more comfortable without the bulk of a foam wedge, just not as "comforting." The JM Wing-Claw is excellent, I just prefer a Glock on my strong side.

JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster review

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    I am left Handed as well.. I am not sure if you tried it yet, but I find the best concealed/most comfortable option to be a JM IWB3 with snap loops straddling my 8:30-9 o' clock belt loop. I've tried various cants, and more cant = more comfort for me because it takes the holster off of my hip bone. I settled on 15 degrees because it provides comfort and isn't too canted to where I can't establish a good initial firing grip.
    Yep. Tony supplied me a nice IWB 3 for my (now sold) Walther PPS M2.

First I tried it with the hard clip, and found that it pulled quite a bit on my belt more than I liked. Since that wasn't working, I mounted the pair of pull-the-dot loops that I'd asked Tony to send. Those worked better, making the holster sit more comfortably. But it still dragged my belt/pants down...I finally decided the problem was the small size of the IWB 3 (section width, as it were) relative to the fairly dense (21 oz for a 6+1 round pistol) and heavy PPS M2.

The next one I ordered was an IWB 1 (wide, two softloops) for my VP9. That worked great, as far as carry. Moving the loops out made a much better carry experience, relative to the belt. Plus 15+1 and all that...But it turned out to be physically too big.

What I've discovered is that there is no one holster design that works for everybody. Body shapes and sizes vary, as well as what is "comfortable". And, not being a sort of kind of 'gun' person until recently, I do not have the depth of experience with carrying that most of ya'll probably do.

So I've had to arrive at my choices by recent trial and error. I am planning for the P30SK, carried in an IWB 1, will prove to be the 'goldilocks' gun/holster for me. I just need a few more days of experimentation for me to be comfortable.

Geez I sure do appreciate the rueful "I have a drawer full of holsters" comment a lot more now lol.
    Last edited by RJ; 10-10-2016 at 08:02 PM. Reason: werds r hard

Rich,

Now that you have a duty sized and a com/subcom gun that are the same frame and general slide profile, I would suggest looking at a quality leather holster. A JRC SSA would not be a bad option for your dress style and can work anywhere between your strong side hip and your 1130 position.

I love kydex. I make kydex stuff. I recognize that for plenty of people, the true sweet spot is hard to find with a kydex holster. Sometimes leather is the answer. Also, they are pretty. And my JRC fits all of my HK Pseries and VP9 no problems. Very impressed w his work.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    Rich,

Now that you have a duty sized and a com/subcom gun that are the same frame and general slide profile, I would suggest looking at a quality leather holster. A JRC SSA would not be a bad option for your dress style and can work anywhere between your strong side hip and your 1130 position.

I love kydex. I make kydex stuff. I recognize that for plenty of people, the true sweet spot is hard to find with a kydex holster. Sometimes leather is the answer. Also, they are pretty. And my JRC fits all of my HK Pseries and VP9 no problems. Very impressed w his work.
    This ^ for me leather is the only way to go if I am not aiwb, everyone is different though. There are several quality leather holsters to choose from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So in the spirit of carrying the same gun all the time, this is my latest JM AIWB holster to experiment with. I've attempted foam wedge + wing, foam wedge with no wing, and have temporarily settled on wing with no wedge.

Although holster quality is great, not sure how this is going to work out comfort wise...time will tell

Last edited by pr1042; 10-23-2016 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pr1042 View Post
    So in the spirit of carrying the same gun all the time, this is my latest JM AIWB holster to experiment with. I've attempted foam wedge + wing, foam wedge with no wing, and have temporarily settled on wing with no wedge.

Although holster quality is great, not sure how this is going to work out comfort wise...time will tell

Yeah but it looks cool[emoji2]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Keep us posted on which method eventually works for you (or not) in the long run.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    Rich,

Thanks, and I will look at leather options.

Update: I decided to try an AIWB setup.

I Mexican carried the P30SK around the house enough to conclude it might work.

So I contacted Tony and asked to have my open order changed to a standard AIWB, no wedge or claw.

I'll report back when it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Thanks, and I will look at leather options.

Update: I decided to try an AIWB setup.

I Mexican carried the P30SK around the house enough to conclude it might work.

So I contacted Tony and asked to have my open order changed to a standard AIWB, no wedge or claw.

I'll report back when it arrives.
    Careful...you may end up getting deported.

Back on point...let us know if you prefer the clawless / wedgeless solution. I'm generally of the camp that says simplest is best but Tony and others have shown me that that may not always be the case.
    Last edited by blues; 10-23-2016 at 10:21 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster review

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Careful...you may end up getting deported.

Back on point...let us know if you prefer the clawless / wedgeless solution. I'm generally of the camp that says simplest is best but Tony and others have shown me that that may not always be the case.
    Copy lol.

Yeah, without any previous history or experience, and with me being more towards the "Friar Tuck" shape, with a P30SK, my thinking was a 4.57" high pistol would not need a claw, and not being rail-thin, I would not benefit from a wedge.
    Last edited by RJ; 10-23-2016 at 10:27 AM.

User Tag List