Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 300 AAC Blackout (BLK) thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The other question I have is how does a non-expanding .30 cal subsonic projectile compare to a modern 9mm defensive load like the 147 grain Gold Dot at "CQB" distance?
    This is the interesting question to me as well. If the blackout is going to evolve into a useful military/law enforcement cartridge, it would seem to me that it would need to outperform a subsonic 9mm defense load by a pretty decent margin to make it worth the cost of operation and acquisition.

Sounds like a job for... DOCGKR!!!
    I train to be better than I was yesterday. -F2S

The only reason I would potentially get into this round would be for a sub 10 inch SBR that was terminally effective out to 200 yards. Would the 300 blk do this for me or not?

Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    The only reason I would potentially get into this round would be for a sub 10 inch SBR that was terminally effective out to 200 yards. Would the 300 blk do this for me or not?
    With supersonic ammo I believe it would do this quite well.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    Silvers has been posting this all over the internets. It seems impressive but I'm still trying to find a picture of the gel block with a scale.

and at 100 yards (I believe)

and then this for zeroing

Drop chart from 9 inch set up for max point blank range (+- 3.5 inches- MAXPBR 229 yards)

0 -2.6
    50 +1.4
    100 +3.4
    150 +3.0
    198 0.0
    200 -0.2
    229 -3.4
    250 -6.4
    300 -15.8

The .300 BLK is very versatile as it can do the same job as well or better than suppressed MP5's, 5.56 mm SBR's, and AK47's. External and terminal ballistics are equal to or better than the well proven 7.62x39mm. With barrier blind projectiles, .300 BLK is an ideal caliber for both Patrol and Tactical LE use, as it offers outstanding terminal performance and intermediate barrier capability in the critical 0-100m range and remains capable out to 300m or so. With the advent of barrier blind loads like the Barnes 110 gr Tac-TX and upcoming bonded loads like the Rem CLUB, the .300 BLK becomes an outstanding choice for hunting up to med game and can be used in any hunting situation that is appropriate for lighter .30-30 loads.

For a pure hunting rig, I'd likely go with a 6.8 mm, as it offers greater range, capability to go after a bit larger game, and a wider range of hunting loads, but .300 BLK has a lot going for it.

With any of the alternate AR15 calibers, have an identically configured 5.56 mm upper and do the majority of rote training using that to reduce costs (especially if you get free 5.56 mm ammo at work) and save the larger caliber for duty/hunting use.

My only reason for wanting one is to be able to deer hunt with my carbine, legally. In KS 5.56 is a no-no for deer, has to be a round .23 or bigger.

I've been wanting a 6.8 for awhile, but if the ammo situation goes as the advertising/internet claims state then the .300 would be a better bet for me.

I want a deer gun that I can fight with if need be, so basically that would be my mission. If I could legally hunt with my 5.56 carbines then I wouldn't even entertain the idea.

Competition use

Wasnt one of the big draws for the Blackout initially that it was a conventional AR capable round that made major in some 3 gun venues due to its diameter while still having acceptable ballistics? This then combined with its capability to operate subsonic with a can, gave it two niche capabilities in one cartridge. Claiming to have terrific terminal ballistics is new on me, most of the hype I have heard is in competition rags like Front Sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemsoldier View Post
    Wasnt one of the big draws for the Blackout initially that it was a conventional AR capable round that made major in some 3 gun venues due to its diameter while still having acceptable ballistics? This then combined with its capability to operate subsonic with a can, gave it two niche capabilities in one cartridge. Claiming to have terrific terminal ballistics is new on me, most of the hype I have heard is in competition rags like Front Sight.
    It is possible to make major in USPSA 3-gun with the 300 BLK. Daniel Horner won the 2011 multigun nationals using 300 BLK. He also won Tac Optics in every single other Three-Gun Nation event he participated in save one, using 5.56 in all of those. I have not seen any scoring calculation that indicates that he would NOT have won USPSA with 5.56, and the USPSA Nationals is the only major 3-gun match where power-factor matters because all the others are outlaw matches that don't use power-factor.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I feel lied to about the "cheap" ammo that was supposed to be here by now.
    The cheap ammo is here, and has been here.

http://www.richiespng.com/product.php?item=136515

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    It is possible to make major in USPSA 3-gun with the 300 BLK. Daniel Horner won the 2011 multigun nationals using 300 BLK. He also won Tac Optics in every single other Three-Gun Nation event he participated in save one, using 5.56 in all of those. I have not seen any scoring calculation that indicates that he would NOT have won USPSA with 5.56, and the USPSA Nationals is the only major 3-gun match where power-factor matters because all the others are outlaw matches that don't use power-factor.
    Regardless of if making Major power factor was "needed", the benefit of seeing him win with the cartridge was to show that it is powerful and capable of high performance.

User Tag List