Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DotW 25: AMRAP Burst from Ready

We are diminished

DotW 25: AMRAP Burst from Ready

Please read the rules before participating in this thread.

Week 25: AMRAP Burst from Ready
    results may be posted until 11:59pm EST on Monday 26-March-2012.

Range: 7yd
    Target: 8" circle
    Start position: ready position
    Rounds fired: varies

AMRAP means As Many Rounds As Possible. Drills of this type break from the typical approach to speed shooting ("how fast can I do the drill?") and instead force the shooter to engage the target until it "disappears" ... in other words, until time runs out. We're going to do a series of these over the next few weeks, so this is just to get everyone's feet wet.

Set your shot timer to a PAR of 2 seconds (or use a turning target system measured at 2 seconds of face time). On the buzzer, fire as many rounds into the 8" circle as you can in the allotted time. If using a timer, check to make sure not to count any shots that were fired late.

Starting position will be any ready position of your choosing that does not involve the muzzle pointing at the target or target backer.

You'll repeat the drill a total of five times. With each repetition, try to push yourself a little bit harder to make just one more hit.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:
    • Choice of ready position.
    • Number of shots fired and number of hits for each rep.

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

I saw "AMRAP" in the thread title and realized that crossfit has infected your mind. In an awesome way, of course.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I saw "AMRAP" in the thread title and realized that crossfit has infected your mind.
    No, just my knees.

Actually, I first learned "AMRAP" in a shooting context and thought it was very funny that they used it in CrossFit.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    No, just my knees.

Actually, I first learned "AMRAP" in a shooting context and thought it was very funny that they used it in CrossFit.
    And now I'm in the exact reverse of that; I'd been using AMRAP in a fitness context for years and this is the first time I'm ever heard it used in shooting.

Name:  TheMoreYouKnow.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  22.5 KB

Got it done early this week.

Ready position was threat ready (gun extended, muzzle depressed just below the bottom edge of the IDPA silhouette in this case.)

String 1: 6 fired, 4 hits
    String 2: 8 fired, 6 hits
    String 3: 8 fired, 7 hits
    String 4: 8 fired, 7 hits
    String 5: 8 fired, 8 hits

Unnecessary details:

String 1 (Gen3 G34 with Defoor sights) was completed in 1.59 seconds. The two misses were a bit low in the –1 zone. I was a little out of time with the recoil and drove those two shots down.

String 2 (Gen3 G34 with Ameriglo Operators with the original white ring on the front sight) was completed in 1.85 seconds. One miss was an inch low and one was an inch to the right.

String 3 (Gen3 G34 with mini-Hacks – Operators with the ring painted florescent red) was completed in 1.77 seconds. The miss was high by ½”.

String 4 (Gen3 G34 with Defoor sights) was completed in 1.73 seconds. The miss was low left out of the circle by about the minimum possible amount – grease ring just missed the line.

String 5 (Gen3 G34 with Defoor sights) was completed in 1.76 seconds.

First shot times were .33 to .37 or so. Splits were all .17 to .22.

I’m pretty strapped for ammo at the moment, so I was being stingy and making sure I didn’t overrun the PAR time excessively, but what ended up actually happening was that I stopped short of the PAR and didn’t fire another shot that I could have. Only string 2 didn’t leave enough time to get another shot under PAR. All the other strings had enough time left that there could easily have been one more shot fired.

I didn’t notice any functional difference between the three different sights in this drill.

We are diminished

Starting position: high ready

String 1: 8 shots, 7 hits... 1 late
    String 2: 8 shots, 8 hits
    String 3: 9 shots, 8 hits ... 1 late
    String 4: 9 shots, 8 hits ... 1 miss
    String 5: 9 shots, 8 hits ... 1 late

Ready position: Low ready (pointed at base of target stand)
    1: 7 shots, 1 over par, 1 miss, 5 hits
    2: 8 shots, 1 over par, 1 miss, 6 hits
    3: 8 shots, 2 over par, 6 hits
    4: 7 shots, 1 over par, 6 hits
    5: 8 shots, 1 over par, 7 hits

[sigh] I get my first shot off at an average of .45 s, the first split is invariably about .30, the next three average about .22 each, then after the fourth or fifth shot there is normally a split of about .30, then the rest are .25-ish.

On video, my stance is decent, my grip placement is fine (not losing the grip, the gun is still under control) except that the more I fire rapidly, the tighter my grip gets with my strong hand, and after the 4th or 5th shot, I can't control the trigger properly without a brief relaxation that takes extra time.

Apparently, I have an in-built 3-to-4 round burst capability with automatic disconnect. (From a REALLY SLOW machinegun.)

Need to work on keeping that strong hand more relaxed under multiple shots.

This is the most fun I've had at the range in a long time!

I don't know if it's the page of P-T drills, and DotW finally paying off...but that was fun.

HK P30 V3
    RSS extended confirmed ready method. Using this I was getting first hit very near .50 second with first shot TDA.... I like this method
    S1: 7/8 1 late
    S2: 7/7 clean
    S3: 6/9 2 miss 1 late
    S4: 7/9 1 miss 1 late
    S5: 8/8 clean
    Taking a break from social media.

Drill: DOTW Week 25 - AMRAP
    Gun: HK P30L LEM v4 9mm
    Ammo: WWB 115gr FMJ
    Position: High Compressed Ready
    Distance: 7 Yds
    Par Time: 2.0

Run 1

7 Shots, 7 Hits

0.81/.22/.20/.18/.18/.19/.19 - 1.97

Run 2

8 Shots, 8 Hits

0.74/.19/.19/.17/.18/.17/.18/.16 - 1.98

Run 3

8 Shots, 8 Hits

0.72/.21/.18/.17/.18/.16/.19/.18 - 1.99

Run 4

8 Shots, 8 Hits; 0.06 Over Par

0.74/.21/.18/.17/.18/.16/.19/.18 - 2.06

Run 5

9 Shots, 8 Hits, 0.04 Over Par

0.64/.20/.18/.17/.17/.16/.18/.17/.17 (M) - 2.04

Avg. First Shot - 0.73
    Avg. Split - 0.18
    Last edited by SamuelBLong; 03-23-2012 at 01:14 AM.
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

User Tag List