Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: body opponent bag

body opponent bag

Hey guys, has anyone used the century B.O.B, ive been thinking about getting one but i dont know how useful it would be for lower body work?

I can't say I'm particularly fond of them. Granted the examples I've used were old and had obviously been used, but I prefer the standard-shaped bags.

Site Supporter
    Take a look at the Body Action System(BAS) by Bas Rutten. I think it offers better hitting surfaces than the BOB. It allows for throwing better knees and kicks. And it folds up for storage or ease of transportation. Here is the link www.bodyactionsystem.com.

The BOB is not really useful for lower body work at all. It's okay for working precision strikes to the head and body (above the waist line). It's not good for developing power at all, so it is better as a supplement to a good heavy bag (IMO ideally a Thai style banana bag) and a double-end bag.

The BAS is probably better for working the lowlife, but even that should be a supplement to a heavy bag.

I don't like any of the ground - mounted bags - they move around a lot, even with just hand work. I can see how it could, maybe, be a useful training tool for something like an intro/ or womens self defense class - other than that, I think they're just a marketing gimmick. Just my 2c

1) Do you have any martial/boxing training?
    2) If not, would you be willing to find someone who KNOWS how to hit-not a kick-aerobic style class, typically they don't know diddly. Will you take the time to learn from someone who IS competent?
    3) What are you trying to gain here? Aerobic exercise? Sharpening striking techniques?

The BOB bag is a gimmick. When you hit that chin enough, it gets so loose that it's pointless. The point of hitting a heavy bag is to teach you correct mechanics and a cylindrical bag is the best way to show you if your alignment is correct.

If you do not know how to hit a bag correctly, you will hurt your knuckles, wrists, elbows, shoulders, and lower back. It is a very complicated chain reaction of movements generating from your feet to your knuckles and if you a) don't have training and b) don't start slow, you will injury one or all of those joints I mentioned when you hit the bag wrong.

PM me if you need some help and haven't had any formal training.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    1) Do you have any martial/boxing training?
    2) If not, would you be willing to find someone who KNOWS how to hit-not a kick-aerobic style class, typically they don't know diddly. Will you take the time to learn from someone who IS competent?
    3) What are you trying to gain here? Aerobic exercise? Sharpening striking techniques?

The BOB bag is a gimmick. When you hit that chin enough, it gets so loose that it's pointless. The point of hitting a heavy bag is to teach you correct mechanics and a cylindrical bag is the best way to show you if your alignment is correct.

If you do not know how to hit a bag correctly, you will hurt your knuckles, wrists, elbows, shoulders, and lower back. It is a very complicated chain reaction of movements generating from your feet to your knuckles and if you a) don't have training and b) don't start slow, you will injury one or all of those joints I mentioned when you hit the bag wrong.

PM me if you need some help and haven't had any formal training.
    i really appreciate taking the time to write that out, i do have the training, for someone who did not that would be very very helpful. i was mainly looking for info if anyone thought it was worthwhile, it appears they are not. thanks guys

Every example I have used showed signs of ripping and decay. They don't hold up all that well to heavy use and they are awkward for anything other than straight boxing.

One place I thought they were decent for was knife/stick training.

I will agree that a Thai bag is the best all-round bag. Good for boxing, kicking, clinch-work and elbows. Just make sure you wrap well and use good form.

Quote Originally Posted by frady2001 View Post
    Every example I have used showed signs of ripping and decay. They don't hold up all that well to heavy use and they are awkward for anything other than straight boxing.

One place I thought they were decent for was knife/stick training.

I will agree that a Thai bag is the best all-round bag. Good for boxing, kicking, clinch-work and elbows. Just make sure you wrap well and use good form.
    I disagree with the bolded part. Over the long term, wrapping your hands will leave them (your hands) relatively soft in comparison to the power you can generate which means you'll likely break them if/when you have to hit someone full-bore bare-knuckle. What's best is to work the bag bare-knuckle and start off slowly with light strikes with good form and increase your intensity as your hands and wrists grow accustomed to your workouts. Bottom line: all the power in the world is useless if your body isn't capable of withstanding the stress of applying it to your opponent's jaw.

Disclaimer: I've studied Isshin-ryu karate for 8 years with an emphasis on practical application of technique and hold a black belt with my dojo, but I'm no SouthNarc.

I (respectfully) disagree. Building calus on your knuckles will not have an impact on breaking your hand on the top of someone's head. I'm dubious about how much impact no wraps/gloves will impact bone density over using wraps.

Wrapping your hands serves a few purposes...

If you are training properly, you will be pushing yourself to failure. At this point your form goes to sh!t and this is when you are at the highest risk of injury. Wraps protect your wrists during this time. Injuries to your hands and wrists not only take you out of training for a period of time, they will come back to haunt you later on.

you can work harder with wraps. The purpose of the heavy bag isn't to strengthen your hand, it's to build muscle (arms, core, back, legs) and endurance. Your just not hitting as hard without wraps than with them and therefore not getting as much out of the bag.

For a serious bagwork session (~60 minutes or so) you are going to get tired and throw some errant punches. You are going to relax your wrist once or twice. Wraps don't stop it from hurting when it happens, they stop it from ending the session.

Kick a heavy bag without shin-guards all day long. Your'e not going to injure your shin and you will benefit from toughening that skin. The risk/reward involved with building caluses vs injuring your wrists/hands simply isn't worth it if your actually going to be punching the bag hard.

Punching a heavy bag without wraps is counter-productive and simply a terrible idea IMO. I realize that some people have done it for many years, but go to any boxing or MMA gym and watch people on the heavy bags. Good luck finding many without wraps.

If you want to toughen your hands get a makiwara, that is the correct tool for the job. If you want to build power and endurance wrap your hands and use a heavy bag, that is the correct tool for that job.

User Tag List