Thread: Shot timer for dry fire question

Shot timer for dry fire question

I bought a PACT III club timer years ago when I was even dumber than I am now. It is a club timer designed to allow stage directors to thrust a timer into the hands of a noob and have them run it properly with 10 seconds instruction. The problem with it is you cant set it to do anything other than time gun shot strings.

So I am now wiser and have started doing dry fire training in my basement. But I need something that I can set to beep and give me a certain amount of time (1.5 seconds, 7 seconds, etc) and beep again to tell me that I am slow and still suck. I dont have the money to buy a different timer yet. Is there a program anyone knows of that I can download onto my laptop and take to the basement to use as a timer? It would need to have adjustable time countdown and a delay after I tell it to start.

Thanks for the help, love the forum by the way. I have been lurking for a bit and am impressed by the dedication from the members.

You can put start and stop beeps in it if you want, just set it for Par. I don't think it will pick up dry firing, but there is an iPhone app somebody has that will get posted up shortly that will do that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemsoldier View Post
    I dont have the money to buy a different timer yet. Is there a program anyone knows of that I can download onto my laptop and take to the basement to use as a timer? It would need to have adjustable time countdown and a delay after I tell it to start.
    Here's what you are looking for (except I don't know if you can download it to your computer. But once it's loaded, it works with or without an internet connection.) It's the one titled "draw at the beep."

http://www.predatortactical.com/cart...se_detail&id=5

If only using it as a start and par time indicator the shot timer apps for smart phones might be worth a look. I use the Surefire one for my iPhone with great success.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemsoldier View Post
    I bought a PACT III club timer years ago when I was even dumber than I am now. It is a club timer designed to allow stage directors to thrust a timer into the hands of a noob and have them run it properly with 10 seconds instruction. The problem with it is you cant set it to do anything other than time gun shot strings.

So I am now wiser and have started doing dry fire training in my basement. But I need something that I can set to beep and give me a certain amount of time (1.5 seconds, 7 seconds, etc) and beep again to tell me that I am slow and still suck. I dont have the money to buy a different timer yet. Is there a program anyone knows of that I can download onto my laptop and take to the basement to use as a timer? It would need to have adjustable time countdown and a delay after I tell it to start.

Thanks for the help, love the forum by the way. I have been lurking for a bit and am impressed by the dedication from the members.
    As people have mentioned, the PACT III has a PAR function you can use. And the Surefire app works well.

Something else that is useful is the RUReady software. Unzip it, and it is a (very!) simple program that runs on your computer. Set par times, repeat functions, etc. Isn't a timer (won't pick up shots or dryfire clicks) but gives you beeps and such for practice. Useful, if your computer has decent speakers.

http://www.doublealpha.biz/Forms/RUReady.zip

(Nerd note: I had some video clips of the ROs at my club, so I pulled the audio from their range commands, and replaced the RUReady audio files with those. So when I first used the software, I actually practiced with range commands given by the ROs where I compete. Silly, but amusing. For those who don't compete---you can turn off the range commands.)

Thanks to all

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

User Tag List