Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The "comfy" gun

Random thoughts:

1.Comfy guns might not be the best self defense gun.

2. Training with one type gun and using a different gun to save one's life might have negative consequences.

3. Shooting high round counts in a short period of time such as in a class often does not equal more learning/progress.

4. I know many/most classes are high round count but talking about it in context of #3 might get us, the consumer, to accept a lower round count class with more teaching/learning.

5. There is private or semi private instructors that more tailor to #4 style.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

I'd have to go with the solid steel 1911 in 9mm. The loading of mags would probably be more work than shooting a lot, even with the uplula. I have the uplula but it still is tiring after a bunch of mags.

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    Random thoughts:

1.Comfy guns might not be the best self defense gun.

2. Training with one type gun and using a different gun to save one's life might have negative consequences.

3. Shooting high round counts in a short period of time such as in a class often does not equal more learning/progress.

4. I know many/most classes are high round count but talking about it in context of #3 might get us, the consumer, to accept a lower round count class with more teaching/learning.

5. There is private or semi private instructors that more tailor to #4 style.
    Unless you’re mandated by an entity to carry or use something specific, there are a handful of options for any given person that are accurate, durable, and reliable enough to defend oneself. In 2019 it doesn’t make sense to force yourself to use something that is uncomfortable to shoot if you don’t have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Unless you’re mandated by an entity to carry or use something specific, there are a handful of options for any given person that are accurate, durable, and reliable enough to defend oneself. In 2019 it doesn’t make sense to force yourself to use something that is uncomfortable to shoot if you don’t have to.

Maybe. If a person finds that then that's a good thing. We would agree. If a person is asking about it then obviously they haven't found that yet. But until they do or if they ever do, there are a lot of things to think about before comfy when thinking about self defense. When it comes to competition there may be a different thought process. But for self defense to choose comfy for 200-800 rounds at the expense of running the gun at it's best for 1-16 rounds and your life is on the line is not a good choice IMO.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    Maybe. If a person finds that then that's a good thing. We would agree. If a person is asking about it then obviously they haven't found that yet. But until they do or if they ever do, there are a lot of things to think about before comfy when thinking about self defense. When it comes to competition there may be a different thought process. But for self defense to choose comfy for 200-800 rounds at the expense of running the gun at it's best for 1-16 rounds and your life is on the line is not a good choice IMO.
    Just to be clear, we are talking about “comfy” within the context of a gun that’s just comfortable to shoot and all other qualities be damned including comfort of carry, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Just to be clear, we are talking about “comfy” within the context of a gun that’s just comfortable to shoot and all other qualities be damned including comfort of carry, correct?

That's what I was looking for. Just something that is easy to shoot, taking into account recoil, reloads, and manipulation of the controls. Some folks got into the "training class" thing, but that was just a "such as..." comment.

I'm just looking for what folks find comfortable to shoot, with the idea of eliminating such things as "well, a .44 Special out of a Ruger Super Blackhawk is real comfortable". I added a big round count event with the idea that, while that gun and load combo may be comfortable to shoot, running lots of rounds through something like that would be a chore loading and unloading.

It doesn't have to be at a training class, it could be you were at the end of the fiscal year and your boss told you to burn through X-number of rounds over the next couple of days, or you have a buddy that tells you he just got a bunch of ammo and want you to help him burn it up this weekend. What gun would you choose, if you had a choice of anything at all? I have no particular event in mind for all these rounds, just what you consider "comfortable".
    Last edited by JTQ; 01-25-2019 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    That's what I was looking for. Just something that is easy to shoot, taking into account recoil, reloads, and manipulation of the controls. Some folks got into the "training class" thing, but that was just a "such as..." comment.

I'm just looking for what folks find comfortable to shoot, with the idea of eliminating such things as "well, a .44 Special out of a Ruger Super Blackhawk is real comfortable". I added a big round count event with the idea that, while that gun and load combo may be comfortable to shoot, running lots of rounds through something like that would be a chore loading and unloading.

It doesn't have to be at a training class, it could be you were at the end of the fiscal year and your boss told you to burn through X-number of rounds over the next couple of days, or you have a buddy that tells you he just got a bunch of ammo and want you to help him burn it up this weekend. What gun would you choose, if you had a choice of anything at all? I have no particular event in mind for all these rounds, just what you consider "comfortable".
    That’s what I figured YOU meant. I was actually clarifying with the other dude, but I’m glad you chimed in and brought things back down to perspective.

Honestly I’d make a list of a handful of the suggestions made here that sounds good to you and go rent them. It’s gotta fit your hands with how you shoot the gun and be comfortable. The people stating that they’ve never encountered Glock Knuckle don’t have my hands because I get a raging Glock Knuckle when I shoot Glocks on a regular basis.

Site Supporter
    Px4 hands down

Site Supporter
    Glock Gen 5 19MOS or my Gen 3 17 depending if I want to shoot a RMR or iron sights. And a Mag loader of some type as after awhile the thumbs get sore. And bring more magazines than the class recommends...
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Interesting question. While the 9x19 1911 has basically no muzzle rise and is extremely accurate at speed, one is reloading the gun at least 50% and up to 70% more often than other guns. The 1911 is also harder to reload at speed due to the single-stack magazine. The 1911 is also no fun in cold weather (got reminded of that this morning) as the metal seems to suck the heat from my hands.

For me, the stock Glock 17.3 grip frame is a bit too long (in reach) for my short fingers, causing the gun to need to be shifted in my grip, so my Glock 17.3 all have grip reductions and the finger grooves removed. I add a Gadget SCD for safety. Huge plus is that Glock magazines are inexpensive and ubiquitous, so magazines dedicated to classes are not a huge expense. Same for spare guns and parts. The stock gun that fits me the best is the P30, but my versions are LEM. I am starting to have issues with fatigue during high round-count sessions, and the LEM guns are harder to shoot accurately at speed than the G17. My shooting falls apart earlier with the P30 than anything else. P30 magazines are a bit pricey, but they seem to be indestructible. Spare P30 parts are available online, but lack the online and in-store availability of Glock parts. The Glock is much easier for detailed maintenance as it comes apart with a single tool.

The LTT 92 would be a good choice as it is easy to shoot well, parts are everywhere, and magazines are cheap. About the only negative is cold-weather shooting or hot summer days without gloves. The LTT 92 is a great gun for high-round count days as the DA trigger is light and smooth. The 92 is harder to detail strip than the G17.3, especially with all of the small springs and pins Beretta uses. A spare gun makes more sense for a high-round training class than a parts kit.

So, for me, my grip-reduced G17.3 with a Gadget SCD or the LTT 92. If it has to be an off-the-shelf pistol, the LTT 92.

User Tag List