Page 51 of 61 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: pistol-training.com 2011 Endurance Test Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Since Glock is not using their ultra tough tenifer finish anymore, could this be the cause? I've read on other forums, that the steel used to make the slides is actually rather soft and that the tenifer process makes the outside of the steel hard so there are no issues. Glock is no longer using tenifer, so maybe the new process doesn't make the steel slide as hard on the exterior?

Honestly, I have no idea...just throwing out ideas.
    Glock no longer uses TENIFER?

Huh?

You gotta be kidding me? The finish that made them great, and they stopped using it?

They had to stop using Tennifer when they started making pistols in the U.S. due to EPA regulations (at least that is my understanding).

The differences between the various incarnations of salt-bath nitrocarburizing may or may not be as dramatic as the internet seems to think.

Dig this: Durferrit company history

Specifically,
    To meet the growing needs with regard to wear and corrosion resistance, as well as the enhancement of the fatigue strength, great efforts were devoted to the development and launching of the TENIFER® process, which is also known worldwide under the trade names of TUFFTRIDE® and MELONITE®. This nitrocarburizing process has undergone continuous development with regard to its regenerability and ecology, and from year-to-year the number of applications is increasing on all 5 continents.
    Elsewhere on their site, they refer to "TENIFER®*", with the * footnote saying that in English-speaking countries it is known as "TUFFTRIDE®." Go figure. Glock's and Walther's use of the term is probably the only reason anyone stateside has heard of TENIFER®.

It also goes on to explain that there are cyanide-free salts for the TENIFER® process. So I think the issue is not specific to the cyanide issue alone...

Some further digging indicates that Durferrit is a division of HEF, which also operates here in the States. Link Interestingly enough, HEF-USA only lists MELONITE® on their page, not TENIFER® or TUFFTRIDE®. Again, go figure.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this erosion issue, if it is a materials issue, is related to QA/QC failures and/or manufacturing inconsistencies ("bad batches") rather than changes in technical processes.

ETA: I forgot to address what I originally came into post...
    Todd, What's this? A crack? Debris?
    Name:  G17-breechface-damage2.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  59.4 KB
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 06-01-2012 at 05:11 PM.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Well I'll just shoot them till they fall apart, then buy an hk, in 10 years.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Todd, What's this? A crack? Debris?
    Name:  G17-breechface-damage2.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  59.4 KB
    Just debris from what I could tell when I checked right now.

Any thought that the combination of ammunition type and extended cleaning intervals could be a factor?

We are diminished
    I doubt it. That damage isn't caused by debris. Metal was removed.

I'm just still surprised that no one has mentioned that the upside down breech face is a dead ringer for a silhouette target
    I train to be better than I was yesterday. -F2S

We are diminished
    The pistol experienced a failure to cycle on Monday right near the end of my practice session. The casehead got stuck just below the firing pin hole on the breechface. I'm unsure at this point whether it is related to the damage on the breechface but that is an obvious possibility. Tomorrow night I'll be putting a significant number of rounds through the gun and if the problem repeats I may have to deadline the gun for evaluation by Glock earlier than I'd hoped.

I don't know if anyone has talked to you about your grip, but limpwristing....... Obviously.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

User Tag List