Page 19 of 61 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: pistol-training.com 2011 Endurance Test Gun

The SLB thing worked fine on several other guns that I have tried it on. I guess that doesn't mean it will work on all of them, especially if there are issues with parts being too big/rough/whatever.

I hope this doesn't mean the rumors that I have heard about Glock sending the small parts out for bid to other countries is true. Keeping the price of the gun the same is an admirable goal, but doing so at the expense of reliability is a bad idea.

At any rate, the finish on the newer guns and parts is not nearly as nice as it used to be, so I wouldn't be shocked to learn Glock had cut corners elsewhere as well.

Good to hear it may be a simple problem though. If this is a batch of out of spec extractors, that's an easy fix. Seeing those pics made me dead sure it was an extractor/extraction issue.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 03-21-2011 at 12:02 AM.

I heard Apex would be making an aftermarket Glock extractor.

(I heard this from the voices in my head)
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Todd, in the back of my mind I'm wondering if since you've switched to the earlier non-LCI extractor if you also need to concurrently need to switch out your OEM spring loaded bearing for the older spring-loaded bearing for a non-LCI extractor (the older spring-loaded bearing's Glock part number is SO01176) to ensure continued extraction reliability with the non-LCI extractor?

Best, Jon

We are diminished
    Jon -- When I switched the extractor, I switched the entire extractor assembly including the SLB.

Are the Gen 4 LCI Extractors different than the LCI Extractors that were on some Gen 3 guns? My G19 has an LCI, and I have never had an issue with it (I have had it for several years).

I'm guessing so John.

When we gave up on the G22 in 2006 and went with the G17 we got LCI extractors on all those guns.

While testing a new frame style gen 3 G17 back then I put 5700 rounds through the gun in one day, no issues.

We have 325-ish shooters, issue G17s and G19s, and the G26 is our most carried BUG/off-duty gun. I have never seen an issue with any of them.

I currently have 6 3rd gen 9mms, I have had exactly one gun related stoppage (a few others with out of spec ammo, which I don't count) and that was with my duty G17 that was also tested very heavily in 2006 and shot quite a bit ever since.

I had well over 15,000 rounds through that gun when I got a malf similar to the in-line stovepipe (not sure what else to call it) in Todd's pics.
    I installed a new spring and SLB in that gun and did not have any other issues.

By that time the extractor spring had gotten rather weak, my bad for not checking it prior due to the high round count on that gun.

You had no issues with LCI guns back a few years ago, but I have had no issues with four Gen 4 9mm's (12.5K rds now) and many others haven't either. Yet some very recent (2010) Gen 3 buyers have reported the same problems and fixed them by switching to older extractors too.
    It's not going to be a blanket LCI answer I don't think. Someone noted the possibility of just QC over the various batches/lots of them. And the tolerances/room for error may be that much less forgiving in Gen 4's as Todd noted on his blog.

Something like this makes most sense to me. It would explain how the new gun would pass through Glock internal trails to get to market, excel in ATF trials, impress so many Gen 4 owners but create nagging problems for a substantial number of other users.

Not altogether unlike M&P dead trigger issues. Todd's M&P didn't, mine did.

Well, the pistol is not running right still. I just helped Todd put some rounds through it. It did not malfunction for me, even with strong hand only shooting from my gunshot (and therefore damaged) arm. Same malfunctions as before.
    #RESIST

Hello, my first post here. I've been watching this thread grow and I felt obligated to post my experience as well.

Currently I have two Glock 19s- a gen 4 and gen 3. Both have performed extremely well. The gen 3 has over 5000 rounds with no notable issues and the Gen 4 is at 1700 with no malfunctions since the first magazine(a 180 degree stovepipe). On saturday I put 520 rounds of Brown Bear through the Gen4 with zero malfunctions.

I just disassembled both pistols to check the extractors. Both have the loaded chamber indicator but the Gen4 has a "2" on the face where the spring/bearing press on the extractor. The Gen4 also has the "scalloped" cut on the top face.

One thing I noticed instantly was that the Gen4 extractor was much more difficult to remove. Upon removal I noticed a significant amount of wear on both the top and bottom faces of the extractor- far more than my Gen3 which has much more use. I measured the thickness of both parts and the Gen4 is ~0.005" thicker. The slot in the slides both measured exactly the same.

It certainly appears as though my extractor started out "rough" with so many silver edges and spots on it.

Perhaps anyone having issues can try lightly smoothing the top and bottom surfaces with a fine file.

And FWIW, this is one of the first guys I came across that pointed at the extractors - when he encountered extraction issues with a new Gen 3 last year. See post #237 from kjdoski.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....469#post872469

User Tag List