Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: M855A1 article [GRAPHIC - NSFW]

Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Thanks doc.

It sounds like right now the SOST round is the better choice, even maybe for the GP carbine discussed in the other thread.

A bonded SOST round (TOTM--see p.12 in the link above) is by far the optimal solution in any rifle caliber.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Every time I see that presentation - I wonder why 6.8 was abandoned. I saw something about poor performance in initial DOD tests but hasn't those issued been addressed. I built a 16 inch and a 1.5 inch AR top ends based on that presentation and I have been pleased with their performance on the range (I have no "real world" experience with 6.8).

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Every time I see that presentation - I wonder why 6.8 was abandoned. I saw something about poor performance in initial DOD tests but hasn't those issued been addressed. I built a 16 inch and a 1.5 inch AR top ends based on that presentation and I have been pleased with their performance on the range (I have no "real world" experience with 6.8).
    Not invented here, maybe? If the JSOC units had migrated to 6.8, my guess is that it might have become the round of choice for most of the special operations forces and perhaps spread to big Army. But the JSOC units didn't go there. Maybe someone here knows more about that.

Site Supporter
    It looks like there will be a required report on enhanced 5.56 rounds. This is from the NDAA that has already passed the House:

(a) Report.—Not later than March 1, 2016, the Secretary of Defense shall submit to the congressional defense committees a report on the use in combat of two different types of enhanced 5.56 mm ammunition by the Army and the Marine Corps.

(b) Elements.—The report under subsection (a) shall include the following:

(1) An explanation of the reasons for the Army and the Marine Corps to use in combat two different types of enhanced 5.56 mm ammunition.

(2) An explanation of the appropriateness, effectiveness, and suitability issues that may arise from the use of such different types of ammunition.

(3) An explanation of any additional costs that have resulted from the use of such different types of ammunition.

(4) An explanation of any future plans of the Army or the Marine Corps to eventually transition to using in combat one standard type of enhanced 5.56 mm ammunition.

(5) If there are no plans described in paragraph (4), an analysis of the potential benefits of a transition described in such paragraph, including the timeline for such a transition to occur.

(6) Any other matters the Secretary determines appropriate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

User Tag List