Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ready Positions

I won't argue with the speed questions. My choice of ready is usually however dictated by tactical situation. High ready for tubular environments, Sul for stacking and moving between threat - non threat areas. I also have used a modified sul quite a bit, where the support hand is used not only as pivot to firing grip but as concealment to keep the bulk of the slide and upper frame from casual view. Useful for discreet entry, crowd scenarios, and vehicle egress in open view - scares the locals less.

Site Supporter
    Where exactly is the pistol in the "transition position?" I've timed myself a number of times from low ready and eye-target-front sight ready and I don't notice a significant speed difference, especially with smaller targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I'm not following this. Extended ready was described as gun at full extension, depressed enough to point at the ground in front of the potential target. If the gun is depressed that much, how is sight alignment confirmed already? I am missing something here.
    Sight alignment as opposed to sight picture.

In other words, a correct low extended ready position has the gun aligned with the hands properly such that the rear sight is already in alignment with the front sight. All that remains is to lift the hands to bring that (already set) sight alignment up until it is superimposed on the target with the correct sight picture.

All of the other ready positions have the sight alignment off (there isn't a direct line from your eye through the rear sight to the front sight)---so it adds one more thing that needs to be done before the shot can be taken.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Where exactly is the pistol in the "transition position?" I've timed myself a number of times from low ready and eye-target-front sight ready and I don't notice a significant speed difference, especially with smaller targets.
    Pistol at approximately pec level, bore parallel to the ground, front and rear sights underneath the eye-target line.
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

User Tag List