Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap ass scope for a .308

Cheap ass scope for a .308

Girlfriend has a .308 bolt gun that's not getting much use due to only having iron sights. I have a few grand in upcoming bills that take care of any "extra" funds I might otherwise have. Still, Christmas is coming and following the principle that any glass is better than no glass, as long as it works, I've been looking at bottom dollar scopes.

Does anyone have any experience with Nikon P-Tactical 3-9x40 scopes? On paper they seem to offer a whole lot of bang for the buck. Nikon glass is often claimed to be very good and that scope is available with an MRAD reticle.

Plan B would be a Bushnell 2-7 or 3-9, but they seem to only be available with plain old crosshairs or at best a BDC reticle - not quite as useful as a proper MRAD reticle.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Girlfriend has a .308 bolt gun that's not getting much use due to only having iron sights. I have a few grand in upcoming bills that take care of any "extra" funds I might otherwise have. Still, Christmas is coming and following the principle that any glass is better than no glass, as long as it works, I've been looking at bottom dollar scopes.

Does anyone have any experience with Nikon P-Tactical 3-9x40 scopes? On paper they seem to offer a whole lot of bang for the buck. Nikon glass is often claimed to be very good and that scope is available with an MRAD reticle.

Plan B would be a Bushnell 2-7 or 3-9, but they seem to only be available with plain old crosshairs or at best a BDC reticle - not quite as useful as a proper MRAD reticle.
    Check out SWFA Black Friday sale. Their SWFA SS scopes are very good and not very expensive especially with the sale prices effective Friday.

https://www.swfa.com/blackfriday2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

JM beat me to it. This is good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    Check out SWFA Black Friday sale. Their SWFA SS scopes are very good and not very expensive especially with the sale prices effective Friday.

https://www.swfa.com/blackfriday2018

Quote Originally Posted by https://www.swfa.com/exportpolicy
    SWFA, Inc. is now authorized to export to the Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United Kingdom only.
    Unfortunately doesn't seem I can buy anything from them.

(Besides, I won't have any money before December. A day late and a dollar short for any Black Friday sales... )

Site Supporter
    I don't have the specific Nikon scope you mention, but I have one of their 2-7x ProStaff scopes on my muzzleloader. Except for the BDC reticle, which I hate, it's a fine scope. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another for any of my rifles if the price were right as long as it didn't have that damn BDC reticle.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Primary Arms 4-14 with mil dot. Should be about 230. Functional. Yes, I have them. Have used them to 800 yards dialing on 308 and 6.5 Grendel.

Site Supporter
    Do a search on Midway for blemished Leupold. In particular, if illumination is not a requirement, their Rifleman line can sometimes be obtained quite inexpensively, and has some incredible light gathering ability.

I have had good experience with Bushnell scopes.

Tasco is quite inexpensive, and seems to perform above its price point.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I had a Nikon Buckmaster on a Savage .308. It did what it was supposed to do. Not much more to say about it, so I guess no review is a good review.

I’d go with a good fixed-power scope before I’d go with a low-end variable.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I’d go with a good fixed-power scope before I’d go with a low-end variable.

Okie John

Very solid advice.

A fixed 10X would make a lot of sense.

User Tag List