Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help picking out a pistol for my wife

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyLikesIt View Post
    Do a Google search... there's lots of reviews out there.

My limited personal experience with the Kahr CM9 has been positive(about 800 rds so far). It has a long trigger pull and reset but is very smooth. Much better than my Ruger LCP. However, we still prefer the Glock trigger. Being small and light it has some snap but is not extreme. I would say slightly more than the G19. My wife is tiny and she has no problem with the recoil, but, as stated earlier, she does have a problem racking the slide. I would consider it to be very accurate at the range but I seem to be able to shoot the Glock, at speed, better than the Kahr, due to the longer trigger pull, it is small in my hands, and has slightly more recoil... my wife seems to shoot both about the same. It has been 100% reliable so far.
    When we find her "perfect" carry gun, then the Kahr will replace the Ruger LCP as my pocket gun as it is only slightly bigger. (I usually carry the LCP in my pocket and my G19 AIWB) Overall, I would say it is a great pocket gun... however, if your wife is going to carry primarily in her purse, where size may not be quite as important, then I would certainly consider some of the other models that have been mentioned in this thread. Just be sure and have her rack the slide several times before you shell out the bucks... it is stiff.

Mikey
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    1911 with slim grips and a short trigger.
    This is exactly what my wife carries but I don't recommend it for everybody. Full load 45ACP can be hard for the ladies to control, not to mention cost. I load my wifes practice ammo a little on the lighter side so if you don't reload then you may want to reconsider this option.

She has shot my Kahr K9 and likes it but feels more confident with the 1911. The M&P9c seems to be popular with the ladies around here.

Whatever you do, let her make the final decision after trying out several guns.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Bersa .380. Looks like a Walther PPk. Has some weight to it to tame recoil. The trigger is so much better than the Walthers in double action. Is very affordable. Look at all the positive reviews. I love mine.

Get an M&P. It will function just like your glock and with the small grip insert it should be comfortable for those of dainty palm. (my darling mother loves the M&P, and her hands are pretty damn tiny)

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Full load 45ACP can be hard for the ladies to control,
    -- as well as many members of this forum, of both genders. I kid because I wore a super out of the house this morning. To expand on my suggestion: a steel 1911 is a lot of gun. Lightweight commanders are a seductive delight. LWCs in .45 are to very easy to shoot well at first. 9mm (a short cartridge, let's call it) in a long action pistol is to be avoided. However, the 1911 really does work uniquely well for people with small hands when properly configured -- markedly better than any double stack I'm conscious of except for a very expensive full-blown high power (like my ex wife now owns, insert your own emoticon). Therefore, I would recommend in all seriousness a .38 super LWC. If you live near KC I'd be happy to let her shoot mine.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    She has shot my Kahr K9 and likes it but feels more confident with the 1911.
    -- I like the kahr series as well but would stick with the steel full size guns (like the k9). The plastic ones hop around a little.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Banned
    look at revolvers like a lady smith and Wesson, they are designed for smaller hands.
    Revolvers are more user friendly then autos

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Revolvers are more user friendly then autos
    How so?

Sent from my ADR6400L

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    How so?

Sent from my ADR6400L
    no FTF
    no jams
    no finiky ammo
    no primmer duds
    you pull the trigger and it goes off and if it don't the next one should and if it don't the next one should

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    no FTF
    no jams
    no finiky ammo
    no primmer duds
    you pull the trigger and it goes off and if it don't the next one should and if it don't the next one should
    You could just buy a 9 mm P30...

Sent from my ADR6400L

Banned
    something to keep in mind is that revolvers have a lot more choices in grips for small hands that could help

User Tag List