Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help picking out a pistol for my wife

Need help picking out a pistol for my wife

Hey Guys and gals,

I just joined up here. I got pointed this way by a good friend of mine.

My question is what pistol can you all recommend for my wife? She has very small hands. For example, on my Glock 19, her finger will just reach the side of the trigger. I have tried the Ruger LC9 and she could not reach the trigger on that either. My friend, who told me to check out the forum, told me that we should try looking at some of the Kahr pistols. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance
    Matt

Welcome!

Is your G19 a 3rd gen or 4th?

Have you tried / looked at any of these?

- HK P30 with the small inserts
    - S+W M&P with the small insert
    - anything made by Khar
    Last edited by SamuelBLong; 03-03-2012 at 10:57 AM.
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

M&P9c, Sig P239, Sig P225, Sig P229 w/E2 grip, Walther P99c, and the Kahr's would be good choices. I have concerns about the Kahr's quality recently. It seems the only ones that really hold up are the steel framed versions and they are pricey.

1911 with slim grips and a short trigger.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Also try Walther PPS.

Any P or K series 9mm in the Kahr pistols has about a 2.25" trigger to back-strap reach. I am not sure of the CW series, but I think they use the same frame as the P series. (If she happens to be recoil sensitive, then the K series would be best because of the all steel frame.) This is shorter than the Ruger LC9 reach. It is also shorter than a S&W J frame reach.

Kimber Solo has a really short trigger to back-strap reach also.

Good luck.

My wife also has tiny hands with a touch of arthritis. We have a G19 gen 3, a Kahr CM9, and a Ruger LCP .380. She likes the fit of the Kahr but it has a very stiff spring which makes it almost impossible for her to rack the slide. At the range she prefers my G19 for that reason (and she can shoot it well). It would be worth checking out the Kahr to see if your wife can rack the slide easily enough. My wife hates the LCP because of the extreme trigger pull.

My niece brought her new Walther PK 380 to the range a few days ago and my wife loved it. She said it felt like it was made just for her and it was by far the easiest to manipulate. Right now, the wife is trying to decide between a G26 gen 4 or the Walther. (I vote G26 but my vote often gets vetoed)

If you find a handgun that your wife really likes, let us know, as our search continues.

Mikey

I'm going through the same thing with a family member. Today we went to the range and shot a Ruger LCR, Kahr P9 and a Beretta PX4. The Beretta worked out very well as did the Kahr. I think the Beretta was just a tad thick and would have to agree with earlier posters the PPS has some real potential.
    The LCR was a no go. Too light and bruised her hand.

Thanks for all the info! My G19 is the Gen3.
    I had a Walther p99c as. I sold it to get the 19. She could reach the the trigger on it when the trigger was set at the reset position. It was a .40 and too snappy though. I think I may check into the Kahr CM9. Does anyone have any reviews on this model?
    Mikey: I will let you know if we find anything.

This is a great forum so far! Glad I joined up.

Quote Originally Posted by mlglock52 View Post
    ... I think I may check into the Kahr CM9. Does anyone have any reviews on this model? ...
    Do a Google search... there's lots of reviews out there.

My limited personal experience with the Kahr CM9 has been positive(about 800 rds so far). It has a long trigger pull and reset but is very smooth. Much better than my Ruger LCP. However, we still prefer the Glock trigger. Being small and light it has some snap but is not extreme. I would say slightly more than the G19. My wife is tiny and she has no problem with the recoil, but, as stated earlier, she does have a problem racking the slide. I would consider it to be very accurate at the range but I seem to be able to shoot the Glock, at speed, better than the Kahr, due to the longer trigger pull, it is small in my hands, and has slightly more recoil... my wife seems to shoot both about the same. It has been 100% reliable so far.
    When we find her "perfect" carry gun, then the Kahr will replace the Ruger LCP as my pocket gun as it is only slightly bigger. (I usually carry the LCP in my pocket and my G19 AIWB) Overall, I would say it is a great pocket gun... however, if your wife is going to carry primarily in her purse, where size may not be quite as important, then I would certainly consider some of the other models that have been mentioned in this thread. Just be sure and have her rack the slide several times before you shell out the bucks... it is stiff.

Mikey

User Tag List