Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Line in the Sand

Your Line in the Sand

As everyone here knows, carrying a pistol for self defense carries with it grave responsibility. Choices you make with that weapon can and will change your life and the life of those involved with your decision forever. That being said, does everyone have a clearly drawn line that they will not cross when it comes to implementing deadly force into self defense?

Laws varies from state to state, and it is YOUR responsibility to know them, but scenarios such as third party victims, carjacking, home invasion, robbery in a public setting and other things should be played through in your mind long before you ever encounter them.

In my home state of TN, I am perfectly entitled to use deadly force on a car jacker, but in most cases I will not. It is simply so much easier to mash the gas and drive away. In that situation my safety lies in putting as much distance between me and the BG. Now, obviously if I am unable to drive because of traffic or not actually being in the vehicle at the time, I would act appropiately.

Another possible situation and one that we are likely to encounter at some point, is that of the defense of a third party victim. Again, in TN, deadly force is justified in the defense of another. But ask yourself this, are you willing to risk your life, freedom, and reputation in the defense of a complete stranger when you may not even know the details involved in the situation? The person you kill, who you thought was the BG, may infact be the victim! I have made a personal choice not to use deadly force in the defense of a third party. In today's litigious society, it just does not make sense to me. My choice stems partly from the fact that every single law abiding citizen in the state of TN has the privelige of obtaing an HCP and carrying a weapon. If someone is not enlighted enough to realize that safety and self defense are a personal responsibility and not the LEO's than I do not feel I should be responsble for them. I am sure many will disagree, but that is my stance and I will adhere to it.

Obviously one cannot think out every possible scenario, but you can establish an unmovable line that coordinates with commonly encountered threats and train according to it. While something is going down is not the time to establish your personal views on the situation.

Site Supporter
    "Every plan is good until the first shot is fired."... attributed to Erwin Rommel
    "Plans are of little importance, but planning is essential.".... Winston Churchill
    "Plans are nothing; planning is everything.".... Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."... Mike Tyson
    "There but for the grace of God (go I)".... John Bradford
    "You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything"... song by Aaron Tippin

"Have a plan, but don't be a slave to it."... RoyGBiv

So you witness a third party carjacking. Tweaker with a gun pulls a lady out of her car and tries to take off with a baby in the back seat.
    You're directly behind the event, next in line at the light. 15 feet difference in place and time and it would be you.

Your plan is to do nothing. It was her responsibility to bring a gun to the fight.
    I hope your plan is flexible. Especially if it was my wife and kids.

At what point does being a citizen, a member of the "Village", compel you to act?
    When you read about the body of that baby being discovered in a ditch, will you ever be able look at your own children the same way again?

I'm not saying I would do anything except be a good witness in this situation either, too many details missing from the scenario.... But part of planning should also be planning for contingencies and aftermath. Don't be a slave to your plan, or any one part of your plan. Life's a bitch that way.
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 03-02-2012 at 09:27 AM.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    My plan is to use the least amount of force necessary to protect myself and family from harm.

As a general rule I don't have a desire to get involved in somebody else's problem. Now there are certainly some things I simply will not allow to happen in my presence, but they tend to be fairly high up on the scale of bad-guy behavior. I mean, if someone wants to behead a toddler in front of me, we're going to have a problem. If I see two idiots who are spinning themselves into a swirling torrent of stupidity, I'm not about to involve myself because stupid people cannot be convinced to do anything but be themselves.

Having a gun doesn't confer upon me any duty or authority (or, frankly, ability) to right the world's wrongs. It's just a tool you break out when there's a compelling need to make the most obnoxious members of the human race knock it off, already...primarily because you or someone you love are the target of their obnoxious behavior.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 03-02-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Your plan and my plan are about the same, do anything to protect loved ones. When it comes to third party, I like to think I will be like you and get the heck out of dodge. However with that said I honestly do not know if I will be able to turn the other cheek and then live with myself knowing I could have tried to do something to help a victim. So I quess I am not a slave to my plan of looking the other way. I know some hate the what if scenarios, I however like them as it keeps one thinking. I quess what I am saying is, I know where I think I will draw the line in the sand when it comes to family and friends ( I say think because every scenario will be different) When it comes to third party I dont have a clue, I wonder how the family would react to lossing the house to pay for legal fees or me getting killed (if that would be the case what happened after that would not effect me personally) but what if I got severly hurt and disabled now the family will be affected for the rest of your life. I play out the what if scenario in my head all the time and I do think it will help if the time ever comes but until it happens we can only quess what we will do. Very good thread I will be watching this one.

[/QUOTE]So you witness a third party carjacking. Tweaker with a gun pulls a lady out of her car and tries to take off with a baby in the back seat.
    You're directly behind the event, next in line at the light. 15 feet difference in place and time and it would be you.

Your plan is to do nothing. It was her responsibility to bring a gun to the fight.
    I hope your plan is flexible. Especially if it was my wife and kids.

At what point does being a citizen, a member of the "Village", compel you to act?
    When you read about the body of that baby being discovered in a ditch, will you ever be able look at your own children the same way again?

I'm not saying I would do anything except be a good witness in this situation either, too many details missing from the scenario.... But part of planning should also be planning for contingencies and aftermath. Don't be a slave to your plan, or any one part of your plan. Life's a bitch that way.[/QUOTE]

See, in that situation, you don't know all the details. The women could easily be the kidnapper and the guy with the gun the dad whose child was just stolen as a result of a bitter custody battle. Bottom line, you don't know. I am just saying that you should have a stance developed and stick to it. My point is that you should not wait until something happens before you decide how you feel about it. Of course you have to be flexible and the situation always dictates action. My primary focus is my and my family's safety. I am referring to the use of deadly force here. If someone collapsed or was in a car accident I would certainly stop and assist them. People have a right and duty to decide for themselves. If they choose to ignore the need to defend themselves I pity them, but I will not compromise myself or my family because of their stupidity.

I say all of this only because a few years ago I was involved in a 3rd party situation and actually had to draw down on a guy to deescalate things until LE showed up. I was cleared completely in the incident, but after I got home I started playing the scenario over and over in my mind and I quickly saw just how easlily I could have ruined my entire life by acting on a complete stranger's behalf.

A little long winded, but pertinent.

Been there regarding third party folks. Not a fun situation. All in all, I got lucky and the Trooper told me as such in very colorful words.

My brother and I came up on a stop light right after we'd been shooting at a range with the really cool video range, but anyways... There were about five cars ahead of us and it appeared there was a wreck or something going on in the intersection. People were skirting by as the lights changed until we got up near the front. We could hear someone yelling and figured it was just some pissed off motorist. I rolled down my window to see what the mess was all about.

At that time, it became very clear that this wasn't your every day fender bender. There was a mini van at 45 degrees in the middle to far side of the intersection. Ok, no big deal, except for the skinny dude with one of those 45 degree lug nut wrenches working over the windshield and hood of the mini van. At this point, I was fairly new to carrying a gun (approx 2 years) and may have had delusions of grandeur that would make Greedo back away.

I could see the woman in the van and she was definitely frightened. I told my brother to get on the phone (huuuuuge bag phone back then) and to call it in and to especially let them know what I'm wearing and that I am a permit holder and armed. I got out of the car, after pleading from my brother to "just drive on", and yelled at the guy to stop. Figuring at the distance he was at, I could simply jump back in and drive off. Right up until I saw the baby seat in the back. Couldn't tell at that point if there was a baby in it, but that isn't what was really going through my mind. He didn't hear a word I was saying. I repeated for him to stop several times and still nothing. He started to move towards the driver side window and at that point I escalated my words to include those of which cannot be said on this forum. He heard that fo sho!

All this time, I've got my hand near my gun right until he turned towards me (saying a few choice words, some of which were I'll kill you too M'r F'r). I put my hand on the gun and he was approximately 35-40 feet away. He started closing distance but not very fast. I drew the gun to low ready while telling him to drop it/stop it. He didn't even see it. He was target locked on my eyes and honestly, I was a bit locked on to his as well. When he got a bit closer, probably 20 feet (waaaaay too close for comfort) I raised the gun while still barking at him to stop. Flicked the safety off and put my finger on the trigger. At this point, he saw the gun and things changed dramatically. He dropped the lug wrench and went to his knees. No shots fired, thank God.

Ok, on to the question at hand... 20-21 feet, in my opinion is waaaay too close for comfort. I know that's the Teuller drill distance, but in the real deal, that feels like they're breathing down your neck! So, if you can see the threat, and it doesn't involve a projectile firing device, I'd say that it comes in stages. I think it worked out pretty well in this case, but if it did involve a gun, I'd have been toast.

All that being said, involving ones self in a third party incident has been bumped way down on my list... right next to fight a polar bear and a brown bear at the same time. The responding officers did their jobs well. I followed commands and ended up in the back of a patrol car. On par with what I would have expected. They took their statements, checked out the scene and came to talk to me. The trooper that hooked me up and put me in his car said something that has stuck with me all this time.

He said "You know what? You're a lucky Son of a B***h! Her story of what happened matches your story, and let me tell you bub, that never happens!"

Yup, I involved myself in a domestic situation and 9 times out of 10 they still side with their abuser and go running back to them in the end. I was about 4-5 lbs of pressure away from changing my life forever and thank God that it didn't come to that AND thank God that that woman was ready to get out of that abusive relationship or it would have STILL been a very very bad day for me.

As far as drawing a line in the sand... well, I'd hope that others would come to my aide in a time of need, but I really can't blame them if they don't. I know that I'd have a much harder time in the same situation today.

I also think as I said earlier, that line moves depending on the threat. Non-gun threat, stages. Gun threat, sky's the limit if they're looking my way because bullets don't know or care about Teuller.

I have things in my head and in my hands that not many in the general public have. I have cultivated these attributes for decades. I will wade in on behalf of the weak/victim/prey. I was raised by Roy Henning Carlson. To do less would be a disgrace to everything he stood for. That is not going to happen. Standing by is not going to be my contribution to the world or the example I set to my sons. Some things aren't for sale.

I have interceded on behalf of innocent 3rd parties who were or were about to be preyed upon. These things worked out well; no shots ever fired. This has never involved interceding on domestic incidents where it looked rough but not deadly. Those incidents were relayed to LE. Judgement is important and it is a very good filter. There is no room for sloppy judgement.

Great topic for a thread. These are the 1st principle foundational issues.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    A little long winded, but pertinent.

Been there regarding third party folks. Not a fun situation. All in all, I got lucky and the Trooper told me as such in very colorful words.

My brother and I came up on a stop light right after we'd been shooting at a range with the really cool video range, but anyways... There were about five cars ahead of us and it appeared there was a wreck or something going on in the intersection. People were skirting by as the lights changed until we got up near the front. We could hear someone yelling and figured it was just some pissed off motorist. I rolled down my window to see what the mess was all about.

At that time, it became very clear that this wasn't your every day fender bender. There was a mini van at 45 degrees in the middle to far side of the intersection. Ok, no big deal, except for the skinny dude with one of those 45 degree lug nut wrenches working over the windshield and hood of the mini van. At this point, I was fairly new to carrying a gun (approx 2 years) and may have had delusions of grandeur that would make Greedo back away.

I could see the woman in the van and she was definitely frightened. I told my brother to get on the phone (huuuuuge bag phone back then) and to call it in and to especially let them know what I'm wearing and that I am a permit holder and armed. I got out of the car, after pleading from my brother to "just drive on", and yelled at the guy to stop. Figuring at the distance he was at, I could simply jump back in and drive off. Right up until I saw the baby seat in the back. Couldn't tell at that point if there was a baby in it, but that isn't what was really going through my mind. He didn't hear a word I was saying. I repeated for him to stop several times and still nothing. He started to move towards the driver side window and at that point I escalated my words to include those of which cannot be said on this forum. He heard that fo sho!

All this time, I've got my hand near my gun right until he turned towards me (saying a few choice words, some of which were I'll kill you too M'r F'r). I put my hand on the gun and he was approximately 35-40 feet away. He started closing distance but not very fast. I drew the gun to low ready while telling him to drop it/stop it. He didn't even see it. He was target locked on my eyes and honestly, I was a bit locked on to his as well. When he got a bit closer, probably 20 feet (waaaaay too close for comfort) I raised the gun while still barking at him to stop. Flicked the safety off and put my finger on the trigger. At this point, he saw the gun and things changed dramatically. He dropped the lug wrench and went to his knees. No shots fired, thank God.

Ok, on to the question at hand... 20-21 feet, in my opinion is waaaay too close for comfort. I know that's the Teuller drill distance, but in the real deal, that feels like they're breathing down your neck! So, if you can see the threat, and it doesn't involve a projectile firing device, I'd say that it comes in stages. I think it worked out pretty well in this case, but if it did involve a gun, I'd have been toast.

All that being said, involving ones self in a third party incident has been bumped way down on my list... right next to fight a polar bear and a brown bear at the same time. The responding officers did their jobs well. I followed commands and ended up in the back of a patrol car. On par with what I would have expected. They took their statements, checked out the scene and came to talk to me. The trooper that hooked me up and put me in his car said something that has stuck with me all this time.

He said "You know what? You're a lucky Son of a B***h! Her story of what happened matches your story, and let me tell you bub, that never happens!"

Yup, I involved myself in a domestic situation and 9 times out of 10 they still side with their abuser and go running back to them in the end. I was about 4-5 lbs of pressure away from changing my life forever and thank God that it didn't come to that AND thank God that that woman was ready to get out of that abusive relationship or it would have STILL been a very very bad day for me.

As far as drawing a line in the sand... well, I'd hope that others would come to my aide in a time of need, but I really can't blame them if they don't. I know that I'd have a much harder time in the same situation today.

I also think as I said earlier, that line moves depending on the threat. Non-gun threat, stages. Gun threat, sky's the limit if they're looking my way because bullets don't know or care about Teuller.
    How would you rate your life if you drove on by and he beat her brains in with that tire iron and did God knows what with the infant? Well done. The HELL with what the Trooper said. You stood up as an old school Man of courage and honor. That is a test, and you passed. How much $$$ is that worth?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    How would you rate your life if you drove on by and he beat her brains in with that tire iron and did God knows what with the infant? Well done. The HELL with what the Trooper said. You stood up as an old school Man of courage and honor. That is a test, and you passed. How much $$$ is that worth?
    How would he feel if he squeezed the trigger and the lady sided with her abuser and he got life in prison. Now his child if he has one will grow up without a father. Unfortunately, life is not as simple as doing the percieved right thing. "Right" is too subjective. Once again, that woman made a choice not to prepare for the defense of herself or her child. We must live with the choices we make and their consequences. I would love to live in a world where we could all be honorable and do what is right towards one another, but that just ain't ever gonna happen. At a certain point, self preservation comes to mind. Now keep in mind, the entire focus of this discussion is use of deadly force. We are not talking about helping someone in need or distress.

User Tag List