Page 92 of 807 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192592 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting incidents in the news.

Quote Originally Posted by linkscoach View Post
    To add as far as I know even the "law enforcement professionals" aren't authorized to carry concealed on post. MP's and the like check in their side arms at the end of every shift. If this has changed someone please straighten me out.
    When I was in, MPs (with the exception of CID agents, who hold actual 1811 creds) also didn't have any arrest powers off duty or even any actual LE credentials to begin with....so I wouldn't have expected them to have power to carry off duty anyway, as their official status is not much different from a Wackenhut armed guard like you may see at a secured corporate/industrial building or bank.

Ditto the civilian police, though I understand some at few posts may have actual LE creds.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    When I was in, MPs (with the exception of CID agents, who hold actual 1811 creds) also didn't have any arrest powers off duty or even any actual LE credentials to begin with....so I wouldn't have expected them to have power to carry off duty anyway, as their official status is not much different from a Wackenhut armed guard like you may see at a secured corporate/industrial building or bank.

Ditto the civilian police, though I understand some at few posts may have actual LE creds.
    DOD cops are Federal LEOs, but the one I spoke with at Campbell told me that they were not allowed to CCW off-duty on base. IIRC, even an 1811 type like an FBI agent who wasn't in the performance of his duties was not allowed.....but anyone could take guns to/from the range on base, as long as you didn't stop along the way. Mind boggling, I say.

I was visiting my son and carrying under LEOSA. They were kind enough to let me go to the police ops building and let me secure my sidearm in a lock-box.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Sweartagawd I heard ADM Mullen say something along the lines of "arms have no place on a military base" on Meet the Press Sunday. Can't be certain though, because it was hard to hear the TV over me yelling. It'll be another two months before the transcript is on the website, and I am hoping I was wrong.

The ghost of Patton did not slap the ADM right there on live TV, so maybe I misheard.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Where else in history has it been more important to have reflective belts than a personal weapon. It's a sad state of affairs where members of the MILITARY (you know....the folks tasked with destroying our enemies) are treated like children in pre school. We are doomed.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Maybe this needs it's own thread?

Story: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...d-given-right/

Letter is not directly from above link.

To my friends, fellow Texans, brothers in arms, members of the committee, and everyone within the sound of my voice, greetings.

My name is First Lieutenant Patrick Cook of the 49th Transportation Battalion, Fort Hood, Texas, and this past Wednesday I found myself trapped in an enclosed room with fourteen of my fellow Soldiers, one of whom was barricading the door against a madman with a .45 pistol when he was fatally shot. Through what I can only describe as a miracle, he somehow found enough strength to continue pushing against that door until the shooter gave up and went elsewhere, at which time he collapsed. Nearly a week later, I can still taste his blood in my mouth from when I and my comrades breathed into his lungs for 20 long minutes while we waited for a response from the authorities. This Soldier’s name was Sergeant First Class Daniel Ferguson, and his sacrifice loaned me the rest of my life to tell this story.

But I write to you today not to memorialize this brave Soldier, nor to tell a war story about how we made the best of a losing situation, but to express the part of that story that some in high positions of power clearly do not want told: I knew this was going to happen. I had been saying for five years that Fort Hood was a tinderbox of another massacre waiting to happen. It had to happen, because our betters failed to learn the obvious lesson of five years ago. Worse yet, I know it will happen again. More will die, more will be wounded, more families will be torn apart, needlessly. It happened again, and will happen again, because Fort Hood is a gun free zone.

When the first shots rang out, my hand reached to my belt for something that wasn’t there. Something that could have put a stop to the bloodshed, could have made it merely an “ugly incident” instead of the horrific massacre that I will surely remember as the darkest twenty minutes of my life. Stripped of my God-given Right to arm myself, the only defensive posture I had left was to lie prostrate on the ground, and wait to die. As the shooter kicked at the door, I remember telling myself, “oh well, this is it.” It is beneath human dignity to experience the utter helplessness I felt that day. I cannot abide the thought that anyone should ever feel that again.

At the point blank range at which this shooting occurred, anyone with an M9 and some basic instruction could have ended the mayhem as quickly as it began. An MP by trade and a CHL holder, I am convinced that concealed weapons would have stopped it, but openly carried side-arms, like the ones carried in a law enforcement capacity, could have prevented it entirely. Instead, many more died because of the fatally misguided restrictions on the carrying of arms, which obviously the madman did not respect.

I shall conclude by restating my warning. This will happen again, and again until we learn the lesson that suppressing the bearing of arms doesn’t prevent horrific crimes, it invites them. To those of you who hold elected office, if you hear nothing else I have told you, hear this: you have the power to stop the next massacre from happening. You have an opportunity to restore the sacred Right to bear arms, which has been either stripped entirely or unjustly relegated to the poor substitute of a probationary, government-issued privilege. For God’s sake, do the right thing.

Thank you for your attention, and good day.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Maybe this needs it's own thread?

Story: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...d-given-right/

Letter is not directly from above link.
    Just absolutely pathetic. The problem is this call is coming from an O-2 and not a General Officer. No General Officer who wants to keep their job is going to advocate for such thing. What will happen is more soldiers will carry illegally and more outstanding soldiers will have their careers ruined for nothing more than the desire to protect their troops and themselves.

It's really F'ed up.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Not looking good Tam:
    Holy... He really did say he was opposed to "routinely allowing arms on any base, military base, in the country."

Maybe they could keep their ****ing TANKS at the police station and go check them out before a war.

How in the nine billion names of God does someone so hard-of-thinking become chairman of the ****ing Joint Chiefs Of Staff? Jesus wept, my life was in that man's hands for four years and it's suddenly, painfully apparent that he couldn't reason his way out of a paper bag if there was a neon arrow pointing at the opening.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Jesus wept, my life was in that man's hands for four years and it's suddenly, painfully apparent that he couldn't reason his way out of a paper bag if there was a neon arrow pointing at the opening.
    I bet it depends on if the arrow pointed left or right of center

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

User Tag List