Page 88 of 807 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188588 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting incidents in the news.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    ...being in my home, with my family, my tolerance of non-compliant actions by a home invader will be lower than my tolerance of non-compliant actions by a suspect on the street.
    I wholeheartedly agree with that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    Sometimes Dad would indisputably be justified in shooting, and sometimes he absolutely wouldn't. I think this is a really interesting question
    Agreed...

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    .... at what point does a purported home invader's non-compliant actions put you in fear of your life when you're holding them at gunpoint?

S'Narc's AMIS class really put this issue into perspective for me; like a lot of things it's not as simple as it looks.
    If I'm at home, with family in close proximity, with an intruder at the end of my gun, there's only a very small window for non-compliance. If I'm looking at clear evidence of a crime (someone's been obviously assaulted or worse), the window is miniscule.

I'd like to think I could read the difference between "busted by dad" and "assaulted by intruder" on my kids face. Under pressure like that? Who knows? The window for non-compliance increases in direct proportion to my level of uncertainty there.

If I'm arguing for prosecution, I'd point to dad's leaving the scene (even for a few seconds) and returning armed while the "intruder" hung around and did (apparently) little after being discovered. But unless the daughter provides some testimony that dad "knew" the guy was invited prior to shooting, I don't see how a grand jury would find grounds to indict.... Again, given what little I've read.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This one is definately more problematic:

Woman fatally shoots Houston firefighter she thought was trying to get into her home .

http://www.kens5.com/home/MCSO-Woman...250832101.html
    Wow, that's tragic. I know 9:49ers can be "late" our "the middle of the night" for many seniors but it's still not that late.

If he lived next door, or even a couple doors away, I would think she had a chance to recognize him when she looked outside. Maybe no porch light? She didn't have her glasses on?

No matter how you look at it it's a crap sandwich for both, and their families.

Typos brought to you by my DROID... and my apathy.
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

Surprised no one posted this here yet: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/25...officials-say/

"A Navy news release Tuesday said the man approached the USS Mahan late Monday night at Naval Station Norfolk and was confronted by ship security personnel. The Navy said a struggle occurred, and the civilian disarmed the petty officer, and used the weapon to fatally shoot a sailor. The news release added that Navy security forces then killed the suspect."

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Off duty Rowan County, NC deputy kills robbery suspect.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...l#.UzPyG5K9KK0

Site Supporter
    OK, not exactly an "incident "

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    OK, not exactly an "incident "

That's not an incident. That's karma.

Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbj22 View Post
    That's awesome, at 900+ yards no less, lol. Guess we know what happens now when a 338 Lapua hits a suicide vest.

I don't know if social media qualifies as "the news" but this was on shared by Top Gun Supply's FB page and AFAIK has not yet been mentioned:
    American Strong - Navy SEAL Chris Heben was shot in the stomach in a parking lot at 5 PM yesterday by "3 gangbangers" according to his Facebook. He put a finger in the bullet hole and chased them to get a vehicle description, then drove himself to the hospital
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List