Page 140 of 807 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142150190240640 ... LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 8069

Thread: Shooting incidents in the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotex View Post
    Please share the unbiased source of conclusive evidence to this sentence. Obviously I was biased, because a high percentage of persons I arrested were Native American, right? Oh, wait....that was the primary demographic of the area I worked in. I've got news for you....when you and a car are passing each other at approach speeds between 60-140 MPH, particularly after sunset, you can barely make out a humanoid form in the driver's seat, let alone the person's race or ethnicity. The VAST majority of traffic stops are precipitated by the stop-ee committing a moving violation or the vehicle having an equipment violation. BTW, there is a reason some vehicles are identified as hoopties, rez rockets, etc. In the latter case, it had something to do with the amount of duct tape and/or baling wire holding the thing together.
    Sotex,
    I was really trying to be careful with my words so as not to make any absolute statements. Your situation is a bit unique because of the population you serve. But I did say "given the same circumstances" meaning that the situation is the same.

Between the Justice Dept, University Criminal Justice studies, the ACLU and other studies they are pretty conclusive. The problem here is that police bias is very localized. So it is difficult to make broad stroke statements, of which we have all done.

Here is the best site I have seen on the subject: http://fairandimpartialpolicing.com/bias/
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    Let's leave the cops biased stuff out of this thread, please.
    Good idea. Should not be pursued in this thread.

89 year old WWII Vet. And more bullets in your gun is better.
    Arthur M. Lewis may be elderly, but criminals are learning the North Palm Beach man is no easy mark.

The 89-year-old decorated World War II veteran foiled an armed robbery attempt Saturday afternoon at his Lake Park jewelry business that left a 44-year-old suspect with six gunshot wounds, but no loot.

Lewis was working behind the counter at The Jewelry Exchange at 900 N. Federal Highway when he was approached by a gun-wielding man around 3 p.m., according to an arrest report from the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office. Lewis said he immediately grabbed the suspect’s revolver and pulled out a .38-caliber handgun from his own pocket.

The two men wrestled for several minutes and fired shots at each other. Despite battling someone half his age, Lewis got the best of it. A man identified by the sheriff’s office as Lennard Patrick Jarvis, a Miramar resident, was shot six times by Lewis, including four times in the chest. Lewis’ left arm was grazed by a bullet, but he was otherwise unscathed.
    No one else was in the store at the time...

Lewis said Jarvis continued to fight with vigor, even with four gunshot wounds to the chest and one each to the wrist and leg. Large bullet holes remained in the store’s walls Monday and the area behind the counter where Lewis and Jarvis fought hand to hand was trashed.

“People think because he’s 89, he’s frail,” said Vivien Bresnahan, Lewis’ girlfriend. “That irritates me because he’s anything but (frail).”

Jarvis eventually stumbled over the counter toward the front door and asked Lewis to buzz him out. Lewis complied.

“I was so glad to get rid of him,”
    said Lewis, who has been in business for 20 years. “I’d had enough of him.”...

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    89 year old WWII Vet. And more bullets in your gun is better.
    Awesome! The store owner needs a bigger caliber handgun. But still awesome!

I dunno, .38-caliber handgun sounds like a revolver. Six on target... damn good shooting!
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

This is so stupid. Showing a 9 year old to shoot an Uzi in full auto mode......? Really? Irresponsible. When we don't enforce.safety and responsibility within our own ranks, legislation will surely be proposed.

9-Year-Old Accidentally Shoots Gun Teacher To Death With An Uzi - http://huff.to/1q2mZbN

How tragic for everyone.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I've been on the range when minors were using fully automatic weapons with adult supervision and nobody got hurt.

There are a whole lot of important details left out of that story. And remember that many would say anybody who lets a minor use a firearm is irresponsible...so you might want to reconsider how you're willing to draw that line.
    3/15/2016

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    This is so stupid. Showing a 9 year old to shoot an Uzi in full auto mode......? Really? Irresponsible.
    You're basing this on your vast experience in instructing people in operating machine pistols, I assume?

I mean, I'm no SME by any means, but I did have to give people check rides on the Uzi, MP5K, MP5A2, Colt 635, and a selector-equipped Glock 17 as part of my job for a few years, so I think I at least have some frame of reference, here. I'm all ears as to what you're basing your opinions on.
    Last edited by Tamara; 08-27-2014 at 08:01 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

73 yo vet gets it done.
    So, the 73-year-old Air Force veteran of the Vietnam War said, he grabbed his registered 380 Taurus semiautomatic handgun and left his second-floor bedroom for the main-floor living room.

And halfway down the stairs he spotted a man entering his home through a broken front picture window. Peering about 15 feet from the steps into the living room lighted only by a small table lamp, Jackson said he fired one round that grazed the torso of the man.
    After he fired, Jackson said, “I told him he better leave.’’

The man stepped back outside through the window and waited on the porch for police to arrive. Jackson said the man was bleeding from the gunshot wound and cuts from the broken glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I mean, I'm no SME by any means, but I did have to give people check rides on the Uzi, MP5K, MP5A2, Colt 635, and a selector-equipped Glock 17 as part of my job for a few years, so I think I at least have some frame of reference, here. I'm all ears as to what you're basing your opinions on.
    Yeah, but were any of the people 9 year olds, of the female persuasion, and perhaps getting their first exposure to a firearm?
    Granted we lack that detail, but I'm presuming a general lack of experience with firearms on the part of most 9 year olds, and it would have seemed more reasonable to start out with a single shot .22LR Chipmunk or something.

I taught my kids (both boys) to shoot when they were 8 years old, starting with .22LR, then 9mm, then later even a bit of .45ACP, but no full auto.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

User Tag List