Page 137 of 807 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147187237637 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 8062

Thread: Shooting incidents in the news.

http://www.times-standard.com/localn...defend-husband

"The Eureka Police Department is currently searching for two male suspects, one of whom may have a gunshot wound to the leg, after a woman shot at a man who attacked her husband..."

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    It's not complicated: Racism is still present in many communities, and these reports show that. Policemen and policewomen are going to inherit some of that, either from their own upbringing and experience or from the community they live in. In some cases it's worse than others. When you are on a mostly white police force and you see criminal behavior in the majority black community day in and day out, it's bound to create a bias. This is not new...we have known this to be the case for a long time. It is worse in many southern states. I am not saying that bias is wrong, but I am saying that, as public servants who are sworn to be fair to all, police have to be self-aware of those predispositions and ensure they are treating blacks with the same level of fairness they would whites. The black people in Ferguson are experiencing the results of that bias and Michael Brown was just the spark that ignited the community. I am not saying the Ferguson PD is a bunch of KKK. What I am saying is the net result of their enforcement over the years THEY FEEL is very unfair due to the way police treat them, which they view as racist. My main point is that racism still affects us all, police too.
    Cody

Cody
    Somewhat OT, but that premise is at odds with what I've encountered.

The majority of arrested people are minorities because minorities are committing the most crimes, due to aforementioned cultural problems. Racism or bias has nothing to do with that outcome, any more then a Beverly Hills BMW salesman is racist because he rarely sells cars to poor black people.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

4 people shot while attending a Jewish museum in Brussels, Belgium.

http://www.bignewsnetwork.com/index....-Jewish-museum

Oddly enough, not a peep about the physical description of the attacker.

Strange, innit?

Racism has been around since the beginning.

I'd put money on it being around to the end.

Also, there seems to be some confusion about racism and bigotry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Thanks for mentioning that.

It's a point I try to explain (too often in vain) when the topic is aired, for whatever reason.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    4 people shot while attending a Jewish museum in Brussels, Belgium.

http://www.bignewsnetwork.com/index....-Jewish-museum

Strange, innit?
    It's only racism or bigotry if it's white perpetrators and black victims.
    #RESIST

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post

Strange, innit?
    "Hates Jews" narrows the perpetrator pool right down, doesn't it? Could be anybody from Hesse to the Horn of Africa. (Although, given current events, I'll bet on a Levantine-looking dude making some statement against Zionism by shooting people who hardly have even a tangential relationship to it.)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Racism has been around since the beginning.

I'd put money on it being around to the end.

Bill I've tried sending you a PM but your mailbox is full. Would you please contact me when you have time.
    Thanks
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by md8232 View Post
    Bill I've tried sending you a PM but your mailbox is full. Would you please contact me when you have time.
    Thanks
    bill(dot)riehl(at)blackfireeng.com

When you are on a mostly white police force and you see criminal behavior in the majority black community day in and day out, it's bound to create a bias. This is not new...we have known this to be the case for a long time.
    So, Cody,

You're saying that because I spent eleven years as a white cop on an Indian reservation, then I must have some bias against Native Americans? Or was my inevitable bias mitigated by most of my co-workers also being Native? I find your assumptions not only completely incorrect, but highly offensive.

Tell me, why are you biased against Southerners? Or is it that everybody knows that they're all just backward and racist down there.

User Tag List