Page 761 of 811 FirstFirst ... 261661711751759760761762763771 ... LastLast
Results 7,601 to 7,610 of 8103

Thread: Shooting incidents in the news.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    My local mall is a Simon property. It has a list of rules on the entrances, one of which has words to the effect of "no weapons allowed". The most they can do under LA state law if you're found to be carrying is ask you to leave. If you refuse, then it's trespassing with the legal penalties that go with it.
    Yeah, that's how it is in AL as well. I joke that my TX LTC is good in 36 states and I know how to carry without getting arrested in 3 of them.

The "places off limits even with a permit" section of handgunlaw.us is always interesting. Signage requirements are just the tip of the iceberg. There's absolutely no consistency between states, even 'gun friendly' states. In some places the premises of a prohibited area is just the building, in others it's all real-estate sometimes including the parking lot. Some places you can legally carry at a protest (i.e. Garrett Foster) in others it's explicitly prohibited. Same for sporting events, polling places, etc.

Site Supporter
    Years ago, when the TX and OR laws were being proposed, the anti carry folks clearly stated that they wanted to maximize carry restrictions to make carry pratically useless. Signage, threats of higher insurance premiums to businesses, sensitive locales, strict training requirements, insurance needed for carriers, etc.

All those are coming into play. The CCIA's opt-in was a quite nasty ploy that negated the praised rhetoric of the Scotus yachtman. So you can't ban Manhattan in general. Ok, just ban every business in the state by default. Making Bruen a NYS total loss.

This is a diversion from shooting incidents. NYS is loosing up a bit on houses of worship 'security' teams to try to moot some suits. Still the family of orthodox Jews walking on predictable paths to synagogue can't carry. See them all the time. This will clearly lower the urban crime rate and prevent massacres from Hasidim, who are know to go berserk on the way to prayer or buying Kosher food at the Tops with the best Kosher section. Oh, racist monsters never target a Tops anyway - never happen.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I just checked the Posted! app, and the mall isn’t listed as being posted. I’m not sure how much that app is being used down here, though.
    Never heard of that one....

Have you compared it to this one?
    https://play.google.com/store/search...hl=en_US&gl=US
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Never heard of that one....

Have you compared it to this one?
    https://play.google.com/store/search...hl=en_US&gl=US
    Posted! is popular in some states, but thank you for the lead to the TX specific app - that’s what I’ve needed.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I’m still stunned by how carry unfriendly TX is compared to NH.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Site Supporter
    I’m still stunned by how carry unfriendly TX is compared to NH.
    Apologies for the continued Tangent....

TX has this strange (and IMO WRONG) thinking about "private property" applying to businesses open to the public... I'm not a native, so, I'm struggling to understand it... We can stop a liquor store from opening on Sunday (and lots of other government demands), but, we can't require that liquor store to honor an enumerated right because... Private Property rights?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    I just checked the Posted! app, and the mall isn’t listed as being posted. I’m not sure how much that app is being used down here, though.
    I did not know about the Posted app before today. It is now on my phone along with Legal Heat.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Apologies for the continued Tangent....

TX has this strange (and IMO WRONG) thinking about "private property" applying to businesses open to the public... I'm not a native, so, I'm struggling to understand it... We can stop a liquor store from opening on Sunday (and lots of other government demands), but, we can't require that liquor store to honor an enumerated right because... Private Property rights?
    As much as I hate no guns signs, this is where one right collides with another right. The business owner either owns the business property or pays rent for the exclusive use of the business property. They should have the right to decide who and what comes on the property, and what activities are allowed on the property.

I would prefer that such issues be handled strictly under trespass law, which I think balances the rights more equitably.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I would prefer that such issues be handled strictly under trespass law, which I think balances the rights more equitably.
    This is how it was done in NH. Signs did not have the force of law, but if a property owner told you to leave you did or were trespassed. At least that was my understanding of statute, I never had issues.
    Ken

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    If you are, Hispanic, and you kill a black person in self-defense, then you are considered white. Just ask George Zimmerman.
    An analysis of Latin American politics and race: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/12/o...-shooting.html

The Myth of the Lone Wolf Latino

The alleged shooter in last weekend’s massacre at an outlet mall in Allen, Texas — which left eight people dead and at least seven injured — wore a vest inscribed with the letters RWDS, short for Right Wing Death Squad, and had tattoos of a swastika and an S.S. lightning bolt insignia.

He was also Latino, a fact that has bewildered some people following this tragedy.

But Latino participation in extremist political projects has a long history in the United States, going back to the John Birch Society. And with the rise of digital organizing in recent years, Latino involvement in the far-right movement is in fact growing. We must understand the alleged shooter in Allen within this context, or else we risk seeing him as a lone wolf rather than as a member of a growing and dangerous movement that will require focused attention to defeat.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List