Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new addition SIG 228

new addition SIG 228

I went through a SIG phase a couple of years ago before going back to GLOCKs. I love the "idea" of the classic P series but just can't run them or shoot them as well as my GLOCKs or even the M&Ps. The DA/SA just isn't my bag. In the end I sold off all my SIGs.

However, still kind of wanted one back just to have. I found a local deal I couldn't pass up and picked this up today.

It's nothing really special other than the "deal". It's a KB dated Swiss Police trade-in in the condition one would expect. It was stamped GERMANY on the slide at the same time it was imported by PW Arms in Redmond, WA. It has bright night sights and new springs. I just ordered new grip screws to replace the dogs that are in it now. I cleaned it and lubed it this afternoon and it feels really good. I can't wait to shoot it.

I picked up the pistol, 3 MecGar hi-cap mags loaded with Talons, and a bag full of holsters for $500. I am keeping one of the holsters and a double pouch just to have and listed the rest on a dedicated SIG forum. Once they sell I'll have less than $400 in the gun w/ decent night sights, 3 mags, and a decent holster & dbl pouch. I feel pretty good about it.

Anything I should be aware of or know about these guns? I don't plan to carry it or use it for competition or anything. I'll just be a range/house gun.
    Last edited by VolGrad; 02-26-2012 at 01:00 PM.

$500 package huh. Well, head to confession later after you shoot it. lol That's nice.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I actually thought it was a better deal than it was originally. I hadn't realized the Swiss trade-ins were as readily available since I don't follow the dedicated SIG forum any longer. I still sort of thought any old 228 in decent condition was at least a $600+ gun. I figured with night sights and a bag full of holsters I was really getting away with something here.

I still feel I did alright though, pending a range visit.

Be sure and slap an SRT kit in there. Also, and I'm sure you know, the breech face inserts for the older stamped steel slides are kinda hard to find. I haven't been able to locate an online source that isn't sold out. That part shouldn't break for a very very long time, but you never know. I sold my P228 because, for some reason, I just shot my P226 way better. Also, I wanted to consolidate all of my Sigs down to stainless slide models. I may pick up a P229 w/E2 grips @ some point. A good source for mags is www.topgunsupply.com. They have the nickel Mec-Gars for around $20.

That's a smoking' deal! Awesome.

On paper it just seems like Sigs aren't competitive in a Glock and M&P world. They are too thick, too tall, and too heavy for the number of rounds on board. And a TDA trigger? Who the heck wants to learn how to use one of those?

But good grief are they sexy. And the older ones tend to be quite accurate, run like sewing machines, and last forever with good PM.

Enjoy that P228. Let me know if end up wanting to sell that one too.

Nice! I'm looking hard at the SigPro as I get serious about this pistol thing (I *want* to learn TDA, and with a 4 month old, I need affordable), but if I found a deal like that on a 228, I'd sure jump on it.

I really regret parting with my P228.

I might pick up another one if I run across one at a good price / condition.

What's the over and under on how long VolGrad keeps this one? LOL

That's the one SIG that I've ever really wanted (don't ask me why). Good for you.
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

I would have let you borrow mine for a few months. I haven't shot it in about 2 years.

User Tag List