Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Act of Valor

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Free access to mass media without the filter of consequence, exascerbated by anonymity.

My name is Jack Leuba, and I approve this post.
    Spot on.

Sent from my ADR6400L

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    However, what credibility was earned that way, got immediately lost for me after the first extraction episode due to poor screenplay. What, we have only one platoon of SEALs to hit consecutive targets and do recon in multiple spots on the globe within compressed span of a time?
    From what I understand, that came from a desire to show as many possible facets of varied SEAL ops in a short time frame.

Remember that it supposedly was originally just going to be a recruiting flick and kinda sorta turned into a feature length motion picture almost by accident.

If you approach it as basically a string of vignettes that show "Look, HALO! Look, SDV! Look, night-time direct action! Look, VBSS! Look, sneaking around in the jungle! Look, Boat Guys! And guns, guns, guns!" and tie it together with a thread of a plot and a reminder of sacrifices at the end, and not an actual story like For Whom The Bell Tolls or whatever, it holds up a lot better.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Just saw it and the boat exfil made my year. What was right about this movie was showing what was wrong about every Hollywood movie. Other than that, the poem rocked at the end and made me proud of my country. Here's a copy. And no I don't know the photographer/site, it was the first place to pop up.

http://www.waynemoran.com/blog2/2012...f-valor-movie/

Sent using Tapatalk.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

This flick is out on Blu-Ray and DVD now. Part of the proceeds from the sale goes to Operation Homefront.

Naturally the discs contain extras. Great things like interviews with active duty SEALS. Director's commentary. Keith Urban's music video. Deleted scenes.

Supporting OH makes the purchase worthy in and of itself. The interviews with these warriors are priceless.

Worth every $$$$ and then some.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Finally watched it.

Acting was pretty bad. But knowing all but one of those guys, I can attest that they are very good at their day jobs.

Also worth noting, each scenario faced in the movie was loosely adapted from actual events over the past ten years. I suppose it's easier to see when you know what the actual event was and how they tweaked it. It was intended to be a recruiting movie, not a Silver Screen action blockbuster. It evolved, and Act of Valor is where it ended up. Hopefully it will ignite a spark in the next generation who looked at all of that shit and said "Hell yeah, that's what I wanna be when I grow up".

And while none of the men whose names scroll through before the credits roll can ever be replaced, we still need to find quality individuals to go and do what others can't, or won't do.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Acting was pretty bad. But knowing all but one of those guys, I can attest that they are very good at their day jobs.
    And that right there, says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by da6dspanburg View Post
    And that right there, says it all.
    Absolutely! And I'm glad they're so good at it. (And it's nice to see at least some of my tax dollars accomplishing something worthy.)

Watching the flick again last night with the director's commentaries "on", it was immediately apparent how much they, the directors, respected these men. They would tell the SEALS what they wanted done and then let the SEALS set it up and go with it. They commented over and over again at how difficult it was to keep up with the team.

Fantastic chemistry and that is what makes the flick so great.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Recruiting films work. When I saw Top Gun I wanted to fly fighter jets...at least up until the volleyball scene. After that it was pretty much EJECTEJECTEJECT...

Reading the reviews on Amazon.com is always a hoot. Apparently some folks in San Francisco were offended by this movie. As a result, I ordered a copy for my old man fo r Father's Day.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Just saw it and the boat exfil made my year.
    Amen. We got into a scrap or six on the Euphrates, with SURCs instead of SOC-Rs, and weren't nearly as smooth (Light Armored Reconnaissance bubbas, shoehorned into a provisional mission...), but remembering how incoming fire from booger-eaters just....kinda...drops off....when a GAU opens up...much less more than one GAU...

Can't really call what it evoked a smile....it's all teeth, and doesn't touch the eyes.

User Tag List