Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New orleans?

New orleans?

Howdy all, I'm going to be spending a couple of days in New Orleans in a few weeks. Anyone from there?
    What are the best things to do/see/eat/drink?

Any particular places to stay away from?
    All the world's a lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by TCz View Post
    Any particular places to stay away from?
    New Orleans.

I haven't been in a few years but can tell you it's a dangerous city with a very high crime rate. Ask your hotel staff what areas to stay away from and places they'd recommend you go to. If you're not carrying and decide to imbibe be aware that many of the drinks down on Bourbon St. like Hurricanes, Hand Grenades, etc. will F you up severely if you don't have a high alcohol tolerance, as in roofie time.

The local criminals know that tourists go down in and around the French Quarter and it's a mecca for crime from pick pockets and thieves to stick up guys and plenty of murders so be careful and keep your head on a swivel. Situational awareness is your best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    New Orleans.
    I figured as much. It wasn't high on my list of places to go, but my folks decided the destination.

I won't be drinking (alcohol), but I know we'll likely be going to restaurants that serve it. LA law is ... confusing, but it seems that any place that serves alcohol is a no go for carrying. I will be carrying pepper spray, knife, cell phone and most importantly, trying not to become a statistic.
    All the world's a lathe.

New Orleans is a dirty hole, and I love it. I've been there several times before and after Katrina. The downtown area escaped serious damage and was fully rebuilt to it's pre-Katrina condition 6 months after the hurricane, but outside of the tourist areas are still decrepit.

As far as restaurants, Commander's Palace is excellent, and K-Paul's on Chartres is simply one of the best restaurants anywhere in the world. The beef with debris sauce is what I'm asking for on my death bed. If you're going to be out at night, prearrange a cab to and from your hotel to the Quarter, stay in a group, and be aware of your surroundings. With most big cities at night, you can have an excellent time or a really bad time.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    My two favorite places to eat are:
    Harbor Seafood Restaurant in Kenner : MAP.
    Mother's, on Poydras : MAP

Harbor is a hole in the wall that's both a fish market and restaurant. Great specials on Oysters and crawfish in season, and the Artichoke/Oyster soup is TDF.! If it's crowded when you get there, just grab a beer and hang outside in the parking lot with the locals. Mothers is THE place for Jambalaya, they're famous for their "Debris" po-boy, and if you like butter, biscuits, bacon and grits, it's a great place for a weekday breakfast.

MY rule of thumb on New Orleans restaurants.... NO Chains... NONE. And.. The seedier the better.
    Although, Commanders Palace is a treat.

Not sure where the hot spots are for music these days, but, check out http://www.offbeat.com/ and http://www.nola.com/music/ for who is playing where. You just missed Fat Tuesday (Yesterday), so it's the relatively quiet period from now to St. Paddy's Day.

Used to be O'Flaherty's for great Irish music and atmosphere in the FQ, but alas, they're closed for a while now.

Have fun...
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 02-22-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Best steak in town is Mr. John's Steakhouse on St. Charles.

New Orleans can be a lot of fun - it's much better post-Katrina IMO. If you stay around people and keep a decent degree of SA you should be fine. I would avoid dark alleys and unpopulated areas, which are easy to accidentally wander into if you get too far off the beaten path (Bourbon, St. Charles etc.) You are much more likely to run into street hustlers than you are to stick up guys - street hustlers are just part of New Orleans so don't take it personally - just don't engage with them.

If you don't go to the World War II museum you're really missing out - there is a movie presentation that they offer there which is absolutely incredible. They built the theater around the movie and I think the Band of Brothers production crew did it or the same director or something like that. I spent 3-4 hours there last time I was there and could have spent longer.

ACME Oyster House in the Quarter
    Central Grocery for a muffuletta sandwich
    Commander's Palace
    K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen
    Galatoire's Restaurant
    Cafe DuMonde for coffee and beignets
    French Market
    French Quarter to people watch
    Tipitina's for live music

New Orleans is a city I can't wait to get back to. I actually responded to a listing for someone in my field at the WWII Museum, but never heard back. The city is dirty, and loaded to the gills with tourists pretty much constantly, but the fact that you can walk down a street and see a dozen different establishments, all with live music pouring out the doors... I love it.
    I don't understand what's happening, but I have a soldering iron.

My two favorite music spots on bourbon st: Maison Bourbon and Fritzel's. Maison Bourbon is traditional early jazz (think Louis Armstrong), and Fritzel's is dixieland jazz. Frenchmen Street is another great area for music. I saw some great bands at Maison (on Frenchmen St).

Aside from the booze and music, New Orleans is a great town to eat in. Hard to find a bad restaurant. Yo Mama's on St. Peter Street has great burgers, and cheap drinks. It's a great place to stop for grub if you're out and about near Bourbon Street. Also, there's a pretty vibrant art scene in the French Quarter. I bought a small painting the last time I was down there.

As far as crime goes, situational awareness is your friend. I was unarmed except for a swiss army knife and a flashlight. And I was drinking. My friend and I didn't have any problems. Pay attention to your surroundings, and maybe don't keep your wallet in a back pocket that doesn't have a snap or button.

User Tag List