Page 217 of 232 FirstFirst ... 117167207215216217218219227 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,170 of 2317

Thread: What did you shoot today?

.22 day at the range

Took my S&W M&P 22 Compact and my 6920 with CMMG 22lr conversion kit to the indoor range.

Acknowledging that I'm not that good, and that the M&P is fun but not a tack-driver, I'm not unhappy with the results. The blues were shot at seven yards and the reds at 10 yards. Shot CCI SV 40 gr LRN, 20 rounds at each segment.

It was CMMG test day for the converted AR. I had a mix of Federal 36 gr CPHP, CCI Mini-Mag 40 gr CPRN, and 40-year-old Remington Viper 36 gr conical, 65 rounds in all. Target was set at 17 yards. The AR is zeroed at 100 yards on 55 gr 5.56 NATO, so the low hits can be expected. Don't count the holes!

I wish I had kept track of which cartridge was which. I had about a half dozen stovepipes, one FTE that I had to clear with a cleaning rod after I removed the bolt assembly, and a couple of what seemed to be double feeds. Silly me for not keeping track of the ammo causing the malfunction. The CMMG system has no bolt catch so clearing the malfunctions became a bit of a challenge. The bolt will stay open on an empty mag, but drops into battery when the magazine is removed.

Speaking of dropping into battery, maybe three or four times the bolt didn't push the cartridge home. This has happened before in both the Compact and my Ruger Standard with that old Remington ammo so I wasn't terribly surprised. Since I bought the Bravo kit, it came without the forward assist. The only way to fix it was to drop the mag, manually eject, and reload.

The forward assist part and an ARCatch22 bolt catch adapter are on order ...

Quote Originally Posted by NukeRef View Post
    a mix of Federal 36 gr CPHP, CCI Mini-Mag 40 gr CPRN, and 40-year-old Remington Viper 36 gr conical,
    Try as I have, only the 40gr Federal automatch and 40 CCI AR tactical will reliably and consistently run my ancient chrome plated ciener kit or its modern descendant the CMMG kit for me. I have those bolts in a 10.5 for my registered SBR lower, and a CMMG 16" carbine I purpose built without a gas tube years ago, both 1/12 twist, and they just run it seems. I got frustrated with trying other ammo, stocked up, but I am sure there are other choices. I got the 36gr Remington golden bullet bulk stuff to run some of the time but I expect a malfunction every other magazine at least when running that.

Would love to know what else people are getting to run reliably for volume shooting in the CMMG or older Ciener conversions.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Site Supporter
    Took my S&W M&P 22 Compact and my 6920 with CMMG 22lr conversion kit to the indoor range.

Acknowledging that I'm not that good, and that the M&P is fun but not a tack-driver, I'm not unhappy with the results. The blues were shot at seven yards and the reds at 10 yards. Shot CCI SV 40 gr LRN, 20 rounds at each segment.

It was CMMG test day for the converted AR. I had a mix of Federal 36 gr CPHP, CCI Mini-Mag 40 gr CPRN, and 40-year-old Remington Viper 36 gr conical, 65 rounds in all. Target was set at 17 yards. The AR is zeroed at 100 yards on 55 gr 5.56 NATO, so the low hits can be expected. Don't count the holes!

I wish I had kept track of which cartridge was which. I had about a half dozen stovepipes, one FTE that I had to clear with a cleaning rod after I removed the bolt assembly, and a couple of what seemed to be double feeds. Silly me for not keeping track of the ammo causing the malfunction. The CMMG system has no bolt catch so clearing the malfunctions became a bit of a challenge. The bolt will stay open on an empty mag, but drops into battery when the magazine is removed.

Speaking of dropping into battery, maybe three or four times the bolt didn't push the cartridge home. This has happened before in both the Compact and my Ruger Standard with that old Remington ammo so I wasn't terribly surprised. Since I bought the Bravo kit, it came without the forward assist. The only way to fix it was to drop the mag, manually eject, and reload.

The forward assist part and an ARCatch22 bolt catch adapter are on order ...

I have a complete CMMG upper - like many semi autos it prefers higher velocity ammo.

If it will run with CCI mini mag, then it is likely an ammo issue not a gun issue.

In my experience, any semi auto 22, that will run with CCI mini mag will also run with Aguila “super extra” which is a dollar or two cheaper per box than mini mags.

I'm pretty sure Mini Mags were all I ran when I had just the conversion bolt. Now that I've put together a dedicated upper with that same bolt, Mini Mags will be my starting point when I hit the range for function testing. I need reliability, not match grade accuracy.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Hit the range for the first time in 2 months - first real independent trip to this indoor range I joined back in may. Been time starved in residency, on a lax rotation and decided t was time to actually use my $350/yr membership.

I havent shot pistols in a while and I suck. Had a good time however. Pistol cans are neat but I think next time will not oly shoot suppressed. Not quite the same experience.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I have a complete CMMG upper - like many semi autos it prefers higher velocity ammo.

If it will run with CCI mini mag, then it is likely an ammo issue not a gun issue.

In my experience, any semi auto 22, that will run with CCI mini mag will also run with Aguila “super extra” which is a dollar or two cheaper per box than mini mags.
    I just got a promo email from Norma USA hawking their new .22LR XTREME 43 gr rocket tail rounds. ONLY $24.99 for a box of 50! Yikes! For that price I'll shoot 5.56.

Seriously though, I do like the Mini-Mags. If that's what I have to feed it, that's what I'll do eventually. In the meantime, I have 150 rounds of Remington junk left out of the brick, some Norma USA TAC-22, some Winchester Super-X, and a brick of Armscor HV CPHP that will all get tryouts. If the LGS has some Aguila on the shelf I'll give them a try as well.

One thing for sure, next time I'll keep track.

Site Supporter
    I just got a promo email from Norma USA hawking their new .22LR XTREME 43 gr rocket tail rounds. ONLY $24.99 for a box of 50! Yikes! For that price I'll shoot 5.56.

Seriously though, I do like the Mini-Mags. If that's what I have to feed it, that's what I'll do eventually. In the meantime, I have 150 rounds of Remington junk left out of the brick, some Norma USA TAC-22, some Winchester Super-X, and a brick of Armscor HV CPHP that will all get tryouts. If the LGS has some Aguila on the shelf I'll give them a try as well.

One thing for sure, next time I'll keep track.
    If you’re shooting a $5000 Voodoo rimfire rifle with a $2000 or $3000 scope on it .50 a round is not significant.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Hit the range for the first time in 2 months - first real independent trip to this indoor range I joined back in may. Been time starved in residency, on a lax rotation and decided t was time to actually use my $350/yr membership.

I havent shot pistols in a while and I suck. Had a good time however. Pistol cans are neat but I think next time will not oly shoot suppressed. Not quite the same experience.

Love that Ruger!

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Love that Ruger!
    thanks!

It was a plain-jane ~2008 manufacture 22/45, sent it to this guy who did great work for a great price with fast turnaround

SHould probably have him to the trigger job and drop ree mag stuff for the lower but I don't compete with it or anything so I really don't care.

Did your guy do the slabside as well or was that factory?

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    thanks!

It was a plain-jane ~2008 manufacture 22/45, sent it to this guy who did great work for a great price with fast turnaround

SHould probably have him to the trigger job and drop ree mag stuff for the lower but I don't compete with it or anything so I really don't care.
    Name:  IMG_2001.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  22.1 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List