Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Old Texas LEO pic...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    In the pics above, where the folks are on a dirt road shooting up at something with shotguns..What are they shooting at? Also the pic above that of the gal standing in a barn yard..she's wearing heels? Hope she dosen't hit any "land mines"..LOL.. I love looking at old pics like these, thanks for posting them...
    That would almost for certain be dove season and it looks like a good day! The old limit was 10 and now it's 15. I've been on some fields on opening day when you would limit out in ~15 minutes. It's a cultural and social event, not just hunting.

As for that Texas Ranger, that is a real deal Ranger. I recall seeing Rangers early in my career and they looked just like that. The stories around them were nearly unbelievable today, but when you realize that they started as a paramilitary Indian fighting (actually Indian killing) organization things get a bit clearer. I won't share my two favorite Ranger stories here, but next time some of us raise a cold one, I will.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 07-10-2018 at 07:58 AM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    In the pics above, where the folks are on a dirt road shooting up at something with shotguns..What are they shooting at?
    Judging by how they're dressed, probably doves. Dove season starts in late summer, so short sleeves and khakis make sense because Texas is still pretty warm through the end of October. Pheasant season and duck season are later in the year, when Texas can get surprisingly cold. It also looks like the woman in the hat and the kid wearing the vest each have several birds in hand, and those birds are too small to be either pheasants or ducks.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    That sample has some beautiful wood!
    That's the original Belgian walnut. I got the gun at a garage sale for $200. Because Texas.

I have tracked down a set of American walnut replacements, along with another barrel. I'll leave the original bits alone, and lop off the replacement parts I got. I can engrave the barrel as part of the SBS paperwork, and leave the receiver alone.

There is a part of me that would love to send it to Turnbull after I get it all set up.

Thank you! That is very helpful.

The snazzy 1911, hand tooled gunleather, cowboy boots, and hat are still regular gear for a lot of Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    That's the original Belgian walnut. I got the gun at a garage sale for $200. Because Texas.

I have tracked down a set of American walnut replacements, along with another barrel. I'll leave the original bits alone, and lop off the replacement parts I got. I can engrave the barrel as part of the SBS paperwork, and leave the receiver alone.

There is a part of me that would love to send it to Turnbull after I get it all set up.
    Dude.

You can't even buy a replacement barrel for an A5 for $200 most of the time.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

That looks like a 1960's Plymouth Valiant with moon discs and wide white walls in the dove hunting picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    This picture got me looking in the Traces of Texas page. Lots of old school cops and guns. And some old school ladies with guns...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current NMSP uniforms are nearly identical to this. What a great picture!

Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  55.5 KB
    Name:  030501618f6ec40add8fc1d519d0e384.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  82.9 KB
    Last edited by JDM; 07-10-2018 at 01:43 PM.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post

Name:  030501618f6ec40add8fc1d519d0e384.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  82.9 KB
    I’m willing to bet the guys in the original picture didn’t have French tips on their nails. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post

What a sweetie!

NMSP is one of those agencies where you don't wanna mess up or mess around with those folks!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List