Page 23 of 53 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Fundamentals, Accuracy, & Speed Test (F.A.S.T.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    3.70: 1.10, .35 / 1.59 / .24, .20, .22
    Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    New personal best yesterday, continuing to observe the rescinded three-runs-a day rule.

3.70: 1.10, .35 / 1.59 / .24, .20, .22
    Outstanding!!

A clarification question on the FAST rules... Mods, please move if this is in the wrong place.

I use the following duty gear and shoot the FAST with it often. Safariland ALS 6390 w/ ALS Guard, Safariland slimline #79 mag pouch. What time penalty or allowance should be incurred with this combination of gear?

http://pistol-training.com/drills/the-fast

If shooter is using a retention holster and flap (covered) magazine pouches, subtract 0.5 seconds from the recorded time. If shooter is using an open-top retention holster (e.g., Blackhawk SERPA or Safariland ALS) with no concealment, add 0.50 seconds to the recorded time.
    The mag pouch stuff is only specific to flapped, ICW SLS-or-similar holster for an allowance; the Slimline pouches net neither a penalty nor an allowance with your rig, the only difference they provide is orientation of rounds, which is a user's decision (or perhaps organizational SOP...?).

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    http://pistol-training.com/drills/the-fast

The mag pouch stuff is only specific to flapped, ICW SLS-or-similar holster for an allowance; the Slimline pouches net neither a penalty nor an allowance with your rig, the only difference they provide is orientation of rounds, which is a user's decision (or perhaps organizational SOP...?).
    Okay, I think that makes sense. My OCD wants to get wrapped around this axle, so I'll just shut up, draw smoother, and shoot faster.

I don't make the FASTest rules, but as long as this is being discussed, I have always thought a .5 deduction for an ALS, but a 3 second deduction for open carry was illogical, since an ALS is darn near as fast as an open top holster? Especially since the FAST start position is hands at the side, the ALS becomes a gift compared to open carry.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I don't make the FASTest rules, but as long as this is being discussed, I have always thought a .5 deduction for an ALS, but a 3 second deduction for open carry was illogical, since an ALS is darn near as fast as an open top holster? Especially since the FAST start position is hands at the side, the ALS becomes a gift compared to open carry.
    I went to an ALS duty holster from the SLS late last year. It is lightning fast, even with the ALS guard that renders it a level II. Some regular practice hitting the guard on the way in and throwing the tab on the way out renders it an open top, nearly retentionless holster.

Site Supporter
    Nevermind...posted something while suffering from inadequate caffeine levels.
    Last edited by Dave J; 01-26-2013 at 12:00 PM.

What would the advanced etc, times be shot from 10meters (11-ish yards) due to range limiting me from shooting closer than 10m.

Thanks

Best guess is an additional .7 at 10 yards, with .5 for the first two to the 3x5, and .05 for each of the four to the eight inch circle. Shooting the 3x5 at 10 and 12 yards is a great way to make seven yards seem closer.

User Tag List