Page 15 of 53 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Fundamentals, Accuracy, & Speed Test (F.A.S.T.)

We are diminished
    markp -- First of all, a 6.37 is nothing to sneeze at.. especially if you can reach a point where that's something you can do on demand without warmup.

Second, as you can see, misses crush the score on this test. It is so much better to take an extra moment to verify your sights, and another extra moment to perform a proper trigger press, because even if that costs you half a second on the drill it reaps huge rewards with a clean run.

I see that as a parallel with any other shooting-under-stress problem, too. At Southnarc's AMIS class early this year, during the final scenario I rushed a head shot by just a fraction of a second and found myself eye sprinting instead of guaranteeing a good hit. My shot glanced off the side of the bad guy's helmet and in real life most likely would have whizzed past his head instead of entering it. Pulling it together and doing what's necessary to get the shot is what it's all about...

My wife and I are signed up for an AFHF in Utah in early October. Since I understand you need to shoot at least one FASTest for concealment during the course, and I have been mostly open carrying, but not shooting, a 14 inch 870 or .375 H&H this summer in Alaska, with a G29 or Smith .44 for back-up, I figured I better get out on the range with a timer today and try a couple of these drills from concealment. I did three with an M&P 9 Pro with a FSS trigger, two with an HK45C LEM, one with an M&P 45 mid-size, and videoed them for diagnostic purposes. As an aside, I sure do have to work harder with the HK LEM trigger, and especially support hand only, although I really like that trigger in extreme cold like we at times get in the winter up here and for appendix carry.

Here is a link to one with the M&P Pro, that was clean and within .20 of the other two I shot with that pistol. Suggestions for improvement are appreciated. I will upload one from the HK and M&P 45 when I get a minute, but not much surprise in that I shoot them slower than the 9. I made the range 8 yards, to make sure my long arms were not giving me an advantage, and if you look closely, you can still see some of our famous Alaskan bugs flying around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIHhAOYL8c4

6.71 Clean.
    In an AFHF class.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    6.71 Clean.
    In an AFHF class.
    Great work, especially in class where all eyes are on you.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Thank you GS.

Best run ever tonight. 7.24 -2h -1B. awesome.................... This was the second run at the test tonight, first one at the start of the night was 4.24 clean. Then end of the night this abomination. Shanked the first shot, was anticipating the reload and shanked the second even lower. Blew the reload as I already knew I was off for at least one of the 3x5 shots, and I should have just dumped the mag and gone for a new one, but I didn't and decided to fumble and mess about getting the mag in the gun, then just got lazy and fired 4 shots and allowed one to climb out of the circle. Rather frustrating end to a good class and previouly flawless demos for my students. sad sad sad.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

We are diminished
    Slavex, of particular interest to you: After a lot of deliberation, I've settled on THREE SECONDS as the penalty for shooting the F.A.S.T. from open (no concealment, no retention).

6.81 clean last night with GS.
    #RESIST

So to shoot expert from open/no retention, you have to shoot the drill in it's entirety in 2 seconds. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Slavex, of particular interest to you: After a lot of deliberation, I've settled on THREE SECONDS as the penalty for shooting the F.A.S.T. from open (no concealment, no retention).
    Time to haul out my Open gun.

User Tag List